Easy-to-build steerable nosewheel?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
How about suggestions for an easy-to-build, bolt-together, free-castering nosewheel without welding?
The no welding limitation does make simple/easy a bit harder ;).

How about a couple of aluminum "U" channels cut to length and facing each other with a bolt through both for the pivot - bolt/rivet some aluminum arms on one for the wheel mount - and a couple of "U" bolts on the other clamping the assembly to a fiberglass/spring steel rod leg?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Those Wipline nosewheels do look slick, though I thought free-castering nosewheels were a no-no for floatplanes/amphibians. I guess they just get up enough speed going up the ramp not to worry about it. Anybody have a clear, closeup pic or drawing of a Wipline nosewheel?

FritzW

Log Member
What about a Glass/Carbon fork? Easy enough to hand layup over a form and band saw out the shape. This would only take a band saw, drill press, tube bender, courage and determination. (just a sketch, I didn't add bearings are anything)

NW no weld 1.jpg NW no weld 2.jpg

NW no weld EXP.jpg NW no weld EXP 2.jpg

NW Fork no weld 1.jpg NW Fork no weld 2.jpg

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Note the castor and trail of the Durand MkV nose gear as compared to other castoring nose wheels.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Whist we've side tracked to castering nose wheels, I'm working on a new design which will have a retractable/castoring nose wheel. My questions are, how to stop shimmy and how to hold the wheel central, and above the nose leg when retracting it rearwards. The leg will have a 'skin/door' attached to it to close the wheel bay. There will be no suspension as such, just a floating hub wheel and balloon tyre, I hope.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The BD-5 uses a simple spring loaded ball detente to hold the castoring nose gear in the forward position during retraction.