Quantcast

Don't Do Anything Dumb

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

Still a good idea to do some of the calculations the old way, if only to see if the results from CAD are plausible.
I was involved in the development of a telecom device that needed a lit of cooling air. One wrong assumption in the CFD analysis made it optimistic by a factor of 3. If someone had actually looked at it without using CFD as a crutch, they would have seen what was wrong right away. There was no plenum between the fans and the air filter!

Daleandee

Only serious injuries were to pride & bank account ...

Hate to see such a thing happen to a fine flying machine!

Daleandee

Watched this a few years ago and revisited it again today and I think it belongs in the "Don't Do anything Dumb" thread. Lots of things done wrong but he did get out and walk away so - "any landing that you can walk away from!"

You can skip the first 10 minutes of the video.

Daleandee

Those rows are propped up with wooden stakes and hog-wire. No bueno!
A few things that I caught after looking over the video in some detail. At one point the ASI shows he flying at 85 mph indicated. I had a CH2CWS and they will fly that fast but it takes RPM and power to do that plus it burns a lot of fuel. But looking at a still shot from the video it appears there is still fuel in the tank. Note also (and he admits it in his comments) that he is 500' (he admits to being at 400' at one point) flying over that congested area. Scouting out a landing spot all times is also a great idea. Altitude is your friend.

More troubling was when he says this was his first flight after purchase, and that it is a 90 mile cross country flight. Says he was scared in the airplane. Notice it is a two place aircraft meaning it's not an ultralight and it has no visible N-number to be seen anywhere.

I think that at that altitude he had better options to land but it's hard to argue with the fact that with all that was happening he got it down with out injury to himself or anyone on the ground and only did minimal damage to the airplane. I guess I'm trying to say that he didn't do everything wrong ... just most of it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I grew up on a farm until I was 15 years old and we had hogs and never heard of hog- wire. What is hog -wire?

N804RV

I grew up on a farm until I was 15 years old and we had hogs and never heard of hog- wire. What is hog -wire?
Well, on the farm I spent part of my youth on, "hog wire" is what we used for repairing wire fences and many other tasks. A little heavier than bailing wire, and a little easier on your hands. Now, it looks like what the internet calls hog wire is something else.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, on the farm I spent part of my youth on, "hog wire" is what we used for repairing wire fences and many other tasks. A little heavier than bailing wire, and a little easier on your hands. Now, it looks like what the internet calls hog wire is something else.
OK , I understand now. Thanks. I always hated building bobwire fences. I used to pray for rain so we would get a break from some of the work. Grandfather just said, " put out rain coats on, we're building fence today". I would rather put up hay.

Last edited:

cblink.007

I've had my share of lapses in judgement. Yes, I've made mistakes, a few stupid decisions, & some not very wise choices. Many times I have learned from the errors of others (you should, cause you won't live long enough to make them all yourself).

Then there are times that I can't help but wonder what people are thinking when they do certain things:

Lotta things wrong here.

Dale
N319WF
How was it said during my 20 year career in the military? Oh yeah, that's right...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What was this guy thinking???

Bille Floyd

I only fly gliders , (hang , and sailplanes) so i have no first hand
knowledge ; but don't power planes have fuel gauges ? if so, then:
why don't trained pilots , look at them ?

Bille

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Aircraft fuel gauges just have to read empty with the tanks are empty. Never trust a fuel gauge. I do trust my calibrated dip-stick.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I only fly gliders , (hang , and sailplanes)...
Every pilot flies gliders. It's just that some of them have the towplane bolted to the nose instead of on the end of a 200' rope. ;)

The ones with the towplane bolted to the nose tend to be really rotten gliders, and for some really strange reason that doesn't prompt some people to pay extra-special attention to the care-and-feeding of the towplane.

TFF

People who run out of gas know they are doing it. They are doing it on purpose in that they are taking a chance they will be down before before the last drop. Trying to eek out the last mile. Trying not to make the last fuel stop and save thirty minutes. Some do get caught in a headwind they did not calculate, very few miss the gauge. It’s a numbers game if you want to pocket all the winnings, at some point you will walk away with nothing. There is legal minimums; smart people pocket more.

Mad MAC

The really answer is because its always been that way, we have normalised what is otherwise unacceptable system design (if it was acceptible we wouldn't keep running out of fuel). Somewhere there is a report high lighting the fact that the biggest safety improve with EFIS is the more acurate fuel gauging they tend to be fitted with.