Another airliner missing

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Alan Waters, Dec 29, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2015 #301

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Without my going back to the transcripts, I'll ask if they conclusively show that the good engine was shut down by the pilots or could it also have failed of its own accord. It occurs to me that fuel contamination could cause both failures at separate times.

I am also open to the remote possibility that this plane may have come from the maintenance hangar and maintenance crews could have crosswired engine controls leading to misidentification or misaction, though I think that would have revealed itself during the taxi or startup.

2. Feb 8, 2015 #302

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

I think it was gliding, untill it got down, near the buildings. At that point, they probably raised the nose to avoid hitting a building broadside.

3. Feb 8, 2015 #303

Georden

Georden

Georden

Flight data recorder shows crew shut down good engine.

The aircraft stalled 6 seconds after the first engine failed, and another video from a rooftop shows it falling in a nose high attitude before passing the buildings.

StarJar likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2015 #304

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I would like a link to that if you have it. All of the videos I've seen only show it as it clears the buildings without enough precursor to tell if it was in a nose high descent or simply being pulled up at the last second to clear the buildings.

5. Feb 8, 2015 #305

Georden

Georden

Georden

[video=youtube_share;RUQWJai59lo]http://youtu.be/RUQWJai59lo[/video]

6. Feb 8, 2015 #306

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

That looked like the total angle of attack was about 25°.
    Estimated wing incidence 5°
    Nose up attitude 5°
    angle of glide. 15°

25° total

7. Feb 8, 2015 #307

Georden

Georden

Georden

I would estimate it to be higher than that, but either way still stalled.

8. Feb 8, 2015 #308

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Given that trees don't generally just suddenly jump into the path of airliners and cause crashes, I'm pretty sure that comment just lowered the collective average IQ of this forum by at least a couple of points. If you're wrong, just come out and say "I screwed up." You'll erode what respect people have for you much less than by trying to weasel out of it.

If there were a clear cut mechanical cause, it would be more likely to be a quick investigation. Contrary to what we see with the NTSB and the "Oh well, pilot error..." approach to GA investigations, a predominantly human factors cause will more likely result in a longer investigation.

Generally, that only when happens when someone blunders into an area where their ego exceeds their knowledge. I've been on the receiving end of that a few time thanks to Autoreply, BJC, Turd, et al and I am a wiser person for the experience.

9. Feb 8, 2015 #309

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Reality check on TransAsia: In 20 yrs, they have crashed 5 ATR's. That represents 30% of all ATR crashes. They are a one airline wrecking crew. They crashed this airplane due to a plain and simple screwup and there was a check airman on the flight deck in the jumpseat.

Facts from the CVR/FDR data (this is not speculation): Right engine failed, autoshutdown functions worked as advertised. A few seconds later, the crew reduced power on the left engine, which was still running normally, then shut it down. Now they have zero engines running and a discussion ensues about restarting the engine they just inadvertently shut down. They run through the checklist and actually get a light off but they run out of speed and altitude, and stall the plane in the river. Another ~10 seconds and they might have pulled it off. Makes you wonder how many times they "almost" crash? Scary stuff. I will give them credit for getting through the checklist and getting a restart. That was a phenomenal accomplishment under the circumstances. However, in this country we have a saying - don't create your own emergencies, which is what they did.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  10. Feb 8, 2015 #310

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Sorry about your egos. However, it seems better not to further discuss with you because there is risk you might first drag me down to your level of 'wiseness' and then beat me down with experience. Thank you for this lesson that there are people who believe themselves wiser just because they form a pack and prevail with mediocre numbers instead of reason. It's good to learn this because it might help avoiding such in the future.

11. Feb 9, 2015 #311

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

And... then there is the humility to accept that there are people who know more than you and admit that you are wrong.

BJC, Matt G. and SVSUSteve like this.
  12. Feb 9, 2015 #312

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Seeing as I am a scientist, I deal strictly with reason. I simply pointed out that your "reason" is flawed and doesn't stand up when compared to reality. A good example is "My post relies highly on logic that a rational and trained pilot would not shut down an operational engine if the other is out". It has happened quite a few times. Go read about the Kegworth 737 crash or the 2013 Glasgow police helicopter crash as those are the two most high profile circumstances of it that jump to mind. I'm also aware of at least three cases in light twin aircraft over the past fifteen years here in the US.

No reason to be sorry about my ego. I'm secure enough in myself and in my knowledge to recognize its limits that I don't view being corrected as a personal insult but rather as simply what mature people do because none of us know everything. Maybe you should try it some time...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Matt G. likes this.
  13. Feb 11, 2015 #313

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Banned

PPrune tells the 1st engine was just about to restart as it crashed.

14. Feb 11, 2015 #314

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Banned

15. Feb 11, 2015 #315

BJC

BJC

BJC

The pilots of the airline’s ATR turboprops who failed the test, which was conducted orally, will be suspended pending further training in handling emergency situations, the aviation authority said. It said an additional 19 pilots still had not taken the test and could not fly until they had passed.

[Apparently the question was: If an engine fails in flight, which engine do you shut down? - BJC]

SVSUSteve and BBerson like this.
  16. Feb 11, 2015 #316

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

They did better than the 50:50 guess probability! :ponder:

BBerson likes this.
  17. Feb 12, 2015 #317

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Which are also about the chances of this airline still being in operation this time next year....

18. Feb 13, 2015 #318

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

We can only hope.

19. Feb 13, 2015 #319

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

How about the Dover AFB C-5 crash as an example of a highly trained and experienced crew doing the wrong thing with a "good" engine and flying a perfectly capable aircraft into the ground?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

bmcj, SVSUSteve and rv6ejguy like this.
  20. Feb 13, 2015 #320

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

What happened? Was it too much flap drag? Looked like 80° flap on the guage.