A i r c r a f t S u p e r C a l c u l a t o r 7.5.1

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Armilite, Feb 15, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 15, 2019 #1

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

jedi likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2019 #2

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Sketchy thread title, zero description, link that ends in alphabet soup... Someone else open that one up first and let me know how it goes.

FritzW and Dana like this.
  3. Feb 15, 2019 #3

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

It went like this:

SuperCalculator.jpg

Link without alphabet soup: http://chrusion.com/BJ7/SuperCalc7.html

blane.c likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2019 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I didn’t visit the link, but I did use my phone’s preview function and this is what it shows:

879AB41E-061E-4110-AC50-F67A028D2983.jpg

Looks legit.

5. Feb 15, 2019 #5

rotax618

rotax618

rotax618

Link works fine on my ipad, very interesting and usefull.

6. Feb 15, 2019 #6

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

The link didn't set off any of my malware detection tools, but the application at the other end is extremely basic and really isn't sufficient for more than a "quick look" before doing a more-extensive analysis. Despite their showing a purported list of the equations involved, it's also a bit of a "black box", and I would advise extreme caution in relying upon the results of its calculations.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    bmcj likes this.
  7. Feb 15, 2019 #7

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

looks useful thanks.

8. Feb 15, 2019 #8

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

There are dozens of such "calculators" out there on the web.

Perhaps the best one is by Tony Bingelis.

9. Feb 15, 2019 #9

rotax618

rotax618

rotax618

Pretty useful for initial model design studies.

10. Feb 16, 2019 #10

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Fair enough, I had thought it may be that calculator but wasn’t willing to risk it on a work computer.

11. Feb 16, 2019 #11

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Why not just put a useful title and description on the thread to begin with and save all the hassle? ...we can't ask choppergirl to be our "canary in a coal mine" on every flaky looking post :gig:

12. Feb 16, 2019 #12

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I fear no link.

No shenanigans, other than by Facebook. The data after the ? is just a randomly generated unique variable assignment to "fbclid" passed to the script on the webserver where the calculator is hosted. The calculator script more than likely ignores it, and does nothing because it's not looking for or interest in such a variable, no more than it would be looking for this variable i just made up... ."wheredidicomefrom" in this URL I just made up... chrusion.com/BJ7/SuperCalc7.html?wheredidicomefrom=i_clicked_on_a_link_posted_by_choppergirl

Try it, and look in the URL of your browser: http://chrusion.com/BJ7/SuperCalc7.html?wheredidicomefrom=i_clicked_on_a_link_posted_by_choppergirl

The webserver at chrusion.com doesn't care about any variable named wheredidicomefrom, any more than that it cares about fbclid (probably standing for FaceBook Click ID), so it just ignores it.

You can read all abut fbclid here... it's a variable added by FB if you post a link to it. Why? So that any website aware of this variable can see, it was traffic coming from a Facebook post. If it cares. If it's even looking for it. When would it be looking for it? If the person coding the webpage added some FB comment section or other FB plugin gizmo on their page in their webcode.

In short:

Someone airplane guy posted the original link to Facebook; Facebook appended a tracking variable to it. Armilite copied that link he saw in a Facebook post and posted it here. It's harmless because without looking at the webpage source code (I can if you want, easy to do), I doubt the calculator page has any FB plugin added on it that would track you (and that's about the worst it could do). .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Wayne likes this.
  13. Feb 16, 2019 #13

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

No explanation of which neutral point they are talking about. Turns out you actually have to learn this stuff for yourself if designing other than RC. #perkins&hage

Topaz likes this.
  14. Feb 16, 2019 #14

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I got to wondering once if it’s would be possible to take a concept like this and expand it like nobody’s business. Basically an Excel-based UL-matic spreadsheet book. You *should* be able to have internal databases of all the variables so the user inputs some parameters like weight, configuration, material choices, etc. and have the program spit out basic construction drawings. The results wouldn’t give the best solution for the job but should give something workable. If I was better with Excel I’d give it a shot.

15. Feb 16, 2019 #15

BJC

BJC

BJC

Have you looked at the John Roncz spread sheets? They are quite old, but my recollection is that they were reasonably thorough.

BJC

Topaz and Pops like this.
  16. Feb 16, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

After designing all of my RC models since the early 1960's and control-line models since about 1950, John Roncz's spread sheets in Sport Aviation really started me into learning, and still learning.

Topaz likes this.
  17. Feb 16, 2019 #17

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Link above opens fine with Google Chrome, Have you Updated your browser lately?

18. Feb 16, 2019 #18

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

I guess A i r c r a f t S u p e r C a l c u l a t o r version 7.5.1 isn't Simple enough for you. Most Programs start out at version 1.0, so it's been a round a while at 7.5.1. If you can understand hwo to use it, then use it, if not find one you can use. Google the Name and READ about it if your that Paranoid. If you have a good Anti Virsus Program like you should and keep it Updated, you should not have any trouble with a Link Posted on here. I have been using Computers since the begining of the Mac II Series about 31 Years ago, and the IBM 286/386 Computers, used 7 days a week for many Hours a day, and have never been hit by any Virus from any Website. I have over 4000 website Book marks, so I have Looked at a lot of Websites! Those are only the ones I found interesting enough to Save. Probably another 3000+ that I did not. You have got a better chance of catching a virus from your e-mail then Websites like this that usually Scans any Links posted. Do you go around wearing a Tin Foil Hat also? Now, I'm almost 62 with about 31+ years of using Computers.

19. Feb 16, 2019 #19

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

My issue was that it was too simple. With all of your experience surely you’ve seen that a thread title with spaces between each letter and nothing but a mystery link in the first post is a common spam posting technique. I know you’ve posted lots here and would otherwise trust you, but I questioned whether your account security had been compromised and elected not to risk my (incredibly crappy) work computer over it.

20. Feb 16, 2019 #20

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I didn't say anything about 'simple', I said 'useful'.

By putting a space between the letters you've made it harder to search for unless people remember that you did that (that's not very useful). By leaving out any sort of description you make people have to click your mystery link to find out what it's about. To me, it just rings of childish, clickbait spam.