Why not roadable aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Himat, Jan 26, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 28, 2014 #801

Holden

Holden

Holden

Banned

Henry,

Notice at time point 1:25 the guy says "takeoff and land from your nearest main road." Gee, I wonder where I've heard that before???

Holden

2. Jun 28, 2014 #802

henryk

henryk

henryk

3. Jun 29, 2014 #803

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

I can't open the #1 you tube but it seems to be the Aeromobil --in which case hardly 'fully sucessful'- as we have already discussed at length -the second you tube must be the very short span Russian one (SIGMA 4 ??) that is somehow dependent on the oscillating wing for high lift if I recall . We should not count our chickens until they hatch ...

"Takeoff and land from nearest main road" - was that heard at the asylum perhaps ? ;) Check U tube for Moscow traffic jams ( I think it was near the top of world's worst cities for traffic congestion) --PERHAPS SIDE streets are sufficiently untrafficked to allow transitioning to and from the air but really only when above the surface and local obstacles using **** (censored) (think of a remote Pacific island in a ring shape for a clue...)

4. Jun 29, 2014 #804

henryk

henryk

henryk

5. Jun 29, 2014 #805

henryk

henryk

henryk

6. Jun 30, 2014 #806

henryk

henryk

henryk

7. Jul 1, 2014 #807

henryk

henryk

henryk

8. Mar 29, 2016 #808

henryk

henryk

henryk

9. Mar 30, 2016 #809

saini flyer

saini flyer

saini flyer

10. Mar 30, 2016 #810

henryk

henryk

henryk

11. Mar 30, 2016 #811

henryk

henryk

henryk

Media

=polish construction...

Wi

=another,motorised.

12. Aug 26, 2016 #812

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

oriol likes this.
  13. Aug 27, 2016 #813

lurker

lurker

lurker

what's that thing in your avatar?

14. Mar 13, 2017 #814

spacegravity4me

spacegravity4me

spacegravity4me

Re: Another flying car concept

I haven't been here in ages, but I'll say this since this is a subject very near and dear to my heart. I've always dreamed of having a flying car and I've even gone so far as getting the education required to build one, but what I've realized is that I don't want everyone to have a flying car, I just want to have one. In every fantasy I have ever had about it I was alone hovering and flying away from the world. That is the point after all isn't it, to escape? Life has a way of being extremely inconvenient and inversely impractical to our dreams. People always say that if flying cars were a thing then your average joe would have to be restricted from flying it by hand and they'd have to be responsible enough to take care of it, etc. Right there you've ruined the dream cause I'm not the average joe, I'm the guy who's been dreaming of this stuff since I was 8 and saw back to the future 2, and what you are saying is that in order for me to have my own personal dream come true I have to comprise it's design by catering to the masses. I don't want a drone pod that I have no control over and I don't want to be forced to use one just because most people are reckless morons. I won't be surprised if one day all forms of transportation are legally limited to autonomous use only. People talk of it everyday on tech blogs, how in the future driving by hand will be illegal in the name of safety. Of course we all no it isn't really safety, it's idiots. You can't account for what everyone will do you dumb the system down for the weakest link. Love driving miata by hand through canyon roads? Too bad. Love flying your ultralight or plane through the sky? Too bad. Sure some of this sounds selfish, but I'm okay with that because I don't like the feeling of knowing my dreams can't be realized due to everyone else wanting to do the same thing. I think that's a fair trade off. Let's face it, we have the technology for flying cars and roadable aircraft but are severely limited by archaic laws that can't keep up with innovation. I really doesn't take much to make a roadable aircraft. There are COUNTLESS examples that you could build and drive/fly already, they just aren't enough for every person to use and you know what, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we should be more selfish with our dreams because I don't think the people that would take personal flight for granted deserve it. I could go buy a scooter, strap 6 electric drone props to the back, load it all under a parachute and fly around town if I wanted. The problem is getting the permission to do it. Personally I think it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission but we all know how that would end. Nevertheless, I really do believe that roadable aircraft/flying cars are at least part of the future. When you combine drones with enhanced automation systems and better battery life and keep it all charged with a hybrid power system like a small gas motor it's pretty obvious. It's coming. Look at what boeing and airbus are doing. Uber and google too. They all want automated vtol transport systems. This leaves us with two types of "flying cars". The roadables you can pilot yourself (aeromobile, palv1, the plane driven PD2 (a real FU to practicality, I love it), terrafugia transition) and the more drone like electric/hybrid electric automated vtol systems that can be used in cities (ehang 184, boeing, uber, google, etc). Personally I'd like to design a combination of the two types but I doubt if the world would ever let me use it. I could be wrong, that'd be great. I know one thing though, I'm building something lol. Even if it's just a weird "flying car" that I design, build, and use for myself, I'm doing it. I'm not gonna wait around and let the world one day charge me to use my dream, you know what I mean? That would just suck. Anyway... um, I apologize for sounding like a stuck up, bitter, flying car hipster. This is just kinda my thing I'm having a hard time right now.

15. Mar 13, 2017 #815

delta

delta

delta

It's nice to hear your passion for something I also hold dear. Hard times is like the weather in Oklahoma... you don't have to wait to long for it to change.
    I've been leaning towards something under 96" wide and trike gear. Someone's going to figure it out some day, and it sounds like you've got a better chance than me.
    Best of luck to you... and keep us in the loop.

Rick

spacegravity4me likes this.
  16. Mar 13, 2017 #816

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

No rules stopping Homebuilt.
    Companies like Terrafugia and ICON could sell kits... IF they really wanted to sell anything but dreams.

17. Mar 13, 2017 #817

henryk

henryk

henryk