Closest thing to an all metal F1

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

thjakits

Thjakits and TurbAero really appreciate the responses.

I’m very attached to centreline seating for this dream, I want a skinny little rocket. ...Plan would be to polish the fuse, paint the wings and nose, it as I love polished metal racers. For the same aesthetics reason I love centreline seating I want a wing platform with some beauty, not a Hersey bar.

A modified Midget Mustang is winning the race of my imagination at this point, maybe with a Rotax 915is instead of the Lycoming. But... it’s all dreams and talk til I buy an engine and cut metal.
Well, maybe you can get over the Hersey bar....
If it is definitely going to be a 1-seater and metal...:

- Midget Mustang, extra careful built - retracts
- Lighting Bug
- RV-3 or RV-4 (Maybe a Harmon build...) - someone should be able to design you a tappered wing... - retracts
- See if you can get your hands on the POLEN SPECIAL plans!! Nowadays this thing would be easier to build and equip...

Powerplant: DEFINITELY something from a car! Subaru-6 or a LS V6 or even a small V8 (LS again or Lexus) - put all the cooling behind you - overbuild the gear-box (...or go Alu-big[ger] block direct drive with an extra bearing block/fixture for longitudinal forces and propeller loads... Possibly a turbo as a muffler!)

...gotta go and work now.... (...waiting to move a hydrocore, IF the weather allows)

thjakits

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The stock Cassutt 3M is likely going to be the best combination of most affordable, fastest, and fastest control response for your particular flight mission.

If you want to achieve this mission in the "real world", IMHO you are going to have to give up the sheet metal portion of your original desire.

I once owned a Cassutt with an aluminum sheet metal wing, and it was not any fun to fly at all, but it was an entirely different design than the stock wing.

You could absolutely, and EASILY build a sheet metal version of the stock Cassutt 3M wing, and not have to deal with the wood if wood is the issue.

If you consider the RV-3 as not having the type of handling that you want, you need to be put in a straight jacket and checked in to a mental health facility on an emergency basis... stat ! :)

Doran Jaffas

The stock Cassutt 3M is likely going to be the best combination of most affordable, fastest, and fastest control response for your particular flight mission.

If you want to achieve this mission in the "real world", IMHO you are going to have to give up the sheet metal portion of your original desire.

I once owned a Cassutt with an aluminum sheet metal wing, and it was not any fun to fly at all, but it was an entirely different design than the stock wing.

You could absolutely, and EASILY build a sheet metal version of the stock Cassutt 3M wing, and not have to deal with the wood if wood is the issue.

If you consider the RV-3 as not having the type of handling that you want, you need to be put in a straight jacket and checked in to a mental health facility on an emergency basis... stat ! :)
I know that last part was a joke but it's almost true. I fly at Wittman Tailwind and I really enjoy this flying characteristics and this landing characteristics but the RV series of aircraft speaks for itself. I would not mind only one of those myself and a friend of mine has an airframe he is about to sell because he is pulling the engine out and putting it in another RV he is just completing.