$84k ultralight Corsair

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by BBerson, Apr 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 23, 2019 #21

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Here's how you get the price of that plane to come down...........
    DON'T BUY IT !!!

if they are a "business" oriented company...they will figure out very quickly that their price is WAY out of line when they don't sell any.
    Then,if they want to stay in business....that price will start coming way down !!!

Kevin

2. Apr 23, 2019 #22

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I like how when I howl about how insanely overpriced aviation is, you guys call me whiny and tell me to go get a job, Taco Bell is hiring.

But when the slider bar is moved 10x or 100x over on you guys to the X factor I deal with every day, you guys hoot and holler like a bunch of owls.

84k is nothing for an airplane. Nothing!
    Go get a job, you slackers.
    Taco Bell is hiring.

Derswede likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2019 #23

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

And to whom exactly was that comment directed towards?
    I've never implied that you should get a job....so please don't catagorize me in with others that you have an axe to grind with.
    I make 6 figures a year and find that price to be out of the range that I would spend on a kit......money isn't the factor,spending my money wisely is.
    I was merely expressing my viewpoint on the comments that have been made towards the price of an aircraft.
    When the manufacturer figures out that the price is WAY OUT OF LINE then they will drop the price to whatever the market will tolerate if they want to remain in business.
    See,industry has a diluted perspective of its place in the economy.
    They initially think they can charge whatever they want for their *wizbang2000* until they realize that they are going bankrupt without an inward flow of cash.
    Then they pull their heads out of the clouds,and their *sses,and drop their price to start the flow of cash that keeps them alive.
    The consumer has the power by deciding if and where the money will be spent.
    Want to get the price of that plane dropped by half ? .......don't buy it for 6 months to a year !
    Let the company struggle financially and see what happens to that price.....

Kevin

4. Apr 23, 2019 #24

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Also,let me add this choppergirl.....
    I agree with you 100% that aviation is overpriced.
    But it's that way for a reason....people keep paying the asking price instead of withholding their money until the supplier struggles to stay in business and drops their prices.
    What incentive do they have to straighten up if the money keeps coming in ???
    It's like wanting a junkie or alcoholic to get clean or sober while you're handing them their next fix......not gonna happen !
    Cut them off and watch the results....but it has to be a team effort to be effective.

Kevin

5. Apr 23, 2019 #25

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Or, people decide the price is too high, the company made a thing that can't viably be sold for less than a given value because the cost to produce it is just that high, and so it simply stops being made at all.

From what I gather, I honestly don't believe this 103 Corsair can exist at a price point significantly lower, because of what goes into it. The man hours, the shop time, the raw materials, the included components, the many various legal and insurance fees, etc. It always comes down to the fact that there is no lower price point where the increased number of sales needed to cover operations would coincide with increased volume of sales expected due to that lower price.

So, basically the bet is probably on a given volume supporting the product at the given price, and hoping that that works.

I've been through all this in my head, forgotten most of it, and then had to remember it all again, with my own single-seat replica warbird kit project.

That said, the reception we've gotten has been very encouraging. So, there is certainly a theoretical market out there. It will come down to finding that proper sweet-spot in the curves. I don't know the genesis or the intent of the Corsair but I hope they have found the sweet spot that works for them even if, for the vast majority of us, it seems way out of our expectation.

jedi, Himat and BJC like this.
  6. Apr 23, 2019 #26

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

My comment was to the room, and to no one in particular. I sit in the back row as the designated Devil's Advocate, and pipe up every now and then at random, between popping bubble gum, and cleaning out black paint from under my fingernails with my knife. Usually it's to point out the Elephant in the Room.

I'd actually like to see aviation get 10x more expensive... where a Cessna 170 is $300,000, a Kolb Firestar is $150,000, and a Legal Eagle is around $100,000.

It's not that those are outrageous figures either. One good Day Trade should do it for you.

Maybe then we can finally get some of this riff raff middle class out of aviation.

We already cleared the poor completely out by raising it 10x. Another 10x would do it... and clear out the grubby middle class.

Is there even a middle class left? I don't know. Rich people, start buying up what's left of private airplanes left and right, they aren't making any more. Only folks like Kermit Weeks who can charge Disney visitors a museum entrance fee to fund his absurd collection should be allowed to dabble in a rich playboy sport.

There's even already a system gaining traction, to keep the great unwashed out... gated community private airports and air parks and such. Privatize and sell off the desolate city airports to those rich folks would can afford to maintain such a luxury as their own personal playgrounds.

Nobody hollers when it don't affect them. They only start to holler when it starts to affect them. Point.

Or did you miss the point. Just dropping my provocative thought bombs. Discuss. Or not. :)

What do I know, I make airplane parts out of road signs like the rest of you...
    You did make your instrument panel out of an aluminum state highway road sign, right?

If not, we may not live in a classless society.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    jedi likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2019 #27

BJC

BJC

BJC

Time will tell whether or not the pricing of the ultralight Corsair makes it a viable aircraft kit or finished offering.

It is easy to criticize, but orders of magnitude more difficult to do. Those who think that kit airplanes could, and should, be viable products at significantly lower costs, should get into the business themselves.

BJC

8. Apr 23, 2019 #28

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

The fact that some guy in Europe is selling an (arguably) overpriced ultralight really has nothing to do with the affordability of aviation in general or one member's recurring Marxist critique of aviation and the economy. Move on and DFFT.

9. Apr 23, 2019 #29

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

New prices have always been ridiculous, so look at used.
    My first airplane was a Chief basket case for $1500. I bought it with my brother and only had $750.
    We rebuilt it, I got my private rating in it and then we sold it after a few years for $6000. Then I bought a Cherokee for $5000 and rebuilt the engine.
    Flew that Cherokee all over for a few years and sold it for $10,000. And so on, many more.

10. Apr 23, 2019 #30

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

My best guess would be that the company will sell a half dozen or maybe even a dozen because there will always be a select few people that will spend the money just to have bragging rights to say that they have something that nobody else does.
    But once those few customers have ran their course in that niche market....I would dare say that you will see the company adapting to more realistic business strategies in order to survive......meaning,that price is going to come way down.

Just my opinion though......

Kevin

11. Apr 23, 2019 #31

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Out of curiosity............
    What price would you guys like to see that plane at ?
    And,how long would it take you to be able to afford the plane at the fair price you pick.
    Be realistic with your pricing and your financial timeline.

Kevin

jedi likes this.
  12. Apr 23, 2019 #32

Himat

Himat

Himat

If there is margins to cut, in other words there is a significant difference in cost of production and the announced price. Else, they move on to make something else or shut down business.

13. Apr 23, 2019 #33

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Aluminum signs are way too heavy for instrument panels. Try a coroplast one. If your instruments are too heavy for it, laminate two layers if you don't want to spring for thick stuff.

14. Apr 24, 2019 #34

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Himat......you're right with your assesment.

I'm giving the company the benefit of the doubt though.
    Two things will cause the cost to come down over time....

1. The "fad" has passed......just like vcr's,dvd players,cell phones .....etc.
    Look at the outrageous prices these items went for when they were first introduced...and then prices took a nose dive.

2. The company gains experience....
    They find cheaper suppliers,streamline their production process,will probably lose a few employees that are no longer needed...etc.
    Their overhead will drop and they can lower prices while still making a profit.

Kevin

15. Apr 24, 2019 #35

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Belite cut the $50k initial price drastically. But I don't know of any others.
    I noticed ICON has full page ads on the back cover of FLYING now. Makes one wonder about the 2000 deposits claimed.

16. Apr 24, 2019 #36

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Whatever, you sell a handful of expensive UL Corsairs while quietly figuring out your UL Mustang/P-40/FW-190/or some such.

17. Apr 24, 2019 #37

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Put a straight wing on and it is an fw-190 and a Zero! But it will look rather ordinary then.
    I'm sure that they'll sell a few as rich mens, or boys, toys.

18. Apr 24, 2019 #38

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    If you are going to laminate you might just as well add a foam core.

19. Sep 13, 2019 #39

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I don't really care how cheaply they can sell that "Corsair" for - it looks stupid and I would feel utterly ridiculous buzzing around in that at 80mph pretending I am Pappy Boyington. Not belittling the technology that went into the design and build; it just looks silly.

20. Sep 14, 2019 #40

Saville

Saville

Saville

Maybe. But if that's all you can afford and you want something that looks like a Corsair that's what you will get. Lots of people would like something like this but aren't willing to do the design and initial construction themselves. And yeah you will imagine you are Boyington and the 80mph won't matter.

Some people are romantics and this will appeal to those.

The price is kinda high though, for romantics.