HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sad event for the Wiebe clan

https://www.facebook.com/172640762799863/posts/2370087636388487/

Good morning,

Last night, about 11:45pm, we received a call from emergency services that our building had been in a fire. Arriving a few minutes later, the scene was filled with fire trucks and emergency vehicles and swarms of firemen and water hoses.

It appears that the fire started at our CNC router dust collection system. Intense smoke filled the building, and my office and much of our building contents was destroyed. The back area of the building (in the production area), everything higher than 6' off the ground was melting or burned. Much of our raw inventory and all of our older collections of parts for older aircraft designs (for instance, procub and ultracub) was upstairs.

It appears that almost all raw inventory and most if not all Work In Process for aircraft kits was destroyed. The team had just shipped 4 airframe kits and was getting ready to ship another batch this month, along with many back ordered parts for customers. I have been working hard on an air force contract and my IP along with my sole working sample were found in the debris of my office.

We had been working very hard this year. I had just checked our sales for the year earlier in the day, and they were at a record company level. We were showing a nice year to date income level.

Sadly, tragically, our office cats, Lucky and Daphne, did not survive.

We do not know what is next. While I've been writing this, Kathy has been on the phone with the insurance person.

James & Kathy Wiebe

BJC

HBA Supporter
Sad.

I hope that their insurance is sufficient for them to recover.

There may be a safety lesson in this for our workshop practices.

BJC

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Sad.

I hope that their insurance is sufficient for them to recover.

There may be a safety lesson in this for our workshop practices.

BJC
Fortunately it did not consume their home. Very sad for the loss of their pets. Everything else is replaceable except for the memories. Coming back from a total-loss fire is a difficult task and could take many years.....over 35 years for me. Haven't thought about it for many months until now.

Glad James and Kathy are still with us and hopefully will be back in business in a few months.

BJC

HBA Supporter
.. Coming back from a total-loss fire is a difficult task
Yup, my parents lost almost everything when I was 8. Pre Civil War plantation home in the country, no fire protection (which meant no insurance), burned to a hole in the ground on Thanksgiving. Only thing salvaged was a turkey from the chest freezer, perfectly cooked.

BJC

Pops

Log Member
Hate to hear this. Pray for a quick recovery. A fire or flood is a terrible lost.

Group Builder