Quantcast

Work rules / practices

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We get enough Amazon boxes that we have a steady supply. Plus, they aren't soaked with pizza grease ;)
Before the owner died and the grass strip was closed I would call for delivery pizza and have it delivered to the grass field 8 mile west of my strip, fly over for the pizza run and meet the pizza van at the end of the grass runway. Everyone that got in my Falconar F-12 said it smelled like pizza for some reason.

Tiger Tim

Before the owner died and the grass strip was closed I would call for delivery pizza and have it delivered to the grass field 8 mile west of my strip, fly over for the pizza run and meet the pizza van at the end of the grass runway. Everyone that got in my Falconar F-12 said it smelled like pizza for some reason.
Nice. My least believable (and therefore favourite) story was the time when I delivered a big bowl of chilli to a fellow's front door in a Tiger Moth. Luckily the plane didn't smell like chilli after.

autoreply

Agree.

Smart phones have almost unlimited photo storage capacity and they take really high resolution photos. I'm recognizing more and more opportunities to use them. As an example, yesterday I replaced the front suspension bushings on a golf cart that we use to get around the airpark. I wasn't certain of the model year, so, using the built-in flash, I took a high reolution photo of the suspension. At the parts store, when asked the year, I showed the service man the photo, and he recognized the model year. A few months age, before starting to disconnect wires to trouble-shoot a microwave oven, a few quick photos documented the connections without error. I also use it to look under and behind instrument panels, and as a flashlight. It truely is a modern "multi tool."

What other uses have HBAers found for smart phones?

Favorite apps?

Examples: Flashlight with variable intensity, ForeFlight iPad back-up, Airport Courtesy Cars, Weather, telephone through headset via Bluetooth

BJC
Audio visualizer. Instant determination of rpm's and eigenfrequencies.

I picture notes and video testresults while talking. Beats writing every detail down.

Reactions: BJC

Swampyankee

Stop when you're getting tired and losing focus, as that's when accidents happen, such as the sort where you get the weld wrong or slice off fingers with the sheet metal shear.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Tip of the week: Keep track of how much resin is left in the refrigerator, and reorder on a timely basis.

BJC

Rosco

I have not got to the aeroplane construction bit yet but have built a lot of experimental machines,usually agricultural, and there is one thing I stand by,if you are having a problem with something then just walk away. For ten minutes or an hour or even over night,the ideas come easily with fresh eyes. Cheers

BJC

HBA Supporter
Repurposed tool: I use a crochet needle to determine, from one side, the optimum fastener grip through laminates / cores. I insert it, hook the opposite face, mark the front face with my thumb or a marker pen, withdraw it and either measure it or compare it to the grip of the fastener that I think is optimum. A bent piece of heavy safety wire works too, but the handle of the crochet hook is easier to handle.

BJC

Swampyankee

When I was operating a stamping press for a summer job (a friend of my father's was the manager, and only year 'round, full-time employee), the boss told me to walk away for a couple of minutes when was getting tired. Blood is corrosive and hard to get off the machines ;)

Less flippantly, fatigue causes people to be much more error prone, and, in the battle of fingers vs stamping press, the fingers lose. No sane manager wants employees maimed, and will make serious efforts to prevent it.

Another thing is to make sure everything is light enough to move with available equipment, and to make sure that any lifting is done with attention to one's back.

(as a rather gruesome aside, I once worked with somebody in the aero industry who had the same two fingers cut off and reattached twice after accidents with power tools. He said he surgeon was not happy with him)

pictsidhe

I write lists on walls. Things to do, things to buy. When I leave the room, I take a pic of the supplies list either because I'm going for supplies, or I might. When I run out of wall, bits of paper or card go up. Occasionally, I get really organised and hang a large pad of paper up. I always shop from my phone though, I usually have it with me. Bits of paper escape from pockets. I have a particularly hard time losing a wall.

Rosco

Quick tip how to make note pads. Recycle office paper,make a stack and screw two strips of ply across the middle and cut across with radial arm and end up with two pads.