Quantcast

Could I do this aviation job?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Please for the love of all things aviation holy, do yourself a favor and better educate yourself! Instead of googling this S&@t maybe go talk to some of us A&P's (in my case AME, Canadian equivalent), grease monkey? Do you even know what it takes to maintain todays fleet of aircraft? I have more training on one airframe then the flight crew that flies it! Specific Airframe training, engine training, avionics training, advanced troubleshooting training. I'm very happy with my work, have an employer that thinks we are on par with the flight crew. Get constant feedback from employer when/if we go above and beyond. I'm definitely NOT living out of my car, and have no need to attend school in the off time (however I would love to take a welding class, I need to look into that).

I'm trying to be polite, but your arrogance regarding aviation employment seems to be based on your laziness to get off your butt and put in the effort required to work in almost any field of employment....
Unfortunately,even though you hit the nail on the head.....it all fell on deaf ears.

Kevin

Last edited:

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
I kept a record of all the names and addresses of everybody who has ever sent me anything "aviation related". I can in fact rattle off every address and every item. I at least sent everyone who ever sent me anything a token gift of thanks because I'm not a one way street. I didn't have much money at the time back then but I always made sure to reciprocate with at least a gift of thanks.

I have Don January down for "variometer", which was the circa 1980's wrist strap variometer I posted pictures of here and elsewhere. I also recall included in the box was some plastic bags of loose AN bolts and nuts and rivets and so on in the package, I assume that is what is mentioned as "Kawasaki parts". It may be possible he sent more later, but that is all I have recorded. At any rate, thanks again Don January.

I also have down that I ordered and mailed him a Casio watch as thanks.

In fact, every address on my list I have written beside it "watch sent" or "flag sent" as thank you gifts.

HERE'S THE ALL INCLUSIVE LIST OF EVERYTHING AVIATION RELATED EVER GIVEN TO ME (minus contact info and dates)

on HBA but left - Prefers to be anonymous (building German glider) and ask I send nothing in return - $10 paypal 2016
not on HBA - Dave Edwards - sent me Affordaplane plans (he designed them) - watch sent -1/4/2017
not on HBA - Brad Arnold - Spitfire Rudder Pedals, 60lbs of aviation magazines - watch sent -1/4/2017
not on HBA - Robert Wiebe - Banty Plans, Burger King gift card for Xmas - flag sent
on HBA - Don January - variometer, bolts and rivets - watch sent
not on HBA - Regina Parkinson - free boat and boat trailer on Craigslist - Rack of Spices & Garden Food given
not sure HBA? - Michael O'brien - USB harddrive loaded with Aviation Files - Watch sent
not on HBA - Luke McAfee - 460 motor mount, Chotia exhaust pipe, seat, gas tank, gauges, seat belt, Victoria trophy - watch sent
not on HBA - Mac Hodges - VJ-24w plans on CD, Lowrance Airmap 2000, Garmin GPS - flag sent; still in transit due to China delay
not on HBA - David Gates - Poorboy Ultralight - AMD X2 processors and RAM sent, watch sent; flag sent, still in transit due to China delay
not on HBA - Greg Dahl - quadcopters, paypal money - flag sent and received

Some of those not on HBA may have an account on HBA just because I told them of this place and talked it up and they signed up to check it out, but none of them have become active participants (and I would know), and most told me they weren't really into the forums because they didn't like the hostility of forums and the forums were a waste of time. At any rate, all of them I communicate with me via email and not here.

Take a good hard look at the list. The huge bulk of the people that have given me aviation related things ARE NOT ON HBA, and actually are the kind of the social outcasts and mavericks shunned or belittled by you guys, that I befriended via email. I actually didn't ask any of them for anything at all, with the exception of Mac Hodges, who I asked for the VJ-24w plans as he was the only one in the world I knew that had them (and I offered to send him money for the shipping/DVD etc which he declined). Most of these are just super generous people, for example Mac has offered to take me flying in his Kitfox many times to get some stick time. Most of these people I made friends and are my friends, and I stay in daily contact with them to this day and have reciprocated in spades with plenty of interesting aviation links as I find them and they shoot me links back. More eyeballs on the net kind of thing.

What I think is going on here is you guys just have some bizarre perception of millenials, still live in the 1970's or something, and project your hatred upon younger people as you have stereotyped them as lazy and self-entitled. There are a few people here, and I can name them by name, that actively and agressively promote this stereotype in the forum. Maybe your own kids are lazy, and if that's the case, that's your fault, don't project that on me or anyone else. You take my bitching as asking for a handout, when what I am doing is pointing out a lot of the things wrong in aviation or in things that might affect aviation. A lot of you live with your head in the sand. (substitute "in the sand" for some other colorful place if you like).

I learned *real fast* not to ask for anything here... real fast.

Sadly, I learned later, to stop sharing my progress, after having my aviation build threads shut down (who the hell shuts down someone's build thread!), or being made fun of or ripped on for my good fortune of bringing home a free airplane, and getting a parachute/BRS to boot with it. I'm not going to quote them directly, but they were of the ilk of "what the hell does building a trailer have to do with airplanes", "oh aren't you miss queen for having a !@#$ parachute", "don't feed the troll" when I ask aviation questions, i.e, "Could I get this job" or "Can you use your car keys to tell which way is down if I flew into a cloud". If I point out problems in aviation, it gets hammered on as "sensational stuff or stuff we don't like to talk about".... i.e., Crashes in the News.

You would think of all places that would be happy someone came into a parachute, or a propellor, or an airplane, it would be this place. Nope, not the case, just more justification to you that millenials are entitled people asking for handouts and getting stuff for free. If I was asking for a handout at anytime, its because I *really* needed it at the time to get boot-started.

~

At any rate, thanks again Don January, the Variometer was neat and interesting at the time. And if for whatever reason anybody didn't get a watch or flag because it was lost in the mail, let me know, and I'll fire out another.

And to update you on my flying status, no, I am not flying yet. As soon as I finished cleaning up the shop and building my trailer over the winter, and the Poorboy got brought home, I went right at the next urgent problem, and went to work at a job my friend got me, I worked a year, paid off $8000 in credit card debt, $2000 of that was her debt I loaned her she couldn't paid back.

For the record I had had used my credit cards to live for 15 years on... that comes out to be... $400/year? - could you live off $400 a year and FS, I doubt it). No wild spedning, no restaurant food, nothing. Gasoline and electricity and food stamps. And still in there I managed to buy a few watches and flags as thanks, or offer to pay for shipping on anything anyone sent me if I could at the time.

narfi

Log Member
Getting out of consumer debt accrued starting out in life is one of the hardest things I ever did, congratulations on that accomplishment, I have found it is easy to fall back into, esp. with the current situation in the world today. With a steady income I have found my lifestyle always creeping up and my spending habits falling into old ways. Stay faithful with your goals and you will have a better life for it.

don january

Log Member
CG its good to see that one Member (myself) took the effort to get a plane off the ground with material items needed. But much more satisfying to see members give priceless advice to you without even getting any thing. (which by the way the watch never worked "bummer") for the sake of the VJ -24W I was very happy to help. Sorry to see you got so bu!! hurt over your own thread. 🤓

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Probably not directly germane to this thread, but I was recently thinking that the phrase "make something of myself" isn't something I hear much anymore. Instead, I more often hear about someone wanting "to find myself."

"Make something of myself" obviously alludes to an active process, with images of deliberately building a better version of one's existing self. Yes, improvement in "material" prosperity, but accompanied by other changes to improve in other ways--grit, wisdom, character, generosity, etc.

"Finding myself" sounds like the speaker intends to stumble upon a whole new existing person, ready-made and available without any requirement to build or improve anything.

Anyway, just some thoughts on phrases we use.

robertl

I went to a "counselor" years ago because I was "depressed" I guess. She said, do you have any hobbies, to which I answered, yes, flying, skydiving and scuba diving, I just can't afford to do them anymore. She asked which one I liked best and I said flying and she asked if I had a dime, I said yes and gave it to her. She rapped it in a piece of paper and wrote, airplane on it. About 15 years later, I had an airplane, an ultralight that I bought with a friend. He crashed it several years later, no injuries but the plane was destroyed. Another 15 years later and I had another ultralight, also with a partner but after about 10 years we sold it so he could continue with his CFI rating. I lost the plane but I gained an instructor that is there anytime I want him and he doesn't charge me anything. Bottom line, moral to all this, keep at it, follow your dreams and desires and one day, it will all be worth it. Don't listen to the naysayers.

Reactions: BJC

D Hillberg

Please for the love of all things aviation holy, do yourself a favor and better educate yourself! Instead of googling this S&@t maybe go talk to some of us A&P's (in my case AME, Canadian equivalent), grease monkey? Do you even know what it takes to maintain todays fleet of aircraft? I have more training on one airframe then the flight crew that flies it! Specific Airframe training, engine training, avionics training, advanced troubleshooting training. I'm very happy with my work, have an employer that thinks we are on par with the flight crew. Get constant feedback from employer when/if we go above and beyond. I'm definitely NOT living out of my car, and have no need to attend school in the off time (however I would love to take a welding class, I need to look into that).

I'm trying to be polite, but your arrogance regarding aviation employment seems to be based on your laziness to get off your butt and put in the effort required to work in almost any field of employment....
And Disney & Six Flags pays them top dollar for their skills..... LAPD loses their guys to the garbage truck dept.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I kept a record of all the names and addresses of everybody who has ever sent me anything "aviation related". I can in fact rattle off every address and every item. I at least sent everyone who ever sent me anything a token gift of thanks because I'm not a one way street. I didn't have much money at the time back then but I always made sure to reciprocate with at least a gift of thanks.
Many HBA posters have given you something much more valuable than airplane parts. They have taken the time to offer advice on life, based on what they learned that contributed to their personal successes. What you do, if anything, with it is entirely up to you.

BJC

Aerowerx

Is it just me, or does anyone else think CG is reinforcing the stereotype of millennials, which she thinks is unfair?

(and just to set the record straight...I myself do not believe in stereotyping anyone. You can find all kinds of people in any age group. But the millennial stereotype had to have started somehow.)

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm not meaning to be directly abrasive about the situation but it will probably come off that way because I tend to call it like I see it.
I'm not bashing the OP but merely pointing out the facts of her demeanor & actions.

There's 3 scenarios that I see possible for anything pertaining to CG....

1. CG is pretty much a Troll and loves to stir the pot when she is bored.
I've known many people that have that tendency and I avoid them like the plague because they are nothing more than a cancer to anyone they associate with.

2. CG has some personal/physical/mental issues which may or may not involve medication.
Has anyone else ever noticed that she has the tendency to go off on extremely wild and long tangents about conspiracy theories,The Man holder her down,the world is against her personally...etc. ?
Ramblings of that nature don't tend to come from a rational person.
She also states a goal that she would like to acheive but then finds every reason to not persue it and work on something else,while complaining the entire time.....think "SQUIRREL".

3. She's a typical Millennial.....yes,I just stereotyped..sorry for that.
She thinks everything should be given to her without having to work and pay dues for it.
Constantly complains about having to work a horrendous 30-40 hour work week and it's not fair and a great tragedy.
That's just pure laziness in my opinion....that work week would be a vacation to many of us on the forum.
She has been given materials,advice,has been offered physical help with the project and has even been offered free admission and lodging to the BIG SHOW.......but there is always a reason why it can never be.

As I said.....I'm not posting to bash the OP,I have merely stated facts.
If I typed a fact that is inaccurate please point it out and I will offer an IMMEDIATE retraction with a sincere apology.

The best thing to squash the whole situation is to quit typing any reply to her posts.
She will probably get tired after a while and move on somewhere else when she can't get fuel for her fire.

With that being said..........

Kevin

Last edited:

Gary Hogue

I'm not meaning to be directly abrasive about the situation but it will probably come off that way because I tend to call it like I see it.
I'm not bashing the OP but merely pointing out the facts of her demeanor & actions.

There's 3 scenarios that I see possible for anything pertaining to CG....

1. CG is pretty much a Troll and loves to stir the pot when she is bored.
I've known many people that have that tendency and I avoid them like the plague because they are nothing more than a cancer to anyone they associate with.

2. CG has some personal/physical/mental issues which may or may not involve medication.
Has anyone else ever noticed that she has the tendency to go off on extremely wild and long tangents about conspiracy theories,The Man holder her down,the world is against her personally...etc. ?
Ramblings of that nature don't tend to come from a rational person.
She also states a goal that she would like to acheive but then finds every reason to not persue it and work on something else,while complaining the entire time.....think "SQUIRREL".

3. She's a typical Millennial.....yes,I just stereotyped..sorry for that.
She thinks everything should be given to her without having to work and pay dues for it.
Constantly complains about having to work a horrendous 30-40 hour work week and it's not fair and a great tragedy.
That's just pure laziness in my opinion....that work week would be a vacation to many of us on the forum.
She has been given materials,advice,has been offered physical help with the project and has even been offered free admission and lodging to the BIG SHOW.......but there is always a reason why it can never be.

As I said.....I'm not posting to bash the OP,I have merely stated facts.
If I typed a fact that is inaccurate please point it out and I will offer an IMMEDIATE retraction with a sincere apology.

The best thing to squash the whole situation is to quit typing any reply to her posts.
She will probably get tired after a while and move on somewhere else when she can't get fuel for her fire.

With that being said..........

Kevin
Pretty sure CGirl is not a millennial - try Gen Z. That may explain a lot and earn more slack than is currently being cut.

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
No, I didn't apply for it, because (a) the pay turned out to be a typo, and (b) having grown up and being a native of the South (US), I am highly averse to the cold. I know this for sure, I've spent time in Oregon and Minnesota. My thoughts were "Why the !@#$%^ would anybody live up here in this god forsaken land". So yeah, Artic circle... no.

After I finished my plane trailer and picked up the Poorgirl last year, my friend got me a job starting the very next week without an interview, and I worked all the way until we were laid off from the pandemic. Paid off the $8000 in credit card debt I had accumulated from living as frugally as humanly possible off no social support system for 10 years. Started stacking up money and now have $20,000 in stacks of cash at the house, because my bank is paying next to no interest.

I researched quad copters for 6 months on the job, and realized the paradigm had shifted, you don't have to be in the cockpit any more to fly, and low and fast and wild and dangerous and aerobatic freestyle is exactly how I want to fly. I researched a shopping list of what the guys in the hobby relied on as their go to daily driver equipment, and spent $2,000 on high end digital equipment and parts (it trickles in weekly).

My plan before the pandemic was to get a UAV pilot job, but if that was far flung fantasy before, it's a laughing stock fantasy now. However, that is irrelevant... I want to fly and I deserve to fly... everyone does... and it will get me up in the air flying... every day that I want to get out of the house and go fly. No trailering a 20ft ultralight to the airport necessary. It's a steep learning curve and not a cheap hobby, but all the drooling to die for flight video on the internet is done via quadcopters. I was watching 100% FPV footage and no more ultralight flying at all. If you've got the skills to pay the bills, you can go places and do maneuvers in them a GA pilot would only dream about.

I'm not setting foot off my farm or getting a job until the pandemic is over and there is a vaccine. Fools rush in where angels fear to tred, and I'm not tredding, I'm 100% safe on the farm with zero outside world contact. I had planned to spend my summer flying my system, but since shipping from China is at a standstill or delayed, it will probably be July or August before I have it all up and running, assuming no critical high end part (like the DJI FPV goggles) gets delayed or lost in the mail.

Still got my ultralights and not sure what I will do with them - flying straight and level over the tree tops holds zero appeal to me now. I don't share my progress or post or participate on here any more because every single administrator has harassed me in email here about my contributions, when everybody else just clicks like, shrugs at them, or gets in their counter point 2 cents.

I don't think there is any chance to get any job in the aviation industry now for anyone at all. esp. not me with zero previous experience or training in it.

Going into a Great Depression, I doubt I will ever have a job again. They just aren't out there, and not for someone like me who doesn't do interviews. It's kind of not an option anyway, as I'm rapidly going blind. Thanks to getting hit in one eye with some carb cleaner, I'm already blind in one eye, and pretty bad in the other. Another reason ultralights are out. I guess I didn't finish them in time - I was in a race before my vision got worse and lost that one. No more driving for me. But it should not be a problem flying a quadcopter with the DJI goggles with a screen right up one inch in front of my face. If I put my face right up to a computer screen, yeah, no problem that close. If you have a can of carb cleaner in your shop, take my advise, it's the most dangerous thing you have in your shop, short of maybe your acetylene tank, and throw it in the trash pr squirt it all into mason jar wearing safety goggles and brush it on after that. A cocktail of nasty solvents in a high pressure can. Body parts heal up, but eyes do not :-/ In my case I was shooting it into the gears of a corroded little music box mechanism and it came right back at me.

There maybe some sweat cheap deals on buying up an entire failed airline or starting your own with all the airplanes about to be dumped on the market. Maybe someday I'll post how I bought some small airline you've never heard of in a government auction where no one else showed up for $38.... But probably not, because I'll be too busy fpv flying and video editing Gopro 8 or Insta360 One R footage for Youtube...

Happy flying, and good luck with your... um... rocking it old skool... planes. Something to be said for being retro. On the other hand, there is no constant but change. When you can take a quadcopter that you can hold in your hand, and fly anywhere in a 4km radius all around you (including straight up to 10,000ft) with a first person view for 15 minutes on one 6s li-lion battery, who needs a plane? Who even wants to drag a plane out of the hanger... if you can do that? Ugh. Too much trouble.

The paradigm has changed, and my generation ran with it. The people I see on Youtube doing the most flying all the time, and all the epic breathless flying, aren't flying airplanes.... and aren't even in a cockpit. I was just on the wrong forum. Now I hang with the rebel;ious black sheep and outcasts and mavericks and social warriors and riff raff that think like me and fly bandos and flip off authority fingers before I can even get my hands out of my pockets... :p

My local EAA vice president texted me the other day, and asked me if I wanted to go flying in his plane/ I guess EAA is closed and he is bored out of his mind with the stay at home sheltering (which I can do standing on my head), and I was... like... um... No thanks! I'll wait on my quad stuff to get here...

I'm sure I'll get some email from some admin about this innoculous post, but I felt obliged to reply to it having been addressed by name. Save you're typing, as I'll just delete your emails, and drift on back to my multirotor forums. No need to ban Choppergirl, I know my free speach loving self is not welcome here. Sad but true. But who knows, maybe I woke some of you up : - ) Enjoy your echo chamber little corner of the internet, I go in peace and wish all of you the best, and hope you all get flying even the splattering of misogynists here I don't particularly savor . Everybody who dreams of it deserves to fly! I still believe it. If you're still not flying yet after years of trying, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and sometimes you have to think way outside the box you've painted yourself into. I did! : - )

If you want to hit me up in the future, email me at choppergirl@air-war.org

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, I guess we've seen the last of her/him.

I will learn to live with the loss.

That said, I'm the manager of a flight test engineering department for a large aerospace company and I'm looking for qualified people with a security clearance. The notion that there are "no aerospace jobs" is patently false. Since this thread started I have hired two pilots, one FTE and one Mechanical tech in my organization.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.