Could I do this aviation job?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

robertl

I think it was a typo on their part, it's probably actually that per week. Die of frostbite and *not* get paid! That would put it in line with their other job they listed, about 5 others from Cargo Loaders to Fire Alarm techs that I found today, and they were less than that or double that PER WEEK. Boy, if you rushed down there on a Greyhound and then a Shrimpin' boat you would of been sorely disappointed!

I really want to build a heavy lift variable collective pitch quad the size of a storage shed with a high power to weight radial (stylin!) or inline aircraft engine (my Rotax 503?) in the center of the H frame. Boeing is now out of the picture. Heavy lift, rescue, construction crane, argricultural, air show, prison yard escape airlift pickup, or badass weapons platform. Whatever you want to use it for. Dual belt fed machine guns, dumb rockets, and a TV guided missle for mine, thank you very much. Just like I use to dogfight and dominate in, in 2142. Those boys *hated* me.

Now that I'm laid off, with no plans to rejoin the human race any time soon lest I drown from my lungs filled with liquid, I'm back to my socially isolated lifestyle. It's weird to see people freaking out and having trouble dealing with being socially isolated, when I've lived that way almost my entire life on a farm. I haven't had to change my behavior one bit to have zero contact. This was exactly how I was living before I started the flower shop job a year ago, right after finishing building the trailer and picking up the Poorgirl (which is still parked in the shop right where I left it).

My ex-coworker and I have to surf the job sites weekly (we call the US job boards collectively the "Ocean of Puke") and submit at least 3 jobs we applied to on the DOL kindergarden form, to qualify for unemployment. Five weeks later and I still haven't gotten the first dime from that process, just bureaucratic requests for more information, but meh I keep at it.

I'm not specifically searching for aviation jobs, because I know there just are none out there (done it before), but every now and then one like this pops up in the list of thousands of crap jobs I scroll through, and I thought I'd post it and ask; I don't know, it sounded like it had reasonable entry paramters to anybody who was a generalist with a college degree. WHICH ALL JOBS SHOULD HAVE. A LOW BAR TO ENTRY. DER. I'm a firm believer that just about anybody can do most any job, if you take 10 minutes to show them how or get them started in the right direction.

I would probably run off and do it if it weren't in Antartica. I told my friend, hey, you want to go to Antartica with me and be a Fire Alarm tech for $1800/hr??? And she was like, "H E double hockey sticks no, not for any amount of money!" I guess Antartica's reputation proceeds it.

Some old guys in aviation preach to me, well, you just got to pound the pavement and tough your way up. Go to school, get an engineering degree, whatever. If you got to sleep in a car in a parking lot to get a job and work all night long well that's just what you got to do. But I'm thinking, wait. This is how the old people in my family got an aviation job and probably you too: One person in my family got drafted into the air force and was put into a fighter pilot job. Another got drafted into the marine corp and was put into an air traffic controller job.

So I'm like wait, the government sends you an ultimatum letter you better comply with backed by the threat of prison, and demands you to work for them against your will, gave you an aptitude test, and then put you through a training program and assigned you a job based on your test results. So basically, Soviet era communism!

Yeah, we don't have that any more, now it's every person for themselves on the job boards where the only thing left is stuff nobody is qualified for. We'll all get a taste of that soon... the grocery stores are about to be just like the job boards, with shelves left with nothing on them nobody wants or can stomach or wants to overpay for.
Construction work is still going on and you can become a "Fire Watch, or Hole Watch", and they will train you in about 15 minutes. The pay should be around $12.00 to $15.00 an hour and if you work a shut down, you will be working 72 to 84 hrs a week, and any hours over 40 a week is time and a half. You will have to travel to where ever the job is and pay your own expensives, skilled workers get per diem, welders, riggers, boilermakers, pipe fitters etc. Some jobs may last only a week while others may last a couple of months or longer. If you can pass a background check and get into Nuclear work, often times the company will want you to go to the next job because you are already trained and in the system. Shut downs are seasonal, usually Spring and Fall, plants don't like to shut down during peak season. I always liked to work shut downs because you can have a lot of time off but still make a lot of money in a short time.
Bob

BJC

HBA Supporter
Our Florida plants employed as many as 1,200 temporary skilled workers in the Spring outage season, but more typically 700 to 800. By moving from outage to outage, temps could get 8 to 10 weeks of 60+ hour weeks, a few could get as high as 72 hours per week. We paid union craft labor rates, i.e., good money by any standard. The Fall outage season typically had about a half the number of temps. Most of the temps were repeat hires who chose to work as temps rather than full time because they liked the lifestyle (allowed building dune buggies, fishing, hunting and farming the rest of the year) and they made enough to live comfortably. Those lacking skills, lacking a focus on quality, lacking a strong work ethic, lacking the ability to work well with others, and whiners did not complete the outage. We usually found plenty of craftsmen - instrument and control technicians were an exception - ready and willing. We had people from as far away as Texas.

Hole Watch is an easy-to-do, quickly trainable, basic, yet important safety task. Unfortunately, we had a few that did not complete the outage because they became complacent. If you ever have been the last man out, and the Hole Watch was not there checking you off the list, you had justifiable thoughts of homicide.

There are plenty of jobs to be had for anyone of reasonable intelligence with a strong desire to learn, get along, and work hard.

BJC

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without !
I guess with the market now flooded with aviation ex-employees with far more experience than me, I can kiss any idea of an aviation job goodbye and throw that fantasy right out the door.

I'm wondering, if standing on the front doorstep of a Great Depression, should I spend all of my savings to buy a dream airplane. That would be either extremely financially foolish, or aviation hardcore, I haven't decided which. I got 20 lbs of rice and a lot of spagetti noodles, that will hold me a while. One part of me says sit on your meager savings from your one and only garbage job like it was gold coins, the other part of me says... gosh dern I've been waiting to fly a very long time... :-/

And now I can fly low and slow over plague country, how post apocalypse epic would that be? Maybe paint "DON'T PANIC" on the bottom of my wings. Go for some altitude records because now there's next to no commercial flights up there to run me over above 10K.

Last edited:

TFF

Just like any time, people leave their industry and new people show up. Quit before you try. You’re a better person than that.

Pops

Log Member
Our Florida plants employed as many as 1,200 temporary skilled workers in the Spring outage season, but more typically 700 to 800. By moving from outage to outage, temps could get 8 to 10 weeks of 60+ hour weeks, a few could get as high as 72 hours per week. We paid union craft labor rates, i.e., good money by any standard. The Fall outage season typically had about a half the number of temps. Most of the temps were repeat hires who chose to work as temps rather than full time because they liked the lifestyle (allowed building dune buggies, fishing, hunting and farming the rest of the year) and they made enough to live comfortably. Those lacking skills, lacking a focus on quality, lacking a strong work ethic, lacking the ability to work well with others, and whiners did not complete the outage. We usually found plenty of craftsmen - instrument and control technicians were an exception - ready and willing. We had people from as far away as Texas.

Hole Watch is an easy-to-do, quickly trainable, basic, yet important safety task. Unfortunately, we had a few that did not complete the outage because they became complacent. If you ever have been the last man out, and the Hole Watch was not there checking you off the list, you had justifiable thoughts of homicide.

There are plenty of jobs to be had for anyone of reasonable intelligence with a strong desire to learn, get along, and work hard.

BJC
I worked as a construction Boilermaker for many years. Started in the apprenticeship in the 1960's. Worked as a high rigger, etc. Went to B&W's welding school to learn to weld tubes in their B&W Boilers. Welded boiler tubes for many years for many Boiler construction company's in new construction Power plants and also maintenance outages in all kinds of plants.
Between jobs in the slow times, I also always had a side business, building VW engines, VW only car lot,etc. Could go to a paper mill in VA, every July 4th week and week between Christmas and New Years and work 10-- 12 hr days and make a months wages as on a new construction site. One repair job at a coal fired power plant that I help built came down from some blowed tubes. Went in Tuesday morning, came out to for a couple hours to eat. Back in until Sunday night at 9 PM. Had a place to get a little sleep and food catered in. Round the clock work until done. All double time and per diem and in and out travel pay. Had to get it back on the line as soon as possible at peak usage time.
Have worked 4-5 years at one place on a new power plant, or get a call to go for 2 or 3 days in some other state. You never know. Went on a 3 day job and it lasted over a year. Sometimes you are the only one. Lot of times you get home from a job in another state and the Union Hall would call about time I got home and want me to be in another state the next day on a break down. I really like that kind of job, because you were your own boss a lot and it was all up to you to get things fixed.
Most people don't really know, but I have been on large jobs were I was the only one on the job without a degree. Most everyone has a degree in Mechanical
Engineering or going to school when they have time. The apprenticeship schooling is a good start.
I also have a Millwright Union Journeyman card.
Dallas Shell and I got a call about going to the Alaska pipelines in the 1970's but we both had young families and was making about as much closer to home.
If I was single , I would have went. And maybe I could have finished my ratings and stayed there. I'm sure things worked out for the best.

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
And YOU'RE the reason that we are in the shape that we are in right now Pops....THANKS !!!
What were you thinking when you chose a path in life,applied yourself,learned a skill,worked hard,made something of yourself in life,raised a respectable family,etc ???!!!
You were SUPPOSE to just complain about a life that you will never have because you won't apply yourself....like everyone else does.
Thanks for setting the bar so high...I guess I will have to get up in the morning and go to work now because of you....ugh.
THANKS POPS !!!

I hope you realize that I wrote that while chuckling the whole time.
I have nothing but respect for you and several others on the Forum.....

Kevin

Pops

Log Member
And YOU'RE the reason that we are in the shape that we are in right now Pops....THANKS !!!
What were you thinking when you chose a path in life,applied yourself,learned a skill,worked hard,made something of yourself in life,raised a respectable family,etc ???!!!
You were SUPPOSE to just complain about a life that you will never have because you won't apply yourself....like everyone else does.
Thanks for setting the bar so high...I guess I will have to get up in the morning and go to work now because of you....ugh.
THANKS POPS !!!

I hope you realize that I wrote that while chuckling the whole time.
I have nothing but respect for you and several others on the Forum.....

Kevin

Thanks, But I always loved what I was doing. When you love what you are doing, its not work, its fun.

Gareth

I am now 72,still get to do paid work, no engineering quals as such but was a boilermaker and moved about to jobs before setting up my own eng company,most paid jobs now are 1 to 2 weeks managing a small project ,i retired at 62 self funded retiree,am now building 2nd aircraft, there is usually jobs to be had ,just gotta put yourself out there, move to another area for a while in these current times it will get harder to find jobs, and in Australia no more private flying for a while, are well back to building parts

don january

Log Member
Tho I'm beyond sick of this thread I will post one last thing that these members should know about our esteem 'Chopper girl" I don't know of other members but in the past I mailed CG parts and items related to home built aircraft to try and assist with her or he?? dream to get the plane off the ground such as 440 Kawasaki engine and much more. This was a couple years ago and to my dismay not one step advancement has the poor craft made. If I was a moderator I believe she or he would be 86st off this site for good. This site should be for aircraft period not a place for some individual to play with Media and fantasy's to kill boredom and frustration because of a life that appears to be a loosing battle.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Things are very much in turmoil right now, many will lose their jobs but there are new jobs waiting to be created......it's that unknown element that scares most people. You worry about the ability to support yourself and your family and when you will have stable employment again. I know because I have been there a few times and it doesn't get any easier as you get older. The one thing that I can recommend to CG and others is to get as much education as possible and build up a network of people that you can trust will help you if needed.

Some of us older folks are having to develop new skills such as moving traditional teaching methods into an online environment. In the past 3 days I have been trying to spool up on using Google Classroom and teaching via an Internet connection. I would much prefer to stand and deliver and then transition to the labs for the much more fun hands-on element. I'm told this is only temporary but like most things that is an undetermined amount of time.

Thankfully we have our HBA group to listen and support and help us to find a small piece of normalcy to maintain some calm through all of this.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Non-commissioned pilots did exist through WWII
My grandfather was one of them. He flew for the (in order of namesake, IIRC) Signal Corps Aviation Section, Army Air Service, Army Air Corps as one of the ‘Flying Sergeants’ from 1917 to 1930. The Flying Sergeants (or Flying NCO’s) both flew and maintained their aircraft. He Was based in Texas in the beginning (Kelly Field), then sent to California to help open and establish March Field in Riverside, and later returned to Texas. He was also part of the DH-4 Douglas World Cruiser project, originally flying as a Mechanic and pilot, at least until the Top Brass decided that it would look better if all of the pilots for the official flights were all officers, and eventually relegated him to work only as a support crew despite having flown training flights in the prototype aircraft.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Not sure how many of you guys have seen the TV show "Catfish", but many of you are living it in this thread.

Just sayin...

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Tho I'm beyond sick of this thread I will post one last thing that these members should know about our esteem 'Chopper girl" I don't know of other members but in the past I mailed CG parts and items related to home built aircraft to try and assist with her or he?? dream to get the plane off the ground such as 440 Kawasaki engine and much more. This was a couple years ago and to my dismay not one step advancement has the poor craft made. If I was a moderator I believe she or he would be 86st off this site for good. This site should be for aircraft period not a place for some individual to play with Media and fantasy's to kill boredom and frustration because of a life that appears to be a loosing battle.
don......I couldn't agree with you more on pretty much everything that you said.
My viewpoint of the situation is that aviation is hard enough to participate in as it is.
But when individuals play on peoples sympathies and extort parts from them along with using a public forum to air their own personal,delusional and political rants everytime they log in.....well,that agitates me to no end and they become free game at that point.
I've wondered for quite some time why the Moderators have tolerated her behaviour.....she should have been banned a long time ago.
And if my behaviour of outright speaking my opinion of the situation warrants action from the Moderators I will happily take my punishment.....I would much rather be banned than to be a cancer that eats away at the integrity of the group.

Kevin

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Got's to load up the family with our home on the back of the truck, now that the farm has blown away, and clear on out of the dust bowl, heading to Cal-i-forn-ya-eh. I got this handbill off a telephone pole, that says Amazon is hiring merchandise pickers
1924 Dodge - old car ain't no count if it can't ford a stream

Last edited:

robertl

Save your money CG, go work some shut downs and you will have ample $$$ to do what ever you want as long as you don't blow it ! I've worked with people that went from shut down to shut down and needed a draw on their future pay check because of drugs. You may not be able to have it all, but you can have enough, even though you can't have it all right now, it takes time. The jounery of a thousand miles starts with the first step.
Bob

bboss

OK, so maybe I was trolling a bit myself... my bad. I was expecting the standard: "I don't like to take orders from others..." Whatever... I guess I'll just go work on finishing the condition Insp. on my Sonerai IIL.

Deeds, not words... and all that.

Tantrum1

Log Member
Those A&P mechanic guys don't seem too happy, living out of cars, working all night and going to school all day long. I think I'll pass on that just to be a grease monkey in a thankless job the public doesn't even know exists.
Please for the love of all things aviation holy, do yourself a favor and better educate yourself! Instead of googling this S&@t maybe go talk to some of us A&P's (in my case AME, Canadian equivalent), grease monkey? Do you even know what it takes to maintain todays fleet of aircraft? I have more training on one airframe then the flight crew that flies it! Specific Airframe training, engine training, avionics training, advanced troubleshooting training. I'm very happy with my work, have an employer that thinks we are on par with the flight crew. Get constant feedback from employer when/if we go above and beyond. I'm definitely NOT living out of my car, and have no need to attend school in the off time (however I would love to take a welding class, I need to look into that).

I'm trying to be polite, but your arrogance regarding aviation employment seems to be based on your laziness to get off your butt and put in the effort required to work in almost any field of employment....

Group Builder