• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cutting Aluminum with a jig saw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anymouse

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW A
I'm at a quandary here. I work outside of the US and have quite a bit of free time on my hands when I'm not actually flying around trying to save the world. Last year, while I was in Afghanistan, I completed all of the aft ribs for my U-2 project. All tools and materials were sent, both directions via FPO mail. No problems except for packaging.

I've been transferred from Afghanistan and am now working in Africa. The FPO address is not an option now. However, I can bring hand tools, some smaller powered tools and raw materials in my checked bags so that I can continue to build parts. Which brings me to my problem.

I'm guessing that the best way to cut up my aluminum parts is with a band saw, but I haven't been able to find one that's small enough and light enough to bring over. Can't find one here either. I even tried to find a shop that might let me use one. No joy.

All that being said, what do the experts on this board think about using a jig saw to cut these aluminum parts and then sanding the edges smooth? I'm guessing that I'll need to cut it with some wood attached to keep it from bending. Plenty of scrap wood to be had.

The size of the aluminum ranges from .040 to .125.

Thanks for any help!

Back