Who here has no need/intention to add ADS-B OUT?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

I doubt you'll ever hear of someone getting a nastygram because it's permitted under the FARs.

There are two published deviations in the ADSB reg. One for when your ADSB is inop and you need to get somewhere to get it repaired. The other is for when ADSB is not installed with no limits or limitations on when, where or how often.

"Per FAA Policy, operators planning flight into ADS-B Out rule airspace using aircraft not equipped with ADS-B Out may use ADAPT to request an authorized deviation provided these flights are for rare, non-routine, non-scheduled events."

Turd Ferguson

"Per FAA Policy, operators planning flight into ADS-B Out rule airspace using aircraft not equipped with ADS-B Out may use ADAPT to request an authorized deviation provided these flights are for rare, non-routine, non-scheduled events."
What numerical value would exceed “rare, non-routine, non-scheduled events?” 10? 20? 100?

TFF

The way I see it, asking for a waver will have a counter. Do it enough and you will get a dirty letter. Everything is computer today. It’s not lost in a file cabinet. Some time in the future, the program will pick you out and say you are abusing the system.

Daleandee

All ADSB equipped aircraft are being monitored. If your ADSB is not working correctly then it will appear on your PAPR report. You will also receive notice that it is not working correctly and needs to be addressed. My guess is that flight into controlled airspace that require ADSB will be monitored for such so asking for an authorized deviation is not the only method for the counting how many times a particular aircraft is flown into airspace requiring ADSB and not equipped to do so.

Seriously ... if you are needing to ask for deviations that often then you need to just spend a few dollars and install the system in your plane.

I was thankful for my ADSB "in" the other day when a pilot, that nearly spoke English, was doing circuits at my home field. I couldn't find him looking out the window and he wasn't where he said he was (at least as much as I could tell from what I could decipher of his speech). Nevertheless I could see him as traffic and managed to keep out of his way until I seen his approach followed by a touch & go ...

Tailwind_Fan

I mean if I skit the mode c veil for a brunch at Camarillo a couple times, or I take a couple of long trips and fly through a couple of class Charlie airports along the way.... I have an operational mode c transponder and can get flight following. On the other hand I would install ADSB out in my Tri Pacer if it met my price point of under $1k... which means, I will wait until I can pick up something second hand. Why spend the money when it’s only a $20k airplane, and there’s no pressing need in the airspace that I fly in?

VenturePilot

I have it on my cross country plane. When I had a Cessna 150 for knocking around I didn’t instal it and wouldn’t have. There were a lot of airports under the mode c veil I missed going to. You can file for an exemption if you plan to go to a particular airport.

Daleandee

On the other hand I would install ADSB out in my Tri Pacer if it met my price point of under $1k... which means, I will wait until I can pick up something second hand. Why spend the money when it’s only a $20k airplane, and there’s no pressing need in the airspace that I fly in?
Mine is an experimental so I have options unavailable to those with certified planes.

As far as flying ... for a long time I was in a similar scenario. I still avoid towered space if it's easy enough to do. But I do have some friends (one has a very nice private field) that are under the mode C veils for Atlanta & Charlotte. Being a "play by the rules" kinda guy I decided to add ADSB.

A few years ago, when I was transponderless (is that a word?), a friend gifted me his Garmin 320A & encoder when he upgraded his certified plane to ADSB. So my cost was reasonable using the EchoUAT unit which gives me ADSB in & out. Seems the package was on sale at that time for $1350. Works very well with my iFly 740b.

Dunno if this helps ...

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
Low and slow Zenith Cruzer......decided to install xponder, so I installed an Stratus ESG. Built in approved GPS and ADSB out. Done. Resale value up slightly?