Easy-to-build steerable nosewheel?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Hi Hughie, like your simple design. Much easier than the one I came up with. FWIW, I'm working on a slightly larger version of Hughie's Sgian Dobh. Please don't get side tracked on this thread. Here's a video of my in operation, as interpreted by a fellow who sorted the SketchyPhysics for me. He mis-understood the reason for the grass patch which was supposed to go down, thus unlocking the over-center lock-

http://sketchucation.com/click.php?url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2C9goxbNk

My method of strength testing, load it with a couple hundred kilos and drop it from 3 feet. Not actually modelled but leg will be spring steel core wrapped in f/glass.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Oops, it seems we have two nosegear threads... I meant to post this here:

Speaking of nosegear designs and shimmy, why not build a trailing link nosegear suspension with two smaller struts (left and right) configured to provide suspension and shimmy damping at the same time?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
bmcj, not sure if you're referring to my design or making a general statement. FWIW, in my case, weight is the enemy so dampened s/steel, plus low pressure tyre would be lighter than twin struts and dampers. Make sense?
That makes sense, and my suggestion was a general statement, not directed at your concepts.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
If by scooter you mean motor scooter (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) I suspect that it will be far too heavy for an aviation application. The integrated suspension and front brake might be interesting for rough field work, though.

henryk

If by scooter you mean motor scooter (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) I suspect that it will be far too heavy for an aviation application. The integrated suspension and front brake might be interesting for rough field work, though.
-my solution=self made steel fork with pressured air "spring" +oil dampfer=3.2 kg

002.jpg 581.jpg 576.jpg

spduffee

Hey Matthew,

I just saw this on a website that features an HM 420- build. I had never heard of this Flea before, all metal cage, low to the ground (wheelchair accessible). Anyway, this particular build has a nice nosegear, I think.

Crosswinds

hm420_3.jpg

spduffee

Very welcome. I may have to look into this closer. I went flying around the Olympic Mtns today in a club's C150. Even with full cabin heat it was cold at 6500', less than 20deg outside temp.. Maybe I am a enclosed cabin kinda guy, afterall...:cry: Plus I did my first spot of welding today, ever. With that behind me I really feel I am now able to start welding a fuselage.:ban:

FritzW

Log Member
...they say "by the time you finishing tacking a fuselage together, you'll have the skill to finish weld it";)

Hugh Lorimer

Mock up in wood of easily made castoring retracting nose wheel made from 1" sq steel tube with locking knee (inc.coil spring biased to aid over centre locking). Bushed main leg for free castoring steering head ( vertical pivot)

Hughie

Attachments