Don't Do Anything Dumb

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Climbing towers...at altitude at 0 airspeed. Not a natural thing. Climbed quite a few towers, always with a harness. Even a harness can hurt you. Slip and fall the 10' the tether will allow you to fall, and WHACK! up against a steel frame. Breaks ribs and arms. At the least, the bruising is impressive and once got my father a visit from the local sheriff on suspicion of Child Abuse. When he showed, I was on top of the tower setting an antenna array. Officer asked if I had fall protection, to which my father replied, "Heck yes, and it better be attached to that expensive antenna!" Ah, the love of a father. His typical comment was "I bought you into this world, and I can take you out!" To which I would reply, "yea, but then you'd have to wait 15 more years to finish this project." (Yes I am a smart a$$).

Derswede
I grew up with my grandfather (1876-1959) from 6 years old to 15 years old , on the farm. If you got hurt he would say " if blood not squirting and no bones sticking out of skin, you will be OK, Get back to work ".
He was born the day General Custer was killed and had 2 uncles that fought against General Custer.

Daleandee

"if blood not squirting and no bones sticking out of skin, you will be OK, Get back to work "
LOL ... that's what my wife says to the grand kids! Or as the coach would say, "walk it off!"

Dale
N319WF

TFF

Someone posted on the biplane forum pictures of his just finished Skybolt. The owner/ builder had decided to not keep his plane but pushed through to finish it. Moved from the area where it is hangared; not same state. I’m Not sure if he is a pilot. He contracted someone to fly off the 40 hours. On the first flight, today, the pilot on takeoff lost his headset, open cockpit. He chased the headset which means he let go of the controls. From fifteen feet it dove into the ground, pancaking the gear and folding the prop. Pilot ok, plane a project. It was probably one of the best built ones in recent times.

SVSUSteve

My ex wife favorite saying was " it's a long way from the heart....."
I used to teach EMS providers and other medical providers that the general rule in trauma and critical care was “Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, the chest goes up and down. Any variation on one or more of these is a bad thing.”

Daleandee

You can't make this stuff up ...

Watch the video to get the whole story - it's amazing!

Dale
N319WF

N804RV

HBA Supporter

Daleandee

I didn't think anyone there (other than me) stopped smoking dope long enough to get their CFI.
I actually sent this to a fellow that was teaching himself to fly. He has flown a few times without a ticket (he does have a student permit) and after replacing/repairing the gear a few times he was feeling pretty confident until he went up into some wind that scared the life out of him. Now he's gotten a bit of respect for the airplane and says he's wanting to learn to fly and take lessons. He is a hard headed & brazen kinda big mouthed fella. After reading the add I thought the two of them might hit it off pretty good. :D

Dale
N319WF

Daleandee

Many of you have no doubt seen this. If you haven't please enjoy this latest installment of "Don't Do Anything Dumb" ...

Dale

thump

This may have been posted in another thread a few years back, but it’s worth remembering.

Bill Welter

It's amazing what people with a lot of confidence do - pretty easy to make mistakes on the ground and get away with it. But up in the air, its a whole different story. "It'll probably be OK" is not good enough when you're messing with gravity....

Daleandee

"So in a 20º bank the wing should have folded ... and it did."

Very sad to hear and even worse is that he notes, "of his previously built aircraft a couple had been sold and they had been involved in accidents as well."

If you are buying someone else's build please know what you are looking at. If you don't know then take someone with you that does know what they are looking at and, yes, pay them for their expertise!

Dale

pictsidhe

"So in a 20º bank the wing should have folded ... and it did."

Very sad to hear and even worse is that he notes, "of his previously built aircraft a couple had been sold and they had been involved in accidents as well."

If you are buying someone else's build please know what you are looking at. If you don't know then take someone with you that does know what they are looking at and, yes, pay them for their expertise!

Dale
We get plenty of such builders visiting here. Many of us try to persuade them to have some proper structural analysis done. Despite that, a sizeable proportion still think that their TLAR design method is fine.

dog

We get plenty of such builders visiting here. Many of us try to persuade them to have some proper structural analysis done. Despite that, a sizeable proportion still think that their TLAR design method is fine.

Design,in quotes,is seperate from structural analisis,which is still ocasionaly done in the ancient
fashion.The EAA membership that grants a solid works licence is a cheat, and a mighty fine one.
Think I am going to get that and find someone to help with the screen work.
Put into perspective, the full cost version is still a masive time saver compared to building scrap.
I speak from experience,with the scrap that is.
Built a LOT of scrap,and some good stuff.
Some of the good stuff was made from scrap,and sometimes the good stuff goes in the dumpster just to have it gone,painfull seeing that shiny glint coming from the scrap pile.
And its shocking what they will give you for a couple feed bags of copper.Pays to clean up and go to town.
Personaly I am lucky enough to have done aprenticeships with true masters in some of the most ancient of trades.A lot of that some call "as built" or designed as you build it,
no time for anything else.
Now if a computer can give me a cut list and good indication its not too heavy(expensive)/light gona break(even more expensive)....pretty pictures for on the interweb......gota have it.