• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can wood be vacuum-infused?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggi

So here's my thinking. Wood (assuming it's a high-performance species like spruce) is a much better structural material than fiberglass composite by almost every metric... in theory. In reality, wood's mechanical properties are dependent on its natural grain structure and resin content, and structural optimization is more difficult than with glass because wood doesn't bend or conform to molds so easily.

Of course, the issue of grain orientation can be overcome by lamination, and laminated wood is used very often in aircraft construction in the form of plywood and sometimes laminated spar caps. However, the level of structural optimization in wooden planes is generally much lower than that of composite ones. This, I think, is because wood is already lighter than glass and so optimization isn't as important, and for most designs the extra effort wouldn't be justified.

Suppose though that for some reason you need an airframe with unusually high strength/weight, with a budget that doesn't allow for a hundred pounds of carbon fiber. If you sliced your wood into thin veneers and arranged it creatively, maybe with some steam bending, could you do anything with it that you could with glass or carbon, including vacuum resin infusion?

I know laminated wood is commonly vacuum-bagged with rolled-on glue, so perhaps wood just isn't porous enough for infusion. However, I've read that it's been done successfully with bamboo, and that vacuum infusion is used to dye and stabilize wood, but there's not a lot of information about infusing with epoxy for bonding purposes. Thus the question.

Last edited:
Back