• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic.Sheep

Hello, I'm currently building a scale model from scratch and I've got some plans that I'm working of, problem being, it was hand drawn. Having CAD'd it all up and created an assembly, I've got the piece ?extremeties? not quite matching up. I've done my best with some creative editing based on nothing other than geometries that actually stack up, however I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on the matter. I'm obviously not in a position to do wind tunnel testing or anything complex like that nor is a model worthwhile to have such tests done on unless it's going to be scaled up to a full sized production version (which it's not) so at the end of the day, it's merely a question of how one might go about getting the best result given that the only geometries that make sense would create quite strange intermittent parts.

Obviously every wing is different, I've got VERY limited experience with aerostructure design and have only previously delved into one other wing design from a rather general overview perspective whereby the root was one particular airfoil type and the tip was another and simply assumed a linear interpolation between the two (no aerodynamic testing was carried out, was just looking into details on how to recreate a particular wing), however I haven't looked into such details for this wing but am just worried that given my already existing creative accounting on a lot of the parts, these final edits will be the nail in the coffin so to speak. I know it's just a model, but I would like to learn from this experience and simply doing it the way I've done it up to now does not satisfy me in terms of being happy with the final result. I can certainly simply finish it and then see how it flies, but I'd rather hear some input and as I said learn something.

Back