Quantcast

Who has built a helicopter from scratch?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

whiteknight

I am looking for information on scratch building helicopters. Any comment at all would be appreciated. There must be people who do this.

Please and thank you

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Are we talking designing and building from scratch, building from plans, or building from kits?

SVSUSteve

I am looking for information on scratch building helicopters. Any comment at all would be appreciated. There must be people who do this.

Please and thank you
The silence of the forum on this should give you some indication of how rare homebuilt helicopters are. With a fixed wing aircraft, if you're a little off with your design or build, you will probably live long enough to figure out what is up and remedy it. With a helicopter, if you make similar mistakes, your chances are not so favorable.

aroscruz

At this moment I am building a pair of AW 95. You may see some photos just googleing.
Also thinking on using som parts for a jump take off autogiro.:)

skier

There's a little more information about kit-built helicopters (mosquito, helicycle, & helicom cummuter) over at the rotary wing forum: Rotary Wing Forum

They focus mostly on autogyros, but more and more heli pilots are joining the group.

abhi@hba

i think most difficult part in building a helicopter from scratch is designing and manufacturing the

*rotor hub,with the swash plate,the hinges..
*the rotor blades
*the Engine Assembly
*a good power to weight ratio
*having a double[Backup] hydraulic control line from the rotor to the cockpit connecting the collective and Cyclic lever
*driving the Tail rotor from the engine and the pitch control back to cockpit
*Aircraft able to achieve auto rotation on engine failure

if i have left any other important point which makes helicopters a complex machine,please add it,i would be glad to learn

i think in a rotor crafts forward flight,if it looses it engine,if the current conditions are not favorable for auto-rotation, a retractable wing ,could expand and help the aircraft to glide down ,rather than drop down like mosquito,but what im thinking is feasible? i think i would have to open a thread on this or does any exists already?

thank you

D Hillberg

Autorotation works even in forward flight, Hover & in the H /V curve, Been there & Done that. The most important thing in any helicopter is the pilot, All Mechanics are public information, The Internet & books have all you need. Most people just don't take the time to do the basics , Power ,materals. what you want to do with it, hover? Go fast?, Lift Heavy loads? Tour bus? Combat? Easy to fix? Most people bog them selves down in questions. Fix a simple goal, & eat the elephant one bite at a time.

cavelamb

This is my take off on a Penni-copter, but scratch built.
Hiller style control system.

There is another helicopter build going on right now, an R6.
It's a huge thing for a rubber band powered helicopter, but the designer's prototype
is about ready to fly. It's gorgeous.

I may have to get the Penni down and do some work on it.
Needs a new drive belt, and maybe braided motor for more endurance.

Masters degree in rubber band...

PENNI.JPG

whiteknight

Autorotation works even in forward flight, Hover & in the H /V curve, Been there & Done that. The most important thing in any helicopter is the pilot, All Mechanics are public information, The Internet & books have all you need. Most people just don't take the time to do the basics , Power ,materials. what you want to do with it, hover? Go fast?, Lift Heavy loads? Tour bus? Combat? Easy to fix? Most people bog them selves down in questions. Fix a simple goal, & eat the elephant one bite at a time.
What specific references and resources would you recommend? And how feasible would it be to build off of blueprints of a certified helicopter?

D Hillberg

Add tooling & fictures, Processes, Mil HNBK specs & documentation. TCDS on certified Aircraft, Read all you can & see what the standards are. AC 43.13 A,B
What size? 4 place? Prints are not enough, But a good start.

cavelamb

What specific references and resources would you recommend? And how feasible would it be to build off of blueprints of a certified helicopter?
Just out of curiosity, were do you think you can find such "blueprints" of a certified helicopter?

D Hillberg

Hiller Aviation Muesum has prints of Stanley Hillers stuff.
Smithsonian has Sikorskys,Bells & Hughes. How will you take care of on the hardware like gear boxes & castings & forgings?