• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Windshield thickness for high speed bird strikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starman

Hawker%20Hunter%20F_58A.jpg

I was looking for examples of different kinds of windshields that have the flat surface in front like this one does. Three reasons, one is that I want to make the canopy out of flat wrap pieces if possible and still have it be streamlined, the frames will provide the roll over structure, but the main one is to be able to withstand bird strikes at high speeds so the front piece needs to be thick.

Lets say we were diving down some canyon in the mountains in our slippery and heavy airplane when all of her sudden we run into bigbird at 400mph, or 500, or maybe more. What kind of windshield do you think it would take to withstand the bird strike?

I guess the fighter planes that use the method use thick bulletproof glass, I don't know how thick but I was thinking something like 3/4" thick lexan in the front flat part would be good but I would feel better with 1" Lexan. The piece I envision wouldn't really be that big, and it will be more like a fuller oval than the one in the picture. I've seen them but couldn't find a picture.

What materials and thickness would you recommend?

Last edited:
Back