Your opinion on the Tractor Style Gyrocopter?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by cheapracer, May 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 5, 2017 #21

vtul

vtul

vtul

Not for me, I much prefer the looks of older style tractors like the Detroit News and Beechnut examples to the modern pushers. But then I'm an artist who has ignored art theorists for quite some time.

If you really want to learn about what's up with electric propulsion re. modern light autogyro design, a great place for info on innovative experiential information is in the modeling community, especially here:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/auto-gyros-224

Twin rotors are considered easier to work with in models than the more complex single rotor. I'm not sure gyro models show the same ground looping tendencies that conventional gear fixed wing models do. But a lot of interesting questions can be answered there, and many other interesting things learned. There's a lot more open development and innovation at small scale than large. Yes, yes, I know, models aren't real airplanes, effects don't necessarily scale, Reynold's numbers are different, etc, etc, etc.

nevertheless.....

Reminds me of a theater acting crowd story passed around -- Maria Callas I believe, performing at the London Palladium, the announcer introducing the great opera singer was interrupted by a drunken heckler in the audience, who shouted out, "Maria Callas is a @#&%!"

The annnouncer, unflapped continued, "Nevertheless........Maria Callas, ladies and gentlemen!".

cheapracer likes this.
  2. May 5, 2017 #22

vtul

vtul

vtul

Well, to get enough Vstab area/rudder authority without the rotor hitting it when flexing the fin has to be low slung, and therefore long in profile.

One of the first homebuilt accidents I was aware of at ten years old was a short notice in a New Orleans paper about someone who had died in a Bensen gyrocopter when the rotor contacted the rudder. I don't recall reading the reason why this occurred.

3. May 5, 2017 #23

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Again, probably over-simplified but I believe pilot-induced oscillation (with no horizontal tail for damping) caused a lot of that kind of accident.

cheapracer likes this.
  4. May 5, 2017 #24

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Exactly what I want, a normal plane other than a rotor speed up system, but once done people just fly a STOL plane without other thought, not a gyroplane.

... and don't call me Ashley.

The flying in the last half of this video is just great, you can see the ailerons going at the low speeds towards the end ...

[video=youtube;mQieKnglzj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQieKnglzj4[/video]

I have a perfectly usable design coming along right now that has a whopping strong roll bar to base a rotor from.

I am so doing this the moment I get the basic plane out of the way first. My second model was always going to be a STOL anyway, it will save me scratch building that, and best of all for my position, this layout is incredibly suitable to the developing Chinese recreational flying market that lacks airfields.

I repeat again that the setup could carry the extra weight of being all electric, with extended range recharging from the rotor itself, driving the same electric motor that speeds up the rotor initially.

I have no interest whatsoever in those little gyrocopters.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    cluttonfred likes this.
  5. May 5, 2017 #25

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Might look something like this, with 5.2 meter span for both the rotor and the wings, I have no idea where the crossover span point would be though.

If it was under 6 meters then a twin blade with 2.5 meter removable wings would be a delight to trailer and store at home.

5.2 meter gyro.jpg

cluttonfred likes this.
  6. May 5, 2017 #26

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I like the look but I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the wings. Lose the wings, make the rotor bigger and tilting in two axes, make the horizontal stab fixed and probably add endplate rudders for low-speed directional stability and I think you'll be closer to the mark.

7. May 5, 2017 #27

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

While on the topic of gyro planes, I have followed Rotary Wing Forum for years. All I get now is "Invalid URL". Anyone here know what happened to them.
    Thanks

8. May 5, 2017 #28

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

9. May 5, 2017 #29

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

They are not selling in that configuration, the very reason I started the thread.

I believe it comes down to them not looking like a plane, and a natural concern of learning new skillz. I would want the changeover to be painless for plane people.

From a practical point I would only have to trim my wings back to the flaps, they would become the ailerons then, with no other current structure design mods.

A more modern one here btw ..
    http://www.oskbes.ru/208-e.html

10. May 5, 2017 #30

vtul

vtul

vtul

Just wondering with low area, low aspect ratio wing, and a small rotor disk, what are the dead stick characteristics? Too slow and the wing stalls, too fast and what's happening with the rotor? Also autogyros can autorotate power-out to a short landing distance and survive, but it seems like the wing of this new idea would be non-functional in that condition.

The old winged autogyros had small high aspect ratio wings, and sizable rotors.

11. May 5, 2017 #31

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

12. May 5, 2017 #32

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

My understanding is that the tractor is far more difficult to accidentally "bunt over" which is a big plus in my opinion.

The open pusher configuration seems more "fun", and is typically simpler. Think Gyrobee and the Hornet gyro. The big expenses are the wing(blade), the head, and the motor all of which are typically purchased. Everything else goes together pretty fast. The end result is that there is a big cash outlay up front vs over time with building a traditional aircraft.

Another problem is instruction. Very few gyro instructors out there.

13. May 5, 2017 #33

vtul

vtul

vtul

I remember reading about the big issue of PIO during gyro training. Now that multirotors are routinely using fly by wire digital stabilization, maybe gyros could also benefit.

14. May 5, 2017 #34

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yes, point was it's not selling either.

Sure, but think of how many open cockpit planes sell today, yup, just about none. Romantic, but the modern person wants to be comfortable, that's just a fact.

Simple tilting heads I can make myself, still not sure about blades. I can extrude the standardised sizes they use no problem, under 8"/200mm dirt cheap, but I might have trouble if it needs to be better than the 6061T6 I can do locally.

One of the primary reasons I want to keep it as a plane with standardised plane controls, as I mentioned above. Pilots get in and just fly it as a plane. Think of the rotor purely as an additional lifting device only for STOL and anti-stall.

5.2 meter gyro 2.jpg

15. May 5, 2017 #35

vtul

vtul

vtul

I made a faux gyro model, with a wing shaped rotor, just to see what would happen. Flew quite well. Very docile. Never tried a high alpha faux autorotation landing. Maybe I should have!

test2.png

Tried videoing first flight with a homemade hatcam -- stays mostly in frame -- added here for amusement, anyway:

[video=dailymotion;x5diuva]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5diuva[/video]

cluttonfred and cheapracer like this.
  16. May 5, 2017 #36

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

The wing loading is low because the rotor is taking some, they are complimenting each other to an extent I expect.

I am being realistic, I'm not expecting the dead stop landings seen in the videos, obviously one would hope for halfway between the 2, very slow short landings.

This is not a short coupled gyrocopter using rotor control, this is a proper length plane using a HS for pitch.

17. May 5, 2017 #37

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Awesome!

No sunburn either!

18. May 5, 2017 #38

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

"Very cool" and "brrrrrr" at the same time. ;-p

19. May 5, 2017 #39

vtul

vtul

vtul

Ooops, I meant rotor shaped wing, not a wing shaped rotor.....uhhhhh....

nevertheless......

Thanks guys! It was a momentary aberration, but it did actually fly

20. May 6, 2017 #40

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Gyros never fly just like a plane. The biggest learning factor is rotor control , after that they fly but not much like a plane.