Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dog

All batteries produce electricity by converting chemicals from one to another. Some of those processes are reversible, and those are rechargeable batteries. In a lead-acid battery, for instance, lead and lead peroxide plates are immersed in sulfuric acid and react to produce lead sulfate on both plates, the acid turns to water, and electrons are given off. Once the acid is sufficiently weakened and the plates are all sulfated, that battery i

Snip,snip,old hat.

Leaving out mechanical storage,water resivoirs and flywheels,etc.Solid state batteries are the first non chemical energy storage.Limits unknown at present,but very very promising,certainly good for
millions of charge/discharge cycles

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Fuels combine with free oxygen in the air so no need to carry oxygen weight as in the battery.
Carbon burns to CO2, so twice as much weight in that oxygen is not carried in the fuel tank.
Hydrogen burns with one oxygen to make H2O.

dog

Fuels combine with free oxygen in the air so no need to carry oxygen weight as in the battery.
Carbon burns to CO2, so twice as much weight in that oxygen is not carried in the fuel tank.
Now thats the kind of grit I like.
And that helps explain why there are so many people working on,
lithium/air and aluminum/air batteries.
Solid state ("capacitor") batteries skip all that and
just store the electrons ready to use.No air needed.
Mix that with photo voltaic panels and its an energy
generation,and strorage system that is completely
solid state.The proven reliabilty and longjevity is very good, weight and energy density isnt currently
competitive for aviation ,as of earlier today.

cheapracer

Log Member
Oh yeah, just great, burn hydrogen and then you end up with dihydrogen monoxide everywhere, in our oceans, our rivers, our drinking water, is it really something you want to be showering in?

They don't tell you about that side of it do they.

Electric vehicles are here and will only increase in number in the future. Please enjoy them if you like, just don’t continue to try to convince us that they’re a better option than ICE vehicles.
?? No one is, but since you asked, EVs are FAR superior city vehicles, from no vibration, smooth, quiet, no sore knees from braking (and clutch in and out changing gears in manuals) all the time (regen braking does 80% of it), no spewing dirty air into children's lungs walking past (Won't anybody think of the children!), massive instant torque to accelerate smoothly up hills from red lights and parking ramps, no needing to line up at city gas stations ...

Sure, I'll take an ICE anytime out in the country and for trips, but cities, nope, EVs walk all over ICE, and tjust the facts.

Dan Thomas

Now thats the kind of grit I like.
And that helps explain why there are so many people working on,
lithium/air and aluminum/air batteries.
Solid state ("capacitor") batteries skip all that and
just store the electrons ready to use.No air needed.
Mix that with photo voltaic panels and its an energy
generation,and strorage system that is completely
solid state.The proven reliabilty and longjevity is very good, weight and energy density isnt currently
competitive for aviation ,as of earlier today.
Solid state batteries are not capacitors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_battery

PMD

EVs are FAR superior city vehicles, from no vibration, smooth, quiet, no sore knees from braking (and clutch in and out changing gears in manuals) all the time (regen braking does 80% of it), no spewing dirty air into children's lungs walking past (Won't anybody think of the children!), massive instant torque to accelerate smoothly up hills from red lights and parking ramps, no needing to line up at city gas stations ...

Sure, I'll take an ICE anytime out in the country and for trips, but cities, nope, EVs walk all over ICE, and tjust the facts.

PMD

While I am vehemently anti EV, I agree that it makes sense to use a golf cart around cities...but I am even more vehemently anti city - at least the way we do them today. IMHO, the real issues is that we piddle away time, resources and cash galore trying to devise multiple ways of continuing to do the incredibly wasteful and unsustainable things we do to continue this lifestyle instead of figuring out how to do a lot less. Building cities that need hundreds of millions of personal transportation devices to function is at the top of that list.

Another EV issue: since they can't do much other than take you from the 18th hole to the 19th, it means you need a second vehicle. I doubt there is anyone on this site that would care either way, but for a very large part of the world's population even having one car/truck is a pretty big deal. Many of those people are not at all well served by adequate and reliable electric infrastructure.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
The Tesla range is adequate for most. The issue for adoption of electric automotive isn't battery weight because trips are short, as Cheapracer said.
The real issue is battery cost. If only the top 1% adopt electric cars because of cost it will not be a solution to any perceived problem from fossil fuels.
Another issue is rare earth mining. Very limited supply, it is not in any sense more "sustainable" than anything else. Perhaps much worse supply.

pictsidhe

Not all cities are built the American way. Europe is pretty good at public transport. Some countries to the point where it is frequently easier and cheaper on short AND long trips than a car. II believe that China is the same way. I found the Netherlands particularly impressive.
I have a car for commuting, shopping and long trips and a ratty old truck for when I want to move something big and heavy. I was pondering a small EV for commuting, until I'd had my car a month. On a weekly basis, some fucking bastard will deliberately drive their tank AT my small car. That doesn't happen in my truck or bigger cars.

lr27

That sounds like the treatment I get when I ride my bike, though in that case blind drivers are even more of a problem. Small cars are common here.

PMD:
You must live on the world's most ENORMOUS golf course.

People who are REALLY serious about energy conservation should probably live in a big apartment building in NYC.

PMD

I was pondering a small EV for commuting, until I'd had my car a month. On a weekly basis, some fucking bastard will deliberately drive their tank AT my small car. That doesn't happen in my truck or bigger cars.
That was you? Sorry. I must have been on the phone.

Last edited:

lr27

Your comments implied that the holes were on the order of 200 miles apart. Something tells me that, no matter how skinny your yard is, it doesn't extend 18 X 200 miles. ;-)

Sounds like you have an airstrip, not a yard.

I'll admit to using a gas snowblower, though our mower is electric. One of these days I should get something better than a gel cell for the mower. If I was ambitious, and I converted the blower to electric, I wonder how long it would run on 50 or 100 lbs of batteries? I suppose a 150 or 200 foot, 220 volt extension cord wouldn't be practical.

pictsidhe

That was you? Sorry. I must have been on the phone.
Not accidentally, I get more than plenty of that too. Deliberately driving at me.

Put it this way. If I ever feel like I want someone else to buy me a new car, I just need a dashcam and to be a little tardy with my evasive manoeuvres. They'll get a nice ticket, too. Swerving at me while sounding their horn isn't going to look good in court.

PMD

Sounds like you have an airstrip, not a yard.
I was tempted, but the North 40 is unbroken land with native grasses, so we will just continue to graze that. The South side is a bit short unless I some day get an ultra high perf STOL machine. My buddy has a 3000' grass strip (CRF5) just 2 miles by road (1.2 as the crow or STOL flies) from me, so would be excessive unless I get really silly.

cheapracer

Log Member
Another EV issue: since they can't do much other than take you from the 18th hole to the 19th, it means you need a second vehicle.
Many of those people are not at all well served by adequate and reliable electric infrastructure.
What a load of absolute uninformed rubbish.