Composite books?

Discussion in 'Composites' started by 4trade, Jun 6, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1

4trade

4trade

4trade

Please, can anyone tell me what is best book for Rutan type of foam/ composite building and designing today?

2. Jun 6, 2012 #2

harrisonaero

harrisonaero

harrisonaero

3. Jun 6, 2012 #3

berridos

berridos

berridos

From my point of view not very useful.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. Jun 6, 2012 #4

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

For building, Rutan's book is a very nice primer. For designing, you can glean some "best practices" for practical design tips. However, for analysis, there's nothing there. The books listed in the Composites section FAQ are the place to go for that. They don't address moldless solid-core composites directly, but the principles are the same.

StarJar likes this.
  5. Jun 7, 2012 #5

dviglierchio

dviglierchio

dviglierchio

That little book started the construction of hundreds and hundreds of flying canards - pretty useful.....

6. Jun 8, 2012 #6

4trade

4trade

4trade

Thank´s for reply.

I need that book more builder point of view, than designer point of view, so i will order that Rutan´s book.

7. Jun 8, 2012 #7

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Go to the FAQ for composites, and look for Books.

8. Jun 8, 2012 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

9. Jun 9, 2012 #9

4trade

4trade

4trade

I already read that, thank´s. I have two basic composite book in my library....but that moldless composite work is some kind of grey area for me. I order that Rutan´s book yesterday and stat to collect basic understanding for this at start.

10. Jun 9, 2012 #10

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

RAF manual IS in the FAQ Books. It was designed to get folks confident that they could build a VariEz.

11. Jun 9, 2012 #11

4trade

4trade

4trade

That is only link to Amazon site.

12. Sep 8, 2015 #12

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Turns out that I have two copies of Moldless Composite Homebuilt Sandwich Aircraft Construction, 3rd edition, Sept. 83. "These are the structural methods and materials used in building the VariEze, Long-EZ, and Solitaire aircraft."

In fairly good shape; will sell only copy on the honor system for $20, shipping included (Continental US only). PM me if interested. When you get the book just send $20 to my address in the package. I will use the money to buy a beer or two for a service person and myself when I travel on commercial airlines.

Blue skies,

Tom

13. Sep 9, 2015 #13

tunnels

tunnels

tunnels

Banned

china is my home , place of work but was born in N
    Biggest problems with books they are out of date by the time they hit the shelves !! Composites is no different ! Some of what I've seen is laughable and way out of date !!

14. Sep 9, 2015 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

What do you recommend?

BJC

15. Sep 9, 2015 #15

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

This book has been sold to a member. Thanks

16. Sep 9, 2015 #16

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Listen to self-proclaimed internet experts. They are more likely to be up to speed on current practice. Preference should be given to those who contradict what you know to be true and advise you to "think outside the box."

BJC and AVI like this.
  17. Sep 9, 2015 #17

don january

don january

don january

Sorry can't help with the right book but can I suggest you get a tape recorder and record yourself during your build! You will learn the easy part's and the hard by all the cussing you record. When building the KR2 I learned alot of new word's, good and bad...:):cry: Don stinson 3.jpg

18. Sep 10, 2015 #18

tunnels

tunnels

tunnels

Banned

Need to read yes but more helpful is to learn about how some of the materials are actually made !! then you have a much greater appreciation of what each product is and what and how you can use it to build what ever you have locked away in your mind !
    Properties and usability is much more use that non thinking lay up that other people have used for the past 20 years ! There is a constant research into resins and fibres and all other material that are used in the composite industry . If you really want to find information get into industrial and commercial composites !! When I first started I thought I knew heaps till I went to a industrial composites company AND WORKED WITH A BUNCH OF OLD GUYS the had spent there lives Making using and inventing things !!
    Wow what a shock that was !! I knew I knew nothing after just a couple of hours there !!But I became a sponge and absorbed knowledge and when I left just 6 months later and went back to the marine industry I could see how stagnated and backward that industry was !! Television was another interesting place making free for shapes (mould less glassing ) for the set making department after 4 years of that and doing special effects (before the days of star wars and digital ) I had itchy feet and again back into the marine side again so I made a rule once I had learned and absorbed info from a company I would leave and get another job . My knowledge and experience grew and had the phone ringing and companies wanting me to go work for them !!
    But again I still had a thirst for knowledge of boat design and went to work making and repairing high speed water craft and TUNNEL hulls !! If it didn't do 100 mph I wasn't interested !! After the bad times of the boating industry and companies closing one after the other was time to look overseas and diversify into teaching and trouble shooting ! And that's where I been for the past 15 years ! I have created a job called Composite forensics and that's the study of problems and everything associated to that problem ! people, tools ,material's , methods and even thoughtless silly management !!

19. Sep 11, 2015 #19

tunnels

tunnels

tunnels

Banned

my latest is double vac bagging of infusion items !! Its the next step up the ladder ! And infusion is the next step from just wet laminating and using peel ply !! Have done some pre -preg but didn't turn me on at all !!
    There has to be a stage where you should not step over the line with the amount of resin that you don't have !
    With each of the processes the margin for error gets smaller and smaller !! Safety is always my number one ,top of the list issue !!
    Have built light weight and never had a failure ever ! But have seen plenty of items and parts where people have been extreme and they have failed because of ignorance and not understanding 100% what they were doing or what the part was actually going to be subjected to and of cause trying to be smart !