Quantcast

Closest thing to an all metal F1

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

In the early years, an RV3 and a MM would have been a wash to build. They both would have been scratch. Under that one reason, I would pick the MM. RV today is a whole different animal. Coming to flying and probably cockpit space, an RV3 is probably a Cadillac. When sitting in the cockpit, you don’t notice the wings or the paint job; you notice flying. That is where VanG won the race. Most of the style that you can fit in and don’t need to be an astronaut to fly. The details can be washed away. I had a friend with two RV3s. His and his wife’s. That’s how they traveled. He did not build either, but his had a turtle deck not a bubble. It was pretty cool. The other was a better made plane, but not as cool.

C.D. Donald

I've considered the very same question. And so far as to ask Sonex if they'd consider a F1 version of the Onex. At least I'd fit into a Onex...

A race prepped O-200 wouldn't be too heavy (about 200 lbs), so it would really be a matter of the wing.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I've considered the very same question. And so far as to ask Sonex if they'd consider a F1 version of the Onex. At least I'd fit into a Onex...

A race prepped O-200 wouldn't be too heavy (about 200 lbs), so it would really be a matter of the wing.
200 lbs is about right on. Old friend of mine in Columbus, OH used to build race 0-200's. They even sounded good at idle.

Ardent

That is where VanG won the race. Most of the style that you can fit in and don’t need to be an astronaut to fly.
Curiously enough, for my personal uses those are strikes on the RV-3. I’m a heli pilot by profession, flying a lot of AS350. I’m spoiled with a 270 degrees a second roll rate, and 1/8” control inputs and appreciate them very much, all with zero intrinsic stability. The Astar, and most multi bladed helicopters are like balancing a baseball bat on your hand, you forget you’re doing it but the pilot is the stability augmentation system, there’s no built in stability; it just wants to roll on its back while yawing and punch in if you let go.

Whenever I get in my fixed wings after a heli shift I’m astonished at the lack of response from the controls, it’s an almost uneasy feeling for the first five minutes having such heavily damped inputs, and the aircraft doing things on its own like leveling the wings after a disturbance. In this thought, about the little all metal Formula 1-esque options out there, a firecracker with sharp and light controls, and low stability is what I’m dreaming of. I’ve had a Wilga, and have a Murphy, flown the Cessnas, Beaver, Caravan etc and I’m keen to get a little rocket that’s affordable and put the fun and spice back in fixed wing.

Don’t take this as me talking tough or that I’d be any match in aerobatics for a RV-3 pilot who knows what they’re about in that regard. But I want a very quick commuter, heavy on the sport light on the practicality, that fits under the wing of my floatplane in the hangar. I’m basically looking for the 600cc sportbike of airplanes.

TFF

I agree on the S1. Race planes somewhat try and dampen out the roll. Rolling is drag and drag is slower. I’m not say they roll slow, I’m saying if it was for aerobatics, they would ramp it up. Been trying to work out the bugs in this for the last two weeks. 0A8719EF-8F96-4DC9-9E3B-F3D1133737F0.jpeg