$46500?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gtae07

Everything that is powered has a breaker. Yes, there are quite a few, but we have a fairly complex installation.
Would you mind posting a closeup of the breaker, fuse, and switch panels? I'd like to see what all you're powering. I'm in the planning stage of a two-alternator two-battery dual-bus system with glass and electronic fuel injection, but I'm not anywhere near that many separate circuits.

TXFlyGuy

Would you mind posting a closeup of the breaker, fuse, and switch panels? I'd like to see what all you're powering. I'm in the planning stage of a two-alternator two-battery dual-bus system with glass and electronic fuel injection, but I'm not anywhere near that many separate circuits.
Your system is very similar to ours. It will be a few days but I will get a close up photo. In the meantime, here is a list:

EFII
ECU
GEA24
GSU25
GDU460
GEAR
FUEL PUMP
TRIM
FLAPS
ALT FLD
START ALT
FUEL TANKS
LAND LT
NAV LT
STROBES
PITOT HEAT
TACH
USB
BOSE
GRT MINI
CLOCK
AUDIO
COM 1
COM 2
GPS 1
XPNDR
GAD29
GDL39
FS210
ELT
GMA307
A/P
ALTERNATOR

Mark Z

I installed a push to test light on the starter side of my solenoid to indicate a hung starter. After start the light should go out or the solenoid is still engaged. Something to consider. Oh yeah, there is an inline fuse to the hot side of the light and the solenoid has a breaker labeled "Start Switch".

gtae07

Your system is very similar to ours. It will be a few days but I will get a close up photo. In the meantime, here is a list:
<snip>
Ah, ok. Now I see it. I guess those circles to the left of the tach and MP gauge are indicators, not fuses?

I'm planning to combine a couple of the things you have as independent breakers, and I'll probably use blade fuses for most circuits. Just a difference in philosophy.

TXFlyGuy

Ah, ok. Now I see it. I guess those circles to the left of the tach and MP gauge are indicators, not fuses?

I'm planning to combine a couple of the things you have as independent breakers, and I'll probably use blade fuses for most circuits. Just a difference in philosophy.
Those are all function indicator lights, just like on a B-727. Press-To-Test. Landing gear, fuel pumps, hydraulic pump, etc.
Lets us know when these are working, and when they are off.

Last edited:

PTAirco

I understand the appeal of high tech toys, but what's the ratio of expense vs actual utility for that enormous sum of money? Or money vs enjoyment?

PTAirco

I would go with period correct stuff.

I guess maybe all I really need is needle, ball and airspeed. .

This is something I don't get - you see a lot of warbirds with super modern, clean glass panels in them. To me that totally spoils the "time machine" effect, which is what I want if I am flying an older airplane (or a replica of one). Looking out at the wings of a P-51 or a Waco or an SE5a and then looking inside at 21st century glass panels would totally spoil the whole experience for me. I have seen great restorations where the nasty modern (but so very useful) stuff was hidden away behind a dummy panel or a glove compartment. That I can live with. Now if you have to fly real world IFR, I guess you would need to compromise somewhere, but a GPS with full IFR capability hidden away and period-looking steam gauges would do it for me. To me, flying IFR on steam gauges is no more difficult than on a glass panel as long as you have a little, basic GPS unit to help you out.

These are both sim cockpits, But I know which I'd enjoy flying in more.

r51.jpgcockpit_img9.jpg

TXFlyGuy

The truth is the mission profile requires utility. A fully capable airplane with the ability to fly fast, long range, and go IFR when the weather is less than VFR.

Period correct means heavy, expensive, and trouble prone. And, I actually like the looks of this panel.

Old style analog gauges are a thing of the past. We will enjoy flying this, for sure. A good friend, and P-51 owner, installed a modern glass panel in his Mustang.

Toobuilder

Log Member
This is something I don't get - you see a lot of warbirds with super modern, clean glass panels in them. To me that totally spoils the "time machine" effect, which is what I want if I am flying an older airplane (or a replica of one)...
Depends on what you want out of the experience. I personally am much more requirements based with aircraft and dont get mini warbirds myself, but I do have a much more artistic, sentimental side when it comes to automobiles. I love classic cars and in my eyes, one of the sexiest automotive shapes ever created is the 1963-1967 Corvette Coupe. The driving experience however is typical mid 60's detroit, and I have owned plenty of that. Having been spoiled by my 2008 Corvette, I can say with absolute authority that as a day to day transportation device, the newer version is a vast improvement over the mid 60's version in every regard except looks. So the "perfect" automotive solution for me is to find a derelict mid year Vette and infuse it with the newer car's drivetrain, suspension, interior amenities and drivability. I don't want to experience the 60's for a daily driver, but I sure wouldn't mind riding around in that breathtaking shape.

Pops

Log Member
Depends on what you want out of the experience. I personally am much more requirements based with aircraft and dont get mini warbirds myself, but I do have a much more artistic, sentimental side when it comes to automobiles. I love classic cars and in my eyes, one of the sexiest automotive shapes ever created is the 1963-1967 Corvette Coupe. The driving experience however is typical mid 60's detroit, and I have owned plenty of that. Having been spoiled by my 2008 Corvette, I can say with absolute authority that as a day to day transportation device, the newer version is a vast improvement over the mid 60's version in every regard except looks. So the "perfect" automotive solution for me is to find a derelict mid year Vette and infuse it with the newer car's drivetrain, suspension, interior amenities and drivability. I don't want to experience the 60's for a daily driver, but I sure wouldn't mind riding around in that breathtaking shape.
Doing the 1930's and 1940's, my father and his (business pardners) drove Cords. Myself and my buddies ( business pardners sons) got to take a 1937 yellow Hollywood Graham Coupe out on a cruise once a month. Never allowed to take the 1937 Cords just like in this picture.
Airplanes first, cars second.
Back when they made cars.
Dan

Attachments

TXFlyGuy

Great photo of the automobile. Maybe we can avoid thread drift, however. Or, we can start a thread on old cars. I have some cool pics too.