Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PMD

Your comments implied that the holes were on the order of 200 miles apart. Something tells me that, no matter how skinny your yard is, it doesn't extend 18 X 200 miles. ;-)
I should mention that the most range challenged vehicle in our fleet is my wife's Q7 diesel - only goes 600 or so miles on the highway at illegal speeds. To me, a vehicle is useless if I can't drive a full day without stopping (by that, I mean at least 12 hours). Some of my trucks are good for 2 full days. I like my airplanes to do something similar with AT LEAST 800 miles between fuel stops. 200 miles (under ideal conditions, not even close to that for an EV at our winter temps) is a grocery run.

lr27

PMD: That's not healthy. I hope you take an aspirin before sitting 12 hours straight. You could get a dangerous blood clot.

I suspect it will be quite some time before cars for people with superhuman bladders are no longer available.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Yes, a lot of people in fly-over county in the 30's were still using horses and wagons or buggies. My Grandfather was one. Died in 1959 and never drove an auto in his life. Always went in his horse and buggie. We had a mailman that rode a horse until about 1950, then he got a WW-2 surplus jeep. Remember, gasoline was rationed in WW-2 at 5 gal a week. Lot of people had to park their autos and go back to the horse to get to town. I remember shortly after WW-2 going to the closest town over 20 miles away and there was more horses and wagons and buggies than autos.

Today if people just could buy 5 gal of gasoline a week. They would lose it.
Looking forward to the book Pops. You going to do kindle, or can I get a signed copy?

PMD

PMD: That's not healthy. I hope you take an aspirin before sitting 12 hours straight. You could get a dangerous blood clot.

I suspect it will be quite some time before cars for people with superhuman bladders are no longer available.
Before kids, my wife could to three tanks of AA5B at WOT without seeking refuge. We are in our 70s now (just) and as you point out, have started to think twice about 13 hour days (legal in Canada), but in the big trucks, we are required to get out for 1/2 hour break by HOS laws. In the cars, we aim for 12 hours, but will usually get out to stretch and..well, you know... somewhere in the middle.

Pops

Log Member
When I was flying for a living, flying 10/12 hrs a day was normal. One week I flew 76 hrs. Stopping every 4 hrs for fuel and a bathroom break is what I like.

Pops

Log Member
Well, my yard IS 72 acres - and we don't plow it with an electric crawler nor cut it with an electric mower.

I live in a county with 5717 people and no stop light. Live beside 22000 acres of pulp wood country. Getting to many people for me. Looking for a place more away from people. My daughter found a place last March. On a mountain ridge, off grid, private road behind a locked gate, free NG from 2 different wells, good water well. Large solar system and a large and small NG generators for all the electric she wants. No utility bills. No mortgage. House built in 2012.
If you can hear your neighbors coon dog barking a nighttime, time to move.

PMD

We have a corporate cabin on top of the Bighorns at my WY office, not just off grid but not even accessible without some pretty capable transportation and determined effort. I like to escape the world once in a while, but can't do it permanently.

Next (last) home for us is close to eldest daughter with 4 kids that spend a lot of time with us, thus need to be in easy reach. We can see one neighbour from building site, but surrounded by cow/calf operation that is lifetime friend of a longtime friend of ours (who is 1/4 mile West of us). Wife insists on being able to hear his cattle and goats in the morning.

Have a lot of heavy equipment and tools so need the primary (gravel) road, 3 phase power, piped in gas and water as well as communication links, so need to be close to city, but we are in a place well protected from development.

lr27

As a teenager, we lived near to a farm with bad fences. It can take 3 people and a big dog to chase off a herd of 13 pigs.

John.Roo

Sport electric aviation has only one problem - price of batteries.
I am not here to convince pilots to fly with electric airplanes. I just see reality.
Most of experienced pilots are conservative. They must have range of 1 000 miles even if 99% of their flights is 30-60 minutes long to have coffee with friends on neighboring airfield. But they mostly don´t think about new generation.
There is increasing amount of young people with an interest in the environment.
Their way of thinking is different - they don´t want to "burn fuel" for fun.
Before I didn´t understood owners of electric cars. Why to have limited range? Why to be "stressed" to switch on air condition of heating?
But when you speak with e-car owners you will find out that they are normal and their arguments why to have electric cars are logical.
Example of argument - range is of e-car is lower. Their answer - OK, but every morning I have my car "fully re-fueled" in my garage. No need to visit fuel station in next 200 (300...) miles. Etc.
There as a lot of space on roads and in the air so both propulsion systems can drive and fly in symbiosis. Do you want to burn 30 lit. of AVGAS when you fly solo just "arround your chimney" for fun? Do it :) Do you want to use for your hobby only solar (water, wind...) energy? You can. Actually with range and endurance limitations in compare with IC engines, but you can.
It is up to every pilot do decide and discussion why is this or that propulsion system bad (in-efficient, not ecological etc.) is not necessary.
My wish?
I would love to have endurance of 10 hours and range over 1 000 miles with my electric airplane, but dear producers pls. first try to produce batteries cheaper :)

Group Builder