Don't Do Anything Dumb

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by Daleandee, Sep 4, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 4, 2019 #1

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I've had my share of lapses in judgement. Yes, I've made mistakes, a few stupid decisions, & some not very wise choices. Many times I have learned from the errors of others (you should, cause you won't live long enough to make them all yourself).

Then there are times that I can't help but wonder what people are thinking when they do certain things:

Lotta things wrong here.

Dale
    N319WF

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Charles_says and bmcj like this.
  2. Sep 5, 2019 #2

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I know where this happened, the pilot was trying to impress his girlfriend with a plane ride, he could look bad by asking for a power cart

3. Sep 5, 2019 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'd write a book called "Clangers I have dropped", but my brain has a way of forgetting the best ones.

4. Sep 5, 2019 #4

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

A friend hand propped his Luscombe, no chocks, the P lead was loose on the master switch, fired up and took off by itself. Bounced over a Navion and a Debonaire, crossed the perimeter fence clearing it by a few inches, and went into a field across a major road. The owner walked into a nearby hanger and called my dad, and asked, "Dick, do you want a free airplane?"
    Derswede

SVSUSteve likes this.
  5. Sep 5, 2019 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

Several years ago my 82 year old neighbor was hand propping a Luscombe in the winter. Flooded it and didn't have it tied down or even chocked. 6 owners ( My 16 year old grandson was one) and pulled the throttle to WOT and forgot to turn the mag switch off. Engine started and went to WOT and he jumped out of the way but grabbed the wing strut as it went by, and tried to get to the door. His coat got caught on the step as he fell and the airplane was going in tight WOT circles dragging him. Dallas and I heard the engine and run out to look, it was dragging something but couldn't tell what. We ran down the runway and saw that it was dragging him and it had drug his pants and shorts down to his shoes. He managed to get his coat loose from the step and dropped to the ground, started to stand up and pull his shorts and pants up, the airplane circled and came up from behind him, we hollowed out to warn him, he dived to the side and the prop missed him. The airplane kept a tight circle and circled across the runway to the hangers and the stab hit the rear of Dallas's car that sheared all the rivets in the tail cone in front of the stab and was dragging the tail by the control cables and also at the same time the wing hit a hanger post, turned the airplane inside the hanger, did a 180 deg turn inside the hanger and hit the other wing on the same post coming out of the hanger and hung up with the engine still at WOT. Dallas and I had just removed his C-172 out of the same hanger about 15 minutes earlier and taxied it up to my place to check the brake fluid. The old man was a IA and an expert in sheet aluminum and rebuilt it like new after finding a good set of wings.
    Hope to never see that again.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Sep 5, 2019 #6

10kd

10kd

10kd

What to say about that......

7. Sep 5, 2019 #7

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Right?

8. Sep 5, 2019 #8

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Where was Benny Hill?

Derswede likes this.
  9. Sep 5, 2019 #9

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

In the 2 years I've been regularly hand-propping, I've wondered just why the heck anyone would prop an airplane (or even start it any other way) with the throttle set above the 1/4" or so minimum necessary for starting. Never even thought this might be one cause. Clearing a flooded engine definitely needs one to follow the checklist with no distractions.

Thanks for sharing this!

BoKu likes this.
  10. Sep 5, 2019 #10

BJC

BJC

BJC

It’s common to prop flooded engines with WOT, but only with a qualified pilot in the cockpit.

It’s common to pull the prop through on a flooded engine with WOT, but only with the airplane firmly tied down, the mags confirmed “off” and the mixture at full lean.

It’s smart always to treat the propeller as if the mags are “on” and there is a charge in the engine ready to fire.

BJC

Pops, rv6ejguy, BoKu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sep 5, 2019 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

As I watched this video, I kept screaming “Deploy the BRS!!!” ;)

Who knows, maybe that would get a more favorable insurance settlement.

Mcmark and BoKu like this.
  12. Sep 5, 2019 #12

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

That looks like enough damage that they might write the airplane off. Composites can be notoriously fussy to repair. A propstrike teardown will likely be added to this, too. The prop damage appears to be on only one blade, meaning that the stop was sudden indeed.

Nobody should be trying hand-propping without some training from an experienced hand-propper. It's just so awesomely dangerous for those uninitiated folks. And 300 HP makes it really sketchy.

rv6ejguy, Mcmark and BoKu like this.
  13. Sep 5, 2019 #13

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Paul Gaines will probably either fix it or use it for parts to fix other Cirri. If he hasn't already.

14. Sep 5, 2019 #14

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think the title of this thread should be "Don't do everything dumb".

rv6ejguy, BoKu and bmcj like this.
  15. Sep 5, 2019 #15

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

We used to do "hot-starts" in the T-34B, with the IO-470, with throttle fire-walled and the mixture at idle-cutoff. It seemed like it took 3 hands to get the mixture up and the throttle back when the engine caught. That's about the only time I've ever intentionally started an aircraft up with WOT.

bmcj and Mcmark like this.
  16. Sep 6, 2019 #16

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

ROTFL ... I guess you are correct in this particular instance. I used that quote as when I was learning to fly my instructor had that written near the panel on his training airplane. I often wanted to ask him what he meant by that but then I thought that would be "doing something dumb" as it was clear what he meant.

I didn't know the story when I seen the video but if he was trying to make an impression on a young lady ... I'm certain he accomplished that task. Yet I'm certain it wasn't the impression he wanted to make. That was indeed a very costly lack of judgment.

17. Sep 6, 2019 #17

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have started a Lyc-320 when it was very,very cold. Have someone in the cockpit with the fuel OFF and throttle at WOT. Stand beside the cowl, with one arm stretched forward, take a small propane bottle with the valve opened all the way in front of the airfilter, and have the helper crank the engine with mag hot. It will start on the propane and run about 1200 rpm. Continue as long as you can stand the prop blast warning up the engine. When you can't stand the cold blast any longer, Have your helper pull the throttle back to about 1/2" open and at the same time, turn the fuel valve on and remove the propane at the same time. It will keep on running. Now while the engine is warming up, you need to warm up very badly. Almost forgot, ----- Hope you put the oil that you warmed up back in the engine before trying to start. :)

18. Sep 6, 2019 #18

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I'm glad that I am not the only one who thought of Benny Hill show music playing while this was going on.

N804RV likes this.
  19. Sep 6, 2019 #19

Pops

Pops

Pops

No humor in Benny Hill. Now Red Shelton, Tim Conway, Lucille Ball, etc, now that is humor.

bmcj likes this.
  20. Sep 6, 2019 #20

narfi

narfi

narfi

I missed it when I watched it, but my buddy saw the girl bailing out once it was moving.
    So there was a human inside available to run the controls and brakes.........?