Quantcast

Work rules / practices

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

If you think searching your workspace for a tool that is in your hand is bad, let me tell you about my mother in law.
She has, on numerous occasions, asked if someone had seen her glasses. She now recognises a resultant eye roll as meaning 'right in front of your eyes'.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I have rubber pads on the floor in part or my shop, and garage sale rugs in other areas. They make it easier on my legs and they make the acoustics for listening to the radio much better. The down side is that the rugs make it harder to clean, especially after working with thin SS sheet that produces lots of sharp chips and slivers. Bad to track into the house on the soles of shoes, worse to stick into bare feet, and unacceptable for dog pads.

The wet / dry Rigid shop vac has good suction, but the fittings that come with it are useless on the carpet, and sweeping doesn't work well either. Last week, my wife bought a new vacuum cleaner for the house, and put the old one with the pile of goods to be donated to Goodwill. On a whim, I tried it on the stainless steel mess in the workshop, and it was very effective.

The shop vac has its place, but the old house vac is now my go-to for cleaning metal filings, chips and slivers.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Leaf blower works good for cleanup. It's about a Cat 4. Gets everything, mice, dogs, cats, snakes, parts...
That is how I clean my hanger especially after cutting the grass in front of the hanger and some dumb a** like me swings the tail wheel around in front of the open hanger and blows about 5 bushel of grass clipping into the hanger. Like you said, easy to find all the nuts and bolts and tools that you have dropped and couldn't find.

Rockiedog2

For my son's presolo manual we used the 1943 version of the Army Air Corps elementary flight maneuvers manual. Pops, it says in there "don't turn the plane so it blows dirt in the hangar" or to that effect. Maybe I should send you a copy LOL.
It's a beautiful manual; cartoon simple by today's standards. And it's in decent shape. It was JB's...an heirloom.
So we had a 46(?) J5 and a 43 manual to start on. what a lucky kid. I got his B-17 manual too.

IMG_5825.jpg

I despise when somebody blows on whatever...makes a man go unhumble real quick. I mindlessly blew on a fella's plane at Cedar Key one day. he went unhumble as he should have...I was mortified and ashamed. I BEGGED him to crankup and blow on my plane, PLEASE!
He wouldn't do it; just started laughing...left me hangin. Saw him at the seafood restaurant sittin with his buds; snuckup to the counter and anonymously paid for his lunch. I felt better...what a dumbass.

uhoh went OT, sorry

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
For my son's presolo manual we used the 1943 version of the Army Air Corps elementary flight maneuvers manual. Pops, it says in there "don't turn the plane so it blows dirt in the hangar" or to that effect. Maybe I should send you a copy LOL.
It's a beautiful manual; cartoon simple by today's standards. And it's in decent shape. It was JB's...an heirloom.
So we had a 46(?) J5 and a 43 manual to start on. what a lucky kid. I got his B-17 manual too.

View attachment 65512

I despise when somebody blows on whatever...makes a man go unhumble real quick. I mindlessly blew on a fella's plane at Cedar Key one day. he went unhumble as he should have...I was mortified and ashamed. I BEGGED him to crankup and blow on my plane, PLEASE!
He wouldn't do it; just started laughing...left me hangin. Saw him at the seafood restaurant sittin with his buds; snuckup to the counter and anonymously paid for his lunch. I felt better...what a dumbass.

uhoh went OT, sorry
I remember reading that manual, but now I tend to wake up in a new world every day so I would have to read it again every morning. :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
Work rule #289: Spackling compound is not an adequate substitute for Bondo for making a one-off male mold for an oil cooler air inlet hood.

BJC
Pictures or it didn't happen. Lol
Perhaps in a few days, we are away right now.

BJC
Here it is re-done with Bondo, which is what I should have used the first time. The price of Bondo has really gone up over the past few years.

View attachment 58426View attachment 58428View attachment 58427

BJC
Are we still waiting?
Apparently, my iphone was so ashamed of the mess that I made with the spackling compound that it refused to take a photograph. I think that that is why they are referred to as "smart phones."

See above, though, for photos of what did work.

BJC

Swampyankee

Apparently, my iphone was so ashamed of the mess that I made with the spackling compound that it refused to take a photograph. I think that that is why they are referred to as "smart phones."

See above, though, for photos of what did work.

BJC
Thanks! The end product looks great.

Reactions: BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
that looks nice BJC. real nice.

your bench is cleaner than my kitchen table. maybe even my plates.
Thanks, Joe. Easy to do, just push everything on the table out of the photo, quick dust with a brush, take photo, return to normal.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Went to see the airplane that a friend recently purchased. It was all apart, having some updates being done by another friend, an IA.

When I do a condition inspection, I use a pair of tilt-out bins with masking tape labels to keep screws, nuts, washers and other small parts in.

The IA was using a muffin tin with masking tape to ID the parts. Works well for him; I need the tilt-out bins because I would bump the muffin tin and scatter the parts.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
I suppose the latter is my tip - A place for everything and everything in its place.
Clean and orderly work place, whether a table or the whole shop.
... an old adage from small-boat travelers; “a place for everything and everything in its place…” ... when I violate my method is when I can’t find the tool I just laid down, or the bag of cotter-keys I just at shipped in, paying the overnight rate… orderliness is fundamental, and then have the discipline to not violate it…
I understand and agree with the comments above. The Glasair kit contains more than a dozen plastic small parts containers. To easily find the part I need, I use wire closet shelving, mounted upside down, at an angle, so I can quickly find the item I need. I also find it easier for me to keep track of larger kit parts by putting them into plastic storage bins of various sizes. See below for what works for me.

A38F649C-C725-4DB5-B1E1-5F30EF1F93ED.jpg

BJC

pictsidhe

Horror fright often has FWP magnetic parts trays. These are awesome for small parts, you can bump them without spraying stuff everywhere.

If I am interrupted during a job, I often leave short a note. Eg, drain the oil but not refilling is an invisible catastrophe waiting to happen and gets an 'oil' note...

Tiger Tim

Help out some of us amateurs with work rules and practices that you follow to minimize mistakes and to work efficiently.
I now believe that if the right tool for the job is in another room but a tool that can probably be made to work is within arms reach, it’s always worth that trip to the other room.

I didn’t always think this way and can show you the scars to prove it.

gtae07

I now believe that if the right tool for the job is in another room but a tool that can probably be made to work is within arms reach, it’s always worth that trip to the other room.

I didn’t always think this way and can show you the scars to prove it.
And even knowing that, it's so hard to force yourself to stop and get it, sometimes...

Latest posts