Why not roadable aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
No explanation. I can only speculate that perhaps those are to keep other vehicles at a distance to prevent parking lot road rash.
I can not make out any wheels. Could these be a wheel substitute?

Please let us know when you find out more.

=wing incidance is +12 deg. ,and -30 degreas flaps for take off...

-I was asking about small car modell with strange rotors autside wheels.

http://www.gulf-times.com/NewsImages//2014/1/19/c33292bb-e422-4d33-817d-7de795922e5b.jpg
Im pretty sure they are actually props using the same concept that tugboats use... the Voith Schneider propeller (VSP)...

Voith Schneider Propeller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His simply retract into the hubs. Not a bad idea, but it can be simplified.

Sockmonkey

While Voith Schnider props are pretty nifty, they do have quite a few parts that have to move back and forth with each revolution. At air prop speeds I think the forces and wear on them would be pretty horrendous.

Aircar

Banned
I cannot open the links but recall the strange things sprouting from the wheel hubs and commented on them way back (they look like the things that sometimes appear on the ends of the legs of a roast turkey where the feet used to be ..) Cycloidal propellers are a possibility but unlikely --if limited to the wheel RPM they would be grossly inadequate at that size . Cycloidal rotors (making LIFT and thrust) are even less practical but tried on several roadables --to make thrust only would be more feasible . Anyone recall the wheel hubs 'slicers' used in the chariot race in Ben Hur? (Only because it was replayed recently that I do --maybe they could 'protect' against other road users in this fashion :gig: It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this roadable --it needs a lot more cockpit depth to give adequate road vision for one thing and other more basic flaws not so easily solved. I guess that a roadable aircraft has a not dissimilar evolutionary problem to the development of a working eye - until nearly ALL the requisite functions and component parts are in place together the whole thing is next to useless (Darwin's dilemma ) But WHEN they are all present and correct -everything changes for the better, very greatly.