Quantcast

Who here has no need/intention to add ADS-B OUT?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
I really don't need it, and I don't plan on flying to places where it will be required. So I have, for the foreseeable future, decided that ADS-B OUT is a non-issue for me.

Anyone else (BESIDES THE NO ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FOLKS) have this same view?

I mentioned that I had no intention of add ADS-B on another forum and was surprised by how many people thought that I was missing out on some next level enlightenment. I don't see it that way. I see it as a $2k tax to fly places I will never fly to. And if I DO need it, I can add it relatively quickly.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I really don't need it, and I don't plan on flying to places where it will be required.
Certainly, if you don't need it to go where you normally go, then there's no reason to spend the $$$, and you can get "IN" very cheap.

However, depending upon what type of aircraft you fly and at what altitudes, just realize that in most places, if you're over 10k ft. MSL, you'll need it. If you never fly that high, you're golden.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Certainly, if you don't need it to go where you normally go, then there's no reason to spend the $$$, and you can get "IN" very cheap.

However, depending upon what type of aircraft you fly and at what altitudes, just realize that in most places, if you're over 10k ft. MSL, you'll need it. If you never fly that high, you're golden.
So did you install it (ie that's the question I posed). Do you fly to B/Cs or above 10k? Or in a Mode C veil?

BJC

HBA Supporter
So did you install it (ie that's the question I posed). Do you fly to B/Cs or above 10k? Or in a Mode C veil?
I added a GDL82 to my GTX327. Yes, I fly into B and C and, occasionally, above 10,000 feet.

Question: Is flight following available without ADS B Out?

BJC

gtae07

OP, weren’t you the one asking about how to equip for IFR a couple weeks ago? You’ll need it for that...

I’m just going ahead and fitting it; I expect on longer trips I’ll be going over 10,000ft at least on occasion, my most frequent destination (the airport nearest my parents) is within the Atlanta Mode C veil, and I expect I’ll be flying into many other such airports too.

Dad had to fit it because he’s based within the Mode C and flies through the Atlanta class B frequently.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
OP, weren’t you the one asking about how to equip for IFR a couple weeks ago? You’ll need it for that...

I’m just going ahead and fitting it; I expect on longer trips I’ll be going over 10,000ft at least on occasion, my most frequent destination (the airport nearest my parents) is within the Atlanta Mode C veil, and I expect I’ll be flying into many other such airports too.

Dad had to fit it because he’s based within the Mode C and flies through the Atlanta class B frequently.
There is no requirement to have ADS-B OUT for IFR.

ADS-B is required by airspace, not flight rules. So while i hope to train mostly in my own IFR AC, I will be limited as to what approaches I can do (no ILS for sure). For the test and other procedures, I will use a certified AC with the required gear.

I think most people are under the impression you NEED ADS-B. You do not, unless you fly in areas that require it. Sure, I might miss out of some traffic, but IFR flight and FF should still keep me safe, and ADS-B traffic is not real time, or even 100% accurate.

It sucks for the folks that live in the veil on under a B/C. That's $2k+ for almost no reason other than a line on a map.

I don't need it, and won't install it unless mandated. I am not anti-authority, I just have way better uses for $2k+

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
No plans to install it. If I already had a transponder (I don't) I might have installed it, but for me the cost of the transponder (plus the yearly checks) would have to be added in.

I haven't flown above 3500' in many years (except for taking my PPG to 5,280' once just because), and although I'm in the northeast none of my destinations are in ADS-B required airspace.

Question: Is flight following available without ADS B Out?
No, you only need a transponder.

BJC

HBA Supporter
No plans to install it. If I already had a transponder (I don't) I might have installed it, but for me the cost of the transponder (plus the yearly checks) would have to be added in.
My biplane is non-electrical. It does have an ASI.

Thanks, I thought so, but had not really checked.

One other ADS B Out requirement: above Class B and C airspace up to 10,000 fert.

BJC

pwood66889

I agree with pfarber - I.E., have the same view. It is not on my flying club's Ercoupe and I believe we can have just as much fun without it.
And yes, I have flown long cross-country flights with out a transponder; including in afore said club plane.
If you don't have to have it, don't buy it! Fly and enjoy the view!!
Percy in NW FL, USA

Daleandee

I really had no intention of installing ADSB but I have friends that are under the mode C veils of Charlotte & Atlanta. Didn't want to bust the regs when going to see them. Who would know? Don't matter as I try to be a law abiding citizen.

I was gifted a transponder/encoder and installed the EchoUAT unit. All up install cost was less than $1500. I like having the in/out information for traffic but I also have wig/wags, strobes that I burn when in flight, & a radio I monitor. But the main thing it to be looking out the window ...

Daleandee

Actually flight following is available without a transponder ... whether the controller will take the time to paint you with the radar and follow you is another matter ...

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I have a COZY MKIV that I fly in every airspace except Class A (just haven't had a reason to go that high yet). So yes - I installed ADS-B out in my Dynon Skyview system so that I didn't ever have to think about where I could and couldn't go, and how high I could or couldn't go again.

D Hillberg

Flight Tracking & ADS-B
So when you screw the pooch the whole world watches in real time...
Kobe had no beef as his splatter got 24/7 coverage
Rather have a better pilot who flies a better route then the latest pig lip stick

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
I would like to go visit TFF again but he’s under the MEM Class B. Also, going around a Class B in a 701 is a big deal. So yeh there’s reasons to buy one but I’m not gonna do it.

TFF

I think if one is serious about traveling, out of ones normal areas, ADSB is an asset. It is not a catch all, but knowing where traffic is when cockpit load is high is handy. I’m not a fan of ADSB per say, but it can be handy if you are not filing. It depends on where you want to go. Anyplace with civilization is probably with a C veil. If you are flying Montana to Wyoming, you don’t need it, you need a SAT phone.
Rules will slowly tighten on it. Just the way the government works. Simple planes keeps things simple.
I’m not at the airport every day, like I was but fly that little rocket of yours up once you fix the fuel. Pull the alternator out and just run a battery.

GeeZee

I put in a GDL-82 mainly to be seen by the Lyft Academy students. Lyft Academy is a flight school that operates out of Indy (Class B). They are training the next generation of Airline pilots. There are so many of them that they spread out to all the surrounding airports. Mainly all they do are practice approaches (head down most of the time). If you don’t show up on their ”fish finder” you don’t exist.

Reactions: BJC

Turd Ferguson

There is no requirement to have ADS-B OUT for IFR.

ADS-B is required by airspace, not flight rules. So while i hope to train mostly in my own IFR AC, I will be limited as to what approaches I can do (no ILS for sure). For the test and other procedures, I will use a certified AC with the required gear.
Ultimately, ADSB will only restrict you from going places you're not likely to go anyway. You will have access to C and B airports by calling the ATC facility and requesting a deviation from ADSB requirements. The only requirement is that you make the request at least 1 hr before proposed operation. Getting a deviation to land at Chicago, New York, etc. is not likely but you're not going to those places anyway. I don't think you'd have any trouble going to Pittsburg. It barely operates at Class D levels of traffic.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)

Nothing like the ole Atlanta Class B Airspace to keep you on your toes!