21st century Volksplane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I have been trying to find a way to respond to Mr. Clark. This is a kind and well intended offer. It has taken some time to frame a reply. I am personally afraid of the cable gear. Most of a decade has past since this fool has flown and most of another is likely to pass before I have an airplane to fly. I am willing to take a little more time, save up and spend some money on a Grove free standing gear.

I am appreciative of the offer, I really am. Thank you. Blane.

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/cable-braced-landing-gear.25122/#post-327995

Eddie Clark

No offence taken as to your not wanting the gear. It came from a parted out VP years ago, and was give to me by a friend. I wanted it for the tires and wheels to use on a non-flying cart to use in the yard. It had old floating disk brakes that had corroded up so bad, that they were not usable for anything. Eddie Clark.

David H

Mr. Clark, Blane is in my EAA club and we were talking about the VP landing gear that you have. Can you give more details? Do you know the type of aluminum stock it was made from? I may be interested - I am in the very early stages of building a VP1.

Eddie Clark

Hi, David. As I stated, the gear was given to me by a friend, who retrieved it from a (non- wrecked) VP-1. I would assume though, that is made of 7075 T-6. The only way to know for sure, would be to have a Brenell test done. I think I spelled that correctly. Anyway, you get the idea. Wish I could provide more info. But that's all I know. If you have ever been to Triple Tree Aerodrome, I am the one that restored the 1937 award winning Spartan Executive there. Also, I have built 4 of the Nick Jones White Lightnings in the past. Just to give you some of my background. If you haven't heard of Triple Tree, look up the web site. You will enjoy I'm sure.

David H

Hi, David. As I stated, the gear was given to me by a friend, who retrieved it from a (non- wrecked) VP-1. I would assume though, that is made of 7075 T-6. The only way to know for sure, would be to have a Brenell test done. I think I spelled that correctly. Anyway, you get the idea. Wish I could provide more info. But that's all I know. If you have ever been to Triple Tree Aerodrome, I am the one that restored the 1937 award winning Spartan Executive there. Also, I have built 4 of the Nick Jones White Lightnings in the past. Just to give you some of my background. If you haven't heard of Triple Tree, look up the web site. You will enjoy I'm sure.
Sounds good If you are still interested in seeing it put back in a VP1 send me a note phrogflyerch46@gmail.com

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have the plans to the Leger Pataplume 2, Erkki. It's a lovely design with good performance for the power but it's a true European microlight with a 450 kg gross weight and 278 kg empty weight. Even taking it to 105% (allowed with a ballistic chute in France) gives you 472.5 kg gross. Subtract about 30 kg/66 lb for full fuel and you're down to 142-164.5 kg/312-362 lb for people and stuff. It could absolutely work, but you need to be draconian about trimming weight and keeping everything simple, nose to tail, from the lightest possible engine to Oratex fabric. See https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/leger-ulm-pataplume-2.12996/

Last edited:

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
The fizzle-out was long overdue because of the conflict with complete redesign versus suggestions involving improvements to help the plane fly better. I have started my PV-2R (modified VP-2) with changes to the stabilator which will help alleviate a known tail-heavy condition by building it using lighter construction.

Victor Bravo

There were also several opposing viewpoints on what would constitute the VP-21. Some of us thought it was an exercise to create a modern solution to the same mission the original VP was for... but we were not forced to base it on the VP. Others thought it had to be VW powered, or had to look the same as the VP, or had to be made of the same materials as the VP.

So one specific thread could not contain or incorporate all of the opposing ideas well.

Aerowerx

What surprises me is that there aren't 10 other threads on the same topic.

That is usually what happens here. Some one starts a thread on a topic without checking to see if there is an existing one.