Quantcast

Who has built a helicopter from scratch?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

skier

Hiller Aviation Muesum has prints of Stanley Hillers stuff.
Smithsonian has Sikorskys,Bells & Hughes.
I wonder if the Smithsonian has the prints for the Cessna CH-1? Now that would be a cool helicopter to get flying.

Spencer Aircraft

I've torn our 269C model down and put back together. But nothing from scratch. I actually need blades if anyone knows where to get a certified used set.

captgrizz

I have designed and built a gyroplane mostly by studying what was already flying and taking what appeared to be the best of each and applying my own mechanical knowledge to it. its not the fastest but it hauled me around when I weighed 285 and carried enough fuel to fly 350 miles. Should I say it was a heavy lift design? Should do better now that I only weigh 200 lbs. Maybe I should dig it out of storage dust it off, go through the engine and check out the rotor bearings and take it for a spin. As for wanting information about building a helicopter Mr. Hillberg is the best source of information I know of. I have traveled a lot and being an engineer by nature and a seeker of understanding, a perpetual student, I have met and talked to a lot of people and a lot of designers. But I learned more in two hours on the phone with Don about helicopters and their design and what went into converting a turbine for use as a powerplant than I have from anyone I have spoken to ever. Or was it three hours. He even explained to me why the Brantly B2B was easier to fly than the other small two place copters in its power range. The Man knows helicopter inside and out, and he's on this sight!

D Hillberg

Facebook is for the ignorant - that 'Chinese' coax is a Nolen Brothers design fixed pitch gimbaled shaft Piece of **** no autorotation power limited had lots of safety issues

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Don... long time, no see! Good to hear from you again. We need you here as our E-AB helicopter guru.