EAA Web Site

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by jedi, Dec 11, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 11, 2018 #1

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Apparently the EAA has rolled out a new version of their web site. The header photo on the opening page and many lower level pages is a Cessna 152. It looks like they gave up on the discussion boards. All sales pitch and AirVenture promotion.

Am I missing some secret link to home built and experimental stuff or is it really all antiques, warbirds and young eagles by design?

2. Dec 11, 2018 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Look at the menu bar along the top. They have a lot of drop downs that get you to the interesting stuff

3. Dec 11, 2018 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Yes, there is a nice old straight-tail 150 on the home page banner. Since they stopped making straight tails in 1966, that plane is at least 52 years old, which some would say counts as a collectors item, and does put it in the 1955-1970 "Contemporary" category for vintage aircraft.

http://eaaforums.org/

I see four buttons at the top and the rest drop-down menus, one of which is specifically "Aircraft Buildling," which is listed again under "Aviation Interests."

EAA | AirVenture | Museum | Shop

Membership | Pilots | Learn to Fly | Chapters | Aircraft Building | Youth | Aviation Interests | Events & Experiences | News & Publications | Support EAA​

I am the first to ding EAA over being too focused on sponsors, lobbying, Airventure, and all the rest, and not enough on homebuilt aircraft, but I don't really see any problems here.

4. Dec 11, 2018 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Apparently, you missed the memo: EAA now stands for “Everyone’s Airplane Association”. They got out of the E-AB business way back under Tom P.

BJC

pictsidhe, rv6ejguy, Topaz and 2 others like this.
  5. Dec 11, 2018 #5

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Became Everyone's Airplane Association long before Tom P.
    Paul was annoyed that commercial companies didn't attend his early fly-ins and he sought to include them.
    Homebuilts only was just early years, Paul brought in Antiques, Vintage, Warbirds, Aerobatics, Ultralights, Seaplanes before Tom.
    Paul wanted growth to have a bigger voice.
    He would say " who should we leave out".

I don't approve, but that's what Paul did.

6. Dec 11, 2018 #6

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

In case you miss the memo it says it in the introductory statement "All are welcome at everyone’s aviation association."

jedi likes this.
  7. Dec 11, 2018 #7

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I can still get to the discussion board through the back door http://eaaforums.org but I'm sure they don't want people to know about that. I suspect they want the discussion board to dwindle to they will have reason to shut it down.

8. Dec 11, 2018 #8

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Wow, and I thought I was the cynical one about EAA. You can still get to the forums from the site under "News & Publications," though I agree that it should be more prominent.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publications

9. Dec 11, 2018 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

Started being an EAA member in 1974. Did you ever have a printer that was made to do everything but wasn't much good as any of them. That what happen to the EAA when they went trying to be an organization for everyone.

rv6ejguy and BJC like this.
  10. Dec 11, 2018 #10

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

That this site is not searchable leads me to conclude management thinks home-building is more trouble than it is worth.

11. Dec 11, 2018 #11

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Click the menu button at the top left. It is three horizontal lines. It is not innate for those of us born before Al Gore invented the Internet, but it's amazing to watch my friend's 3-year old kid who seemingly knew what that symbol meant from birth.

image.jpg

bmcj likes this.
  12. Dec 11, 2018 #12

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Thanks for all your comments. Appropriate. Found the links. Now just need some good action!

13. Dec 11, 2018 #13

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

No menu button on my screen. (iPad) No X or anything. Just EAA home button.

edit, I found the menu hidden behind the EAA header bar. I can drag it down but can't click anything.
    Looks like EAA has some tweaking to do.

14. Dec 11, 2018 #14

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Hopefully someone has let them know about the functionality issues over on their own forum. I'm not a member, otherwise I'd do it myself.

15. Dec 11, 2018 #15

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

What's this "EAA" thing you keep talking about? ...oh yeah, it's the guys I have to pay $40 a year to so I can be a member of my local chapter <roll eyes> :gig:

16. Dec 11, 2018 #16

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I just donate my local dues, and am not a member of the national, or the local. My issue is liability ....yes I know EAA has insurance but I do not trust insurance companies. I do not do the Young Eagles this way, which as far as I am concerned is a huge liability issue.

17. Dec 12, 2018 #17

TFF

TFF

TFF

I skip the local. I buy in for general aviation lobbying and camping at Oshkosh.

bmcj and BBerson like this.
  18. Dec 12, 2018 #18

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Myself as well, I like aviation and EAA is a big advocate of aviation. I enjoy writing that small check.

19. Dec 13, 2018 #19

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

This may get me boiled in oil, but I agree 1000% that it should become Everyone's Aviation Association. So long as it does not put homebuilding at any lower level of importance/prominence than any other part of aviation within the EAA umbrella.

Despite any and all of the organizational problems that EAA has gone through, despite Paul's autocracy and Tom's hyper-commercialization, EAA is by far the most effective and strongly pro-aviation force and voice that small private GA like us has. AOPA works for the Jim Backus and Mac McClellan end of aviation, but that has now become a far cry from most of us.

If EAA grows in scope to include everyone and everything, and in the process they can now advocate for three million aviation-related voters and taxpayers instead of one million, we all win. We all benefit greatly from collective bargaining, political lobbying, large-group saber-rattling, etc. Just like the Teamsters Union has made life a lot better for all the truck drivers in the country (despite the highly imperfect nature of a union and all of the problems various unions have).

I have personally seen the negative effect that happens when a good size aviation advocacy organization shrinks in scope, rests on its laurels, and does not move forward. I was a card-carrying member of the SSA, Soaring Society of America, during the last of its golden days (1981-1989). They had many many opportunities to become bigger and more powerful, to join with EAA and expand their power base, join with EAA and grow the number of glider pilots, raise awareness, etc. Most of the advancements in drag reduction, advanced aerodynamics, and low-speed flight improvements came out of soaring.... from the Rutan Voyager to Lancairs going fast at Reno to the viability of electric flight. SSA could have "taken credit" for much of this, and made themselves a center for excellence. Soaring and gliding has always represented the lowest cost of flight training, and SSA could have positioned itself as the best solution for basic flight training. They did none of that, and the sport of soaring has become smaller and largely irrelevant in the US aviation scene.

So based on the slow death of soaring in America, I sure as hell don't want to see personal-level powered flying go down that path. I strongly believe EAA needs to go in the opposite direction. Bigger, stronger, more public awareness, more members, more services, more programs, more government involvement.

20. Dec 13, 2018 #20

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

So why doesn't EAA offer a Homebuilt magazine? The only choice is the "spirit of aviation everything" GA magazine or the Vintage or Aerobatics or Warbirds or whatever else, but no Homebuilding magazine.