Who here has no need/intention to add ADS-B OUT?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
For fun flying in simple little airplanes, just install small battery for the handheld radio and GPS and go. Heck, those bigger places don't want you anyhow. Could even put a little windmill generator if you are flying slower.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
You youngsters probably don’t remember when one could fly into ATL as a VFR flight, no flight plan, and no reservation.

Didn’t need ADS B in, because of the smoke trails from the jets.

BJC

I have actually done so. I was flying with former Alabama and Green Bay Packers QB Scott Hunter into Jackson Hartzell Airport VFR in a Cessna 182 RG for the SEC Championship years ago when Florida played Arkansas.

Stacked in between 6 747's. As a junior in high school I was quite impressed.

I recall seeing two heavies in front and when I looked behind us I could see four more with their lights on stacked one atop the other. No room for error.

Good times.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You youngsters probably don’t remember when one could fly into ATL as a VFR flight, no flight plan, and no reservation.

Didn’t need ADS B in, because of the smoke trails from the jets.

BJC
An fly right over the airport without a transponder ( before transponders and you were just ask to do an identifying turn ).

Turd Ferguson

Over the past yr I've flown in/out of KATL at least 100x. Haven't flown an entire SID/STAR as published, they are always abbreviated, hasn't been more than 3 in the queue for departure. It's mostly dead compared to pre-covid traffic levels. Could probably fly in VFR, do a touch and go, depart and nobody would notice.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have actually done so. I was flying with former Alabama and Green Bay Packers QB Scott Hunter into Jackson Hartzell Airport VFR in a Cessna 182 RG for the SEC Championship years ago when Florida played Arkansas.

Stacked in between 6 747's. As a junior in high school I was quite impressed.

I recall seeing two heavies in front and when I looked behind us I could see four more with their lights on stacked one atop the other. No room for error.

Good times.
Large international airport in between a line of airliners and a heavy behind me in hard rain on an ILS flying a C-172. Tower keep asking to increase my approach speed. Finally had it WOT going down the glideslope and broke out at 500' and then was requested to take the first taxiway to the left. Made it with hard slipping with full flaps after getting in slowed down and not far past the hold line a 747 went by me in the rain & mist.
Are we having fun yet ?

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Large international airport in between a line of airliners and a heavy behind me in hard rain on an ILS flying a C-172. Tower keep asking to increase my approach speed. Finally had it WOT going down the glideslope and broke out at 500' and then was requested to take the first taxiway to the left. Made it with hard slipping with full flaps after getting in slowed down and not far past the hold line a 747 went by me in the rain & mist.
Are we having fun yet ?

Hell Yea!

n6233u

HBA Supporter
I have no plans to install it, I have fun with my Hatz just outside the Charlotte Class B and just plan extra time if I have to fly around it to get somewhere.

I do have a Stratux ADSB-In so I can stay just outside the Mode C veil and not get into trouble.

pfarber

Anyplace with civilization is probably with a C veil.
You may want to look at a map. I live in PA and there is ONE class C (ABE) and 2 Bravo's (PIT and PHL). Then there is NY with JKF/EWR/LGA and to the South BWI/IAD and DC. Sounds wicked crowded, right? NOPE. Other than not being able to do the Hudson River Scenic tour I can fly up/down the East coast and never touch anything in Mode C or ADSB land.

My primary mission is trips to FL for vacation... can be done without ADS-B. Sucks that I can't fly into Orlando or Sanford, but those are not GA airports.. I'll find a nice non-towered LNAV airport outside the Orlando veil and enjoy the non-tourist prices for hotels/rentals/food.

My second career will be as a CFI/A&P so I will need a certified AC and a full IFR suite.... but those can be rented or put together slowly.

If they could do away with MODE-C or transponders and simply allow ADS-B for ATC then I would not mind that, but right now ATC outside of Bravo'/Center's have almost no visibility into ADS-B data. I listen to a podcast 'Opposing Bases' and they say ADS-B provides them nothing at their tower (KGSO, Class C), its not even integrated into their screens.. they need to go to another station to look up ADS-B info via FlightAware. So I need ADS-B to fly into an airport that the controllers say they have no way to access the data I transmit!

FinnFlyer

I installed it in both my RV-3B and RV-4. Partly because I want to be able to fly to Clearwater (in Tampa Mode C veil), partly for "the other guy's" sake. Even in my isolated area I find it useful for traffic avoidance. Taking off I saw (on my iFly Nexus pad) someone coming straight into my takeoff path and might not otherwise have noticed that plane in time. Unless someone in your rather immediate area is squawking, traffic won't show up.

Rik-

Some argue that with an functioning ADSB Out, it can help locate a missing plane, or get help to a narrower area quicker.

Not everyone has the latest 406 ELT for the same reasons that no one wants to install the ADSB, economics.

TFF

ADSB is transmitted and received on the transponder frequencies. That is why there is still a transponder. All ADSB is technically is advanced TCAS with satellite and GPS additional location. Where TCAS was required by airlines. GA got slammed this time because they got a reprieve in the 90s to require all to have Mode S transponders.

I know you can zig zag all over and miss airspace, but it won’t take many trips to figure that the extra fuel money was going to be spent no matter. You would have saved time spending it on the ADSB. Florida is a great place to need ADSB. Airplanes are everywhere. I got IN your say, the others that still only have IN are saying the same thing which means you are not seeing like minded. The planes that are 45 min fun planes take off and head for empty airspace. They are trying to avoid the airspace travel planes occupy. You will be heading into the den. Stopping short of Orlando is like saying your going to Gainesville and driving the rest.

Hephaestus

Feels like the same ol argument...

Electrical system vs Non electrical.

NORDO vs radios

GPS vs map, compass & E6B

Carb vs EFI

Just a new version of the same old rehashed arguments.

robertl

I have a 1965 Cessna 150f and the transponder pops the breaker when it's turned on, so it's unusable. We do plan to fix that but as far as ADS-B goes, naah, don't think that's going to happen. I fly fairly regularly and rarely get above 2500 ft, (mostly around 1500) and never venture into controled airspace. Occasionally I'll do class D just to feel like I'm really doing something. I'm hoping to fly from S.C. to Airventure this year and I have plotted several couses avoiding any class B and C airspace. So for me, no plans for ADS-B.
Bob, life in the slow lane !

Bill-Higdon

I have a 1965 Cessna 150f and the transponder pops the breaker when it's turned on, so it's unusable. We do plan to fix that but as far as ADS-B goes, naah, don't think that's going to happen. I fly fairly regularly and rarely get above 2500 ft, (mostly around 1500) and never venture into controled airspace. Occasionally I'll do class D just to feel like I'm really doing something. I'm hoping to fly from S.C. to Airventure this year and I have plotted several couses avoiding any class B and C airspace. So for me, no plans for ADS-B.
Bob, life in the slow lane !
Is it a Narco?

Bill-Higdon

ADSB is transmitted and received on the transponder frequencies. That is why there is still a transponder. All ADSB is technically is advanced TCAS with satellite and GPS additional location. Where TCAS was required by airlines. GA got slammed this time because they got a reprieve in the 90s to require all to have Mode S transponders.

I know you can zig zag all over and miss airspace, but it won’t take many trips to figure that the extra fuel money was going to be spent no matter. You would have saved time spending it on the ADSB. Florida is a great place to need ADSB. Airplanes are everywhere. I got IN your say, the others that still only have IN are saying the same thing which means you are not seeing like minded. The planes that are 45 min fun planes take off and head for empty airspace. They are trying to avoid the airspace travel planes occupy. You will be heading into the den. Stopping short of Orlando is like saying your going to Gainesville and driving the rest.
Umm depending on what country you're in maybe yes maybe no on the frequency used. In the US 978 MHz is used & not the 1Ghz that transponders sue

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Over the past yr I've flown in/out of KATL at least 100x. Haven't flown an entire SID/STAR as published, they are always abbreviated, hasn't been more than 3 in the queue for departure. It's mostly dead compared to pre-covid traffic levels. Could probably fly in VFR, do a touch and go, depart and nobody would notice.
I haven't thought about it but if I had I wouldn't have thought that.