Concepts only: Doodles without numbers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

The proper Kraft low wing plane would be a Kraft Kwik Fli 1 or 2 but I would jump ship for a Bridi Dirty Birdy.

TFF

Any shoe phone owner knows a Dirty Birdy is just a Kaos with a pretty face. You can always throw another wrench in for a high wing with the RCM Trainer. The slab side square fuselage that Kraft, at least made cool, goes a long way.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hmmm, getting back to the Ugly Stik, is Victor Bravo's visibility concern really a dealbreaker in practice? There are, after all, quite a few successful midwing designs out there.

1433790-large.jpg Sonerai-turns-50-FORES.jpg JDT_(Team)_Mini_Max_1550V_V-MAX_ZU-FJG.jpg

TFF

Two are race planes where visibility is generally not cared about. The Max is a function of the wing can’t be any lower and not have struts work. Success that they were made, or success because they were the best airplanes?

For a regular pilot, they might be intimidating to fly when you don’t see any ground when landing. For the pilot who will step up, they would be rewarding.

The Church is one of my all time favorites since I was 12; doesn’t mean it’s built in any practically.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hmmm, I am going to have to disagree on this one. The Team MiniMax certainly has a reputation as docile, forgiving little plane well-suited to low-time pilots despite the restricted vision due to the wing placement. Playing with the longeron height on a giant Ugly Stik should certainly give visibility no worse than a MiniMax. Of course, another option is go with a mid- or shoulder wing with the spar behind the pilot but that requires forward sweep with all but lightest two-stroke engines. There is also the possibility of adding windows to the cockpit sides or even transparent covering to the wings near the roots to improve visibility in the flare.

Here's an example of a very VP-like mid-wing design, the Léger Pataplume I.

pataplume 1 d.jpg pataplume 1 c.jpg pataplume 1 b.jpg pataplume 1 a.jpg

TFF

Docile is not what I’m talking about. In the air, is the easiest place to be. To me the more maneuverable the easier to fly. The MiniMax is slow and docile and the pilot sticks out pretty good, so landing view is not too bad. A Sonerai and the Church are both blind as bats for landing. They all have a missions. I think the definition of success needs to be tightened up otherwise everything is a success. Essence of greatness and then let it devolve. Not everyone gets a trophy. I think all of them are great in certain ways. A Stik, a real one to act like the real model, is stable like a Cessna, aerobatic enough with lots of margin but not super crisp and darty . Simple to build and tough as a bush plane. The real MiniMax has Stik in it, but if a Teenie Two had a thicker Hummel wing with still the T2 airfoil and made just a little bigger, that would be a Stik.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I think that the Cassutt can be a great little sport plane, but the one that I have some time in had very reclined seating, and the pilot could not see the runway due to the wing. More upright seating would solve that issue.

BTW, it was straight forward to fly.

BJC

FoamyDM

Landing gear? ;-)
It's hard to see... there are gripping claws tucked up in. good for cargo fly-by snatch and grabs, and alighting on most roof parapet walls. :p

@REVAN - have you considered building one as a RC Glider? (3d printed in LW-PLA), looks like a great bird.

Also have you looked up the Prandlt-D NASA research? It looks like a perfect application here.

Here is the RC model I built:
Build Log: PRANDTL-D Foam Board Wing by FoamyDM

Last edited:

delta

The concept is simple, but the application may require more numbers than I'd be able to put together. Assemble many small airplanes and attach them to each other and a frame that holds the pilot, engine, and gear. 3d printed titanium may be a little over the top, but I could see cnc foam cores and cf winders in play.
mp10td3c.JPGmp16b3.JPGmptd4.JPGmpr7c.JPGmpr5d.JPGmpr6d.JPG

delta

Intersection thrust sounds awesome. Perhaps I could get you to write the prospectus and as your next chapters project do something like this???

mpr8a.JPGmpr8b.JPG;)

Joseph Doherty

The time finally came to temporarily get away from all the aircraft design and performance code writing, put some put pencil to paper, and begin to figure out what my design should look like (based on the preliminary output data from my code). Below is where things stand today. With this basic layout accomplished, I can now go back to the code side of things to continue developing the design. The lines are not perfect in what's shown, but again, the main purpose of this particular CAD work was to allow me to start refining the layout so I could plug some necessary data back into my code.

The airplane is being designed to be:
- 2-place
- LSA-compliant
- Continental O-200-powered

I consider the Globe Swift to be one of the prettiest airplanes ever built. You may notice a resemblance to that as well as the Morrow Victory Trainer.
20211022 - JD-1 Images - 7.PNG20211022 - JD-1 Images - 3.PNG20211022 - JD-1 Images - 1.PNG20211022 - JD-1 Images - 6.PNG