Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

He does seem to be sticking to the facts, though I think mentioning the issues of earlier electric cars isn't relevant except as a way of showing the progress we've made. He should have talked about how electric cars, with far more efficient motors, don't need as much energy to make them go, especially with regenerative braking. So batteries don't have to be as good as gasoline to compete. Also, he should have discussed hybrids, which are just as convenient as regular cars.

A potential feature of electric cars that I don't hear discussed much is that you can put the weight of the batteries very low. This could be great for handling or allow a narrower vehicle.

On an airplane, of course, it's far more difficult unless it's a self launching sailplane. Maybe there we'll see hydrogen or synthetic fuels made using excess electrical generation capacity from renewable sources on windy or sunny days. And maybe we'll see fuel cells which can power little electric motors in advantageous spots all over the airplane as per NASA research.

dog

Gas engines ARE dead, a tesla SEDAN will take just about anything but a top fuel dragster at the lights.
Same with electric bikes,nothing that burns fuel can stay with one.
An academic discusion of the energy density of varios storage types is of course still valid,though
the rate at which newer more modern energy storage means are advancing tells the tale to come,and that soon.
"The future is here now,its just not evenly distributed"

ToddK

HBA Supporter
It's so funny to me when something is declared dead. Horse and carriages are dead! Yet new horses and carriages are still made. Gas engines are dead! Yet gas engines are pouring out of factories (in increasing numbers) every day. Will there not be gas engines some day? I would not bet on it. But by that way of thinking, we are all already dead, since some day in the future, we will not be around. Right now electric airplanes are crazy expensive toys at best and scams at worst. It will be a very long time before they exist in the GA fleet in any significant numbers. Probably not in the lifetime of many of the people on this forum. Electric aviation is not yet a zygote.

TFF

People really get excited about new. Doesn’t matter if it’s going to be pedestrian. Reality it electric cars are just the toaster, dishwasher, or Quartz watch of consumers of the 21st century. The watch is the best example. The first Quartz watch was $30,000. In five years they were under 100. The question comes, do you just need to know the time or do you enjoy the time piece too?

Tesla gives away a lot of range with its acceleration because people are stupid and fall for it. I can drive around with 4:11 gears with a gas engine.

The people in the end with the gas engines will be the haves. Electric will be the have nots. Gas will be free to go as they please. Electric will have government governors on them where you can’t go down certain roads can’t go certain speeds. The haves can pop the hood and see multi valve multi cylinder works of mechanical art. Have nots have a washing machine motor. The outside will fit the inside. Isn’t there a Rush song about this?

TFF

I would also expect the commodity of electricity will have new rules; because if there is money to be made, someone will change the rules so it can happen.

dog

Probably not in the lifetime of many of the people on this forum. Electric aviation is not yet a zygote

Respectfuly,no.
The very first controled flight in the world was made by "LaFrance"electric powered(LTA),august, 9,1884.
9hp,23 ft prop,total power plant(w/batterys)weight
1890lbs.
La France is then the"progenitor" and it is up to the fitness of the type in the technological ecosystem to determine which will have decendents.

dog

So 136 years later they are still trying to get it done. What does that tell you?
They got it done.
The very first completed flight plan
was done with electrical power.
Now it is a daily occurance with dozens of companys working to certify and comercialize electrical powered flying.
My prediction is that somebody soon is going to set time to climb records with an electric powered propeller driven aircraft that will outstrip anything
burning gas and only fall short of military jets.

Dan Thomas

They got it done.
Now it is a daily occurance with dozens of companys working to certify and comercialize electrical powered flying.
My prediction is that somebody soon is going to set time to climb records with an electric powered propeller driven aircraft that will outstrip anything
And we will all be here waiting patiently. And if it doesn't happen soon we will remind you of it.

And that LaFrance electric flight? That was an airship, a lighter-than air machine, not a heavier-than-air craft like the stuff we fly, and so the electric power did not lift the machine or provide forward motion to generate lift. Hydrogen lifted it. The electric motor simply propelled it forward. A human or two could have done the same. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_France_(airship)

Physics is really inconvenient. It makes no allowance for wishful thinking or ignorance. As Orion used to say, "What you believe or do not believe does not change the facts."

pictsidhe

600hp for 2 minutes (think of a certain rotary Harmon Rocket) would need somewhere around 250kg of high drain LiPos. Better increase the power and battery pack to compensate...

Bill-Higdon

And we will all be here waiting patiently. And if it doesn't happen soon we will remind you of it.

And that LaFrance electric flight? That was an airship, a lighter-than air machine, not a heavier-than-air craft like the stuff we fly, and so the electric power did not lift the machine or provide forward motion to generate lift. Hydrogen lifted it. The electric motor simply propelled it forward. A human or two could have done the same. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_France_(airship)

Physics is really inconvenient. It makes no allowance for wishful thinking or ignorance. As Orion used to say, "What you believe or do not believe does not change the facts."
:bow::bow:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
My prediction is that somebody soon is going to set time to climb records with an electric powered propeller driven aircraft that will outstrip anything burning gas and only fall short of military jets.
This is probably true because it can be done with minimal energy, just one quick burst. Air Race E is a perfect example, 5 short laps per race is readily doable with electric.
The rest of us prefer to have enough range to go places without an enormous extension lead dragging behind us.

Toobuilder

Log Member
They got it done.
Can't wait! I need to go 1000 NM in 5 hours or less, with a payload of 400 pounds. Let me know where to buy this capability.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I suspect a future bottle neck on the world's supply of lithium, cobalt and nickel, will moderate the transition from internal combustion to EV. Wonder if some future Greta Thunberg may be reading up on lithium and cobalt mines in "developing countries" even now. Maybe hydrogen fuel cell technology can improve to point it overtakes lithium battery technology. But, I'm betting I'll be able to get full use out of my IO-360. The question is will it still be burning 100LL?

dog

Was stated as LTA in the first mention,the fact is that electric flight is viable now,limited missions
granted.There are deap pockets working on electric
turbine hybrids for regional comuter planes and the same thinking applies to light aircraft.

Phisics is always fun.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Doesn’t this thread deserve to be in “hangar flying” rather than “new technology”?

“The first completed flight plan ...”, “viable now ...”, “La France is the ‘progenitor’, and it is up to the fitness of the type in the technological system to determine which will have descendants” do not impress me as new technology subjects.

BJC

dog

Doesn’t this thread deserve to be in “hangar flying” rather than “new technology”?

“The first completed flight plan ...”, “viable now ...”, “La France is the ‘progenitor’, and it is up to the fitness of the type in the technological system to determine which will have descendants” do not impress me as new technology subjects.

BJC

The category is not "new technology" but in fact
it is electric propulsion,which makes the discusion
of LA FRANCE totaly relevant.
Various shrill denouncements of electric propulsion and the introduction of Gretta are questionable though.