Quantcast

Closest thing to an all metal F1

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Ardent

What’s the closest O-200’able all metal design to a Formula 1 air racer?

Midget / Long Mustang definitely jumps immediately to mind. RV-3 on the big end, though too heavy. The Hummel H5, requires far too many modifications, but has the general shape with a lower canopy.

Not trying to build or race for F1, but I love the class, and would really enjoy a polished and modified little plane to get closer to an F1 style build.

Would enjoy hearing thoughts on designs that may fit the concept, with tweaking.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Long design was a purpose designed Goodyear Midget racer, now called IF1. Built to current ( Bushby modified) plans - light, no starter or electrical, they perform well as a sport plane with a C-85 engine, and they look great. I have seen versions with up to 200 HP with CS props, but I would recommend nothing heavier than an O-325. I heard of one being built with a Jabiru 3300, which greatly intrigues me, but I have not seen one.

BJC

TFF

The Midget Mustang was originally a Goodyear Racer. That series turned into F1. I believe it’s best finish was third so it was not a winner.
Looks like I’m second place.

Ardent

Thanks great info so far, Cosmic Wind is a new one to me. Midget Mustang was top of the heap needless to say for a first thought.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Cosmic Wind GORGEOUS!

Years ago I got a small batch large scale model of it. Still have it. Really nice lines.

Riggerrob

Bill Falk's "Rivets?"
Mind you, "Rivets" raced in several different configurations (e.g. prone pilot).
I love the Cassutt style canopy on Rivets, but still think that Rivets requires a taller fin.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You could possibly take the 2 seat Sonerai that is often built as a single seater, and do a little engineering for the extra weight and power and speed of the O-200.

BJC

HBA Supporter
You could possibly take the 2 seat Sonerai that is often built as a single seater, and do a little engineering for the extra weight and power and speed of the O-200.
The nicest single seat Sonerai that I have seen was powered by an O-200.

But I took the OP to be asking about all aluminum planes.

BJC

TFF

Listen here VB. This is HBA. This is a drift free thread site. Violators will be punished. You may be required to either go to Georgia and work on the Raptor or spend a week being indoctrinated by the non flying dream plane alliance.

I believe the CosmicWind was a run of three kits. I don’t think there were plans. I don’t think it was supposed to be such a short run; just happened to be. One of them is in one of the booth buildings at Oshkosh hanging from the ceiling, I think.

jvliet

Bill Falck's "Rivets" had an all-metal wing but the fuselage and tail were steel tube with fabric covering. NOT RECOMMENDED to build a flying copy as the tail surfaces were much too small, it had minimal control at low airspeeds

TFF

The secret of looks is cheek cowls. RV3/4 always had the right look. Much better all around airplane. A MM is still prettier. A friend’s uncle had a MM with an O-200. He used it to run around for business. Had an airplane repair shop. Before Amazon, he would hop in and go get parts he neeeded right away. He was finishing one with a O-235 and a lot more fuel; that was a while back. Building the wing right is the key to making it tame or evil. Get the leading edge wrong and it’s scary. A local had one with a 360 and I know two who flew it only once. Scared the crap out of both them.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The secret of looks is cheek cowls. RV3/4 always had the right look. Much better all around airplane. A MM is still prettier.
I was at Oshkosh 1972 with several MM builders when I saw Van and his new RV-3. After talking to Van, and looking at the -3, I showed it to the MM guys. They scoffed at it; rectangular wing, dorky-looking landing gear, missing a good streamlined turtle-deck. “No one will want one of those!” They proclaimed.

I prefer the MM for aesthetics and the cockpit, but would love to own either one.

BJC

Ardent

Figured the MM would be closest to it, some great thoughts coming out though. I wish there were plans for a Reberry 3M1C1R available, even though composite. Granted the construction techniques and materials are well beyond a one man hangar build, but that’s one of the prettiest aircraft ever produced. Stands with the greats.

Appreciate the thoughts folks.