Could I do this aviation job?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAF

Can you give us the link to that posting?

That appears to be about a million dollar a year job and, having never seen anything like that, I'd just like to gaze at it in awe.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
"You can forget that, nobody will train you for any job anymore, corporations and recruiters all want to cherry pick from people who already have experience, or rob already employed employees from someone else. That don't work anymore where everybody has to switch careers with almost every job change and start all over again at the bottom.

It doesn't just affect high school/college students. When you're industry tanks, and you have to jump ship and start all over in some other career, any other career, you'll find out soon enough, there are no doors anymore."

---- For what its worth, you may have missed out on the most phenomenal decade ever for getting a job in aviation. -----

"Those A&P mechanic guys don't seem too happy, living out of cars, working all night and going to school all day long. I think I'll pass on that just to be a grease monkey in a thankless job the public doesn't even know exists.
experience, or rob already employed employees from someone else. That don't work anymore where everybody has to switch careers with almost every job change and start all over again at the bottom."

----Yep, we can be a grumpy bunch at times. I've paid my dues by working at night, weekends and many holidays but I love it and would miss it tremendously if I had to leave it. Yep, I've had to switch jobs several times and even had to take a job in manufacturing in technical support after my airline job disappeared. I came out ahead in that one because they paid my tuition to increase my technical knowledge as well as paying for half of my Masters degree from Embry-Riddle.....did I mention the pension or 401K that I got while working in manufacturing for only 5 years?

---Just look at the current global situation.....we are heading for a big paradigm shift that will affect aviation in ways we haven't considered before. This is really going to shake us to the core but "aviation" will be needed in this new frontier. It's for young people like you to figure out what this will all look like in the future....so gather up all your drone ideas and get to work.....we need the help to keep it going. Surely someone will want a young and eager volunteer to lend a hand. You just cant tell what may come of it....could be the best thing ever.

Yellowhammer

I was browsing jobs today, not even aviation jobs, just all jobs, and came across a Naval Aviator job - and I was like, oh to hell with this, basically you have to already be a jet fighter pilot currently to get a jet fighter pilot job. Nowhere to get your foot in the door anywhere; the aviation industry is some kind of bad joke. /end gripe

Then I came across this oddball... you know I click all the oddball jobs.. (right after Chess teacher), and I was like, well, requirements are pretty generic, sounds like if you had a generalist community college education and were responsible, and the type of person that could stay on top of things you could handle it.

BTW, I know where McMurdo Station is at, I watched a Youtube video on it one time, it's at the *** end of the universe in well.. a grey frozen hellscape. I don't even need to look it up to know where it is and all the reasons nobody in their right mind would want to work there - a Snickers Bar would probably cost you $30. But on the other hand, maybe mostly CoronaVirus free?
Are the really paying that much an hour?

If so I am headed down!

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
I think it was a typo on their part, it's probably actually that per week. Die of frostbite and *not* get paid! That would put it in line with their other job they listed, about 5 others from Cargo Loaders to Fire Alarm techs that I found today, and they were less than that or double that PER WEEK. Boy, if you rushed down there on a Greyhound and then a Shrimpin' boat you would of been sorely disappointed!

I really want to build a heavy lift variable collective pitch quad the size of a storage shed with a high power to weight radial (stylin!) or inline aircraft engine (my Rotax 503?) in the center of the H frame. Boeing is now out of the picture. Heavy lift, rescue, construction crane, argricultural, air show, prison yard escape airlift pickup, or badass weapons platform. Whatever you want to use it for. Dual belt fed machine guns, dumb rockets, and a TV guided missle for mine, thank you very much. Just like I use to dogfight and dominate in, in 2142. Those boys *hated* me.

Now that I'm laid off, with no plans to rejoin the human race any time soon lest I drown from my lungs filled with liquid, I'm back to my socially isolated lifestyle. It's weird to see people freaking out and having trouble dealing with being socially isolated, when I've lived that way almost my entire life on a farm. I haven't had to change my behavior one bit to have zero contact. This was exactly how I was living before I started the flower shop job a year ago, right after finishing building the trailer and picking up the Poorgirl (which is still parked in the shop right where I left it).

My ex-coworker and I have to surf the job sites weekly (we call the US job boards collectively the "Ocean of Puke") and submit at least 3 jobs we applied to on the DOL kindergarden form, to qualify for unemployment. Five weeks later and I still haven't gotten the first dime from that process, just bureaucratic requests for more information, but meh I keep at it.

I'm not specifically searching for aviation jobs, because I know there just are none out there (done it before), but every now and then one like this pops up in the list of thousands of crap jobs I scroll through, and I thought I'd post it and ask; I don't know, it sounded like it had reasonable entry paramters to anybody who was a generalist with a college degree. WHICH ALL JOBS SHOULD HAVE. A LOW BAR TO ENTRY. DER. I'm a firm believer that just about anybody can do most any job, if you take 10 minutes to show them how or get them started in the right direction.

I would probably run off and do it if it weren't in Antartica. I told my friend, hey, you want to go to Antartica with me and be a Fire Alarm tech for $1800/hr??? And she was like, "H E double hockey sticks no, not for any amount of money!" I guess Antartica's reputation proceeds it.

Some old guys in aviation preach to me, well, you just got to pound the pavement and tough your way up. Go to school, get an engineering degree, whatever. If you got to sleep in a car in a parking lot to get a job and work all night long well that's just what you got to do. But I'm thinking, wait. This is how the old people in my family got an aviation job and probably you too: One person in my family got drafted into the air force and was put into a fighter pilot job. Another got drafted into the marine corp and was put into an air traffic controller job.

So I'm like wait, the government sends you an ultimatum letter you better comply with backed by the threat of prison, and demands you to work for them against your will, gave you an aptitude test, and then put you through a training program and assigned you a job based on your test results. So basically, Soviet era communism!

Yeah, we don't have that any more, now it's every person for themselves on the job boards where the only thing left is stuff nobody is qualified for. We'll all get a taste of that soon... the grocery stores are about to be just like the job boards, with shelves left with nothing on them nobody wants or can stomach or wants to overpay for.

Last edited:

Riggerrob

Shift work is no big deal during the Antarctic summer.
I did a summer's worth of construction work at Canadian Forces Station Alert, Northwest Territories. Alert is the same latitude as the northern tip of Greenland. I was on the night shift. At midnight, I was sitting on top of an I-beam, watching airliners fly across the North Pole through my dark sun glasses.
Temperatures hovered around freezing.
Snow quit falling in mid June and did not return until mid-August. We sometimes got a bit of rain in July.

Wanttaja

One person in my family got drafted into the air force and was put into a fighter pilot job.
This seems highly unlikely. The US Air Force has always required pilots to hold commissions, and, with few exceptions, people are not drafted into the officer corps in any of the services. Non-commissioned pilots did exist through WWII in both the Army and the Navy (and a few of them continued into the Air Force), but these slots were highly coveted and, again, it's unlikely anyone was drafted into them. During WWII, the draft primarily existed to put boots into trenches.

The exceptions are for specific specialty areas...medical being the primary one; doctors and nurses were basically drafted, given rudimentary training, and commissioned. "Hawkeye" in MASH would be a prime example. With the buildup in WWII, both civilian airliners and their crews were brought into the Army's Air Transport Command, but these were not fighters.

Now, it's possible that someone was drafted, and subsequently applied for pilot training and was accepted.

More details, please.

Ron Wanttaja

Yellowhammer

I think it was a typo on their part, it's probably actually that per week. Die of frostbite and *not* get paid! That would put it in line with their other job they listed, about 5 others from Cargo Loaders to Fire Alarm techs that I found today, and they were less than that or double that PER WEEK. Boy, if you rushed down there on a Greyhound and then a Shrimpin' boat you would of been sorely disappointed!

I really want to build a heavy lift variable collective pitch quad the size of a storage shed with a high power to weight radial (stylin!) or inline aircraft engine (my Rotax 503?) in the center of the H frame. Boeing is now out of the picture. Heavy lift, rescue, construction crane, argricultural, air show, prison yard escape airlift pickup, or badass weapons platform. Whatever you want to use it for. Dual belt fed machine guns, dumb rockets, and a TV guided missle for mine, thank you very much. Just like I use to dogfight and dominate in, in 2142. Those boys *hated* me.

Now that I'm laid off, with no plans to rejoin the human race any time soon lest I drown from my lungs filled with liquid, I'm back to my socially isolated lifestyle. It's weird to see people freaking out and having trouble dealing with being socially isolated, when I've lived that way almost my entire life on a farm. I haven't had to change my behavior one bit to have zero contact. This was exactly how I was living before I started the flower shop job a year ago, right after finishing building the trailer and picking up the Poorgirl (which is still parked in the shop right where I left it).

My ex-coworker and I have to surf the job sites weekly (we call the US job boards collectively the "Ocean of Puke") and submit at least 3 jobs we applied to on the DOL kindergarden form, to qualify for unemployment. Five weeks later and I still haven't gotten the first dime from that process, just bureaucratic requests for more information, but meh I keep at it.

I'm not specifically searching for aviation jobs, because I know there just are none out there (done it before), but every now and then one like this pops up in the list of thousands of crap jobs I scroll through, and I thought I'd post it and ask; I don't know, it sounded like it had reasonable entry paramters to anybody who was a generalist with a college degree. WHICH ALL JOBS SHOULD HAVE. A LOW BAR TO ENTRY. DER. I'm a firm believer that just about anybody can do most any job, if you take 10 minutes to show them how or get them started in the right direction.

I would probably run off and do it if it weren't in Antartica. I told my friend, hey, you want to go to Antartica with me and be a Fire Alarm tech for $1800/hr??? And she was like, "H E double hockey sticks no, not for any amount of money!" I guess Antartica's reputation proceeds it.

Some old guys in aviation preach to me, well, you just got to pound the pavement and tough your way up. Go to school, get an engineering degree, whatever. If you got to sleep in a car in a parking lot to get a job and work all night long well that's just what you got to do. But I'm thinking, wait. This is how the old people in my family got an aviation job and probably you too: One person in my family got drafted into the air force and was put into a fighter pilot job. Another got drafted into the marine corp and was put into an air traffic controller job.

So I'm like wait, the government sends you an ultimatum letter you better comply with backed by the threat of prison, and demands you to work for them against your will, gave you an aptitude test, and then put you through a training program and assigned you a job based on your test results. So basically, Soviet era communism!

Yeah, we don't have that any more, now it's every person for themselves on the job boards where the only thing left is stuff nobody is qualified for. We'll all get a taste of that soon... the grocery stores are about to be just like the job boards, with shelves left with nothing on them nobody wants or can stomach or wants to overpay for.

I too am looking for a new lime of work. I have been teaching school for too long. The system is broken and the kids are certain that they have learned all they need to know. It is very tough hunting a good job.

bboss

The Army will take you "street to seat", which means off the street straight into Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS). They are hurting for pilots currently. There're also enlisted aviation jobs like crew chief/flight engineer, ATC, mechanics (powertrain/powerplant/avionics...etc) flight operations, even UAS operators.

narfi

...... searching for aviation jobs, because I know there just are none out there (done it before)
Yeah, we don't have that any more, now it's every person for themselves on the job boards where the only thing left is stuff nobody is qualified for. ......

https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/a-and-p-mechanic/#! (apprenticeship program 1/2 way down the page)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I've never been to McMurdo, but I've been deployed and have worked with others at remote locations. It is imperative that each member of such a team work well with others. Things happen and each person needs to 1) avoid causing interpersonal strife within the team and 2) have a very high bar before taking offense, getting their feelings hurt, etc. The leaders of these teams don't have the time or resources to smooth over interpersonal conflicts.
Members of these teams need to be competent and be willing to go beyond their strict job description to get the job done. But more than that, they can't be "high maintenance" or a distraction to others (on or off duty).

Last edited:

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Yep.....and it's Taco Tuesday so this tired old A&P instructor is going home now. Oh, we are interviewing for new instructors this week....yep, someone is hiring for an "aviation" job.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I think that an instructor I had is typical. He worked whatever jobs he could to earn his PPL and follow-on tickets. When he earned his CFI, he started working at our local FBO as an instructor. The pay was awful, the flying wasn't especially fun, he came to work on short notice whenever an opportunity to fly presented itself, and he was building hours. He had a wife and child, and they pinched pennies to get by-- for many years. He had some very serious doubts about whether he was on the right road, if he was really meeting his responsibilities to his family. Finally, about 10 years ago he got an interview with a regional airline, a feeder for a major. Lots of other instructors got similar calls--folks who had been paying their dues, sometimes for many years. Last I heard he was a captain on a CRJ900, and probably working his way up the ladder.
It's not the path I would choose for myself, but he is happy (and thankful) for the way things had turned out. It wasn't a sure thing, and he made his own breaks. Again, I think this is typical.

Last edited:

lr27

Guys, if you don't like Choppergirl, read some other thread.

I know a guy who flew big drones for the air force, I think in Afghanistan. But it was not a picnic. Fortunately for him, at some point he would hand over the drone to the guy who would actually do the shooting. I should probably ask him how he got into it. If it started as a civilian thing, maybe I'd be interested. He got into Embry-Riddle and then into a major airline's training program and is now a co-pilot flying jets.

His future wife might qualify for that position at Mcmurdo. She also went to Embry Riddle, and then worked her way up handling logistics for a charter jet company. It seems to me that a good disposition and real skill with diplomacy woyld be very important for that job.

CG:

It may be tough to find jobs for a while, and it may not be a good idea for some months. If you were to finish restoring an ultralight, you would probably have a very good example to cite when answering the dreaded "self starter" question.

Furthermore, there can be a real sense of satisfaction when completed. This has been true for my bachelor's degree*, small boats, a couple of pieces of furniture, model airplanes, etc. Now if only the ratio of finished projects to started projects was larger...

I have found going to a shrink to be quite useful. I once had a housemate who used to call me a nasty old troll. (Even before the internet.) It's not a panacea, but if you have a chance, I suggest giving it a try.

*Or maybe that was just same the kind of relief as stopping hitting one's head against the wall. I wonder if that problem is why really thin Sheetrock is available?

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Guys, if you don't like Choppergirl, read some other thread.
The better option would probably be for the OP to quit making intentional posts on the forum to deliberately stir the pot.
The forum is here for like minded people to exchange information & ideas...since we can't all fit in one room together and talk in person.
The forum members aren't seeking out the OP...the OP is coming to the forum.
I look at it like this.....when you mingle with a particular group of people and you purposely make it a point to stand out.......well,as the Japanese say.....the nail that sticks out gets hammered.

So who's to blame.....the people that react when the OP posts for attention.....or the OP that purposely posted for the attention ?

In actuality....we should all be thanked for giving CG what she,evidently, so desperately craves........

Kevin

lr27

If you want CG to stop making this sort of post, and you really believe she's doing it for attention, then why are you giving so much attention?

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Because I think it's funny to watch and I'm extremely bored right now.. ..lol

You unknowingly fed the Troll by going through the whole shpeal of giving her advice to complete a plane and use it to look good for a position.
Advice has been given to her for years on how to advance in aviation..plus...people have offered TO GIVE her items,have offered to physically help,have offered free trips to Oshkosh.
And every single post is nothing more than how the world is against her,aviation sucks,communism is running rampant,etc,etc,etc....blah,blah,blah.

Look under my posts and you will see that very respected members have thrown a big thumbs up every time I call the OP out on the posted rants.
I may be wrong...but we all can't be wrong.

So........don't fall for the OP's stuff.....the Troll has been fed very well this week.
Lmao.....

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.