Quantcast

What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Urquiola

They say the Tesla Flying Saucers were huge size capacitors, energy sent to it with microwave beams. Is the concept of MW recharge available today?
Blseeings +

Urquiola

Sorry, I am not expert in "microwave beams".
I just look for actually available energy sources :)
I'm not that sure microwave beams are not available today as energy transfer way. Do it have any resemblance to the electric teethbrushes charged by putting it on a nail in a base?
See, eg.: 'Wireless energy transfer', 2010: Wireless Energy Transfer
I suppose other documents exist. A German book for young: 'Across the wide world', told about a group of slumber homes near a radio station having light bulbs fed with broadcasting antenna emissions. Blessings +

Last edited:

John.Roo

Few days ago I found article about wireless charging used on cell phones. It was written that wireless charging decrease battery lifetime.

"Classic charging with a “slow” charger will reduce the battery capacity from 100% to 90% in a certain period of time, wireless charging will reduce the battery capacity from 100% to only 70% in the same period of time."

Maybe is valid only for a LiPo cells, however still interesting to see this comparizon.

The energy transfer from some ground source directly to airplane would be interesting solution.
In the article Wireless energy transfer (the link you posted)
they mentioned microwave and laser beams....
Well... in my opinion it will need also very good research about how this can affect human body. I don´t want to be "cooked" in the cockpit or blind because laser beam (or reflection of laser beam) will damage my eyes.
So... it is a long way of research end development to do energy transfer the way it is safe and approved for aviation.

Best regards!
Martin

henryk

=+ e-soaring ? (6 kW)

=+ HYBRID s...

Last edited:

John.Roo

On Saturday I had a long discussion about the "regeneration" usable in sport aviation.
I personally also beleive that is possible :)

Conversion of electric motorcycle propulsion to light airplane?
Why not. I am not fan of reduction belt (as shown on e-Gull photos), but in case is affordable....
Every electric project counts :)

henryk

I am not fan of reduction belt
-I propose to look onto Conterrotating Propellers=in case of differential gear we can gain
specific thrust circa 1/3 (30 % !)...

(GREEN)=

50 kG =single propeller, 80 kG/ 20 HP =CR propellers, the same diametr...

Attachments

Last edited:

John.Roo

A bit (hopefully interesting) technical facts about the last two flights with electric Phoenix...
During 153 km / 1h 18min flight from LKTC to LKUO I used energy equivalent of 2,45 lit of MOGAS (0,64 US gal).
During 220 km / 1h 50min flight from LKUO to LKPD and than back to LKUO + "some soaring" I used energy equivalent of 1,62 lit of MOGAS (0,43 US gal).

And I still beleive that would be possible to make it better if:
1) regeneration is used when airplane reach cloud base and if
2) prop is automatically adjusted by servo following best propulsion efficiency (calculated probably from torque and RPM).
and of course if
3) better glider pilot is aboard :)

Best regards!
Martin

1590156405243.png

proppastie

Log Member
Have you calculated/estimated the drag from the feathered prop?, Wind tunnel?

John.Roo

Have you calculated/estimated the drag from the feathered prop?, Wind tunnel?
Unfortunatelly I don´t have possibility to test prop in wind tunnel.
Subjectively I feel some difference but more important is energy saving. Electric motor has no compression like combustion engines (Rotax) so to stop propeller would be normally necessary to use "motor brake". But "motor brake" needs energy so I feel better if I feather prop mechanically. My "ideal" position for gliding = no turning :)
LKCR 2.jpg

John.Roo

Off topic....
Please can somebody explain me how this works?
Lilium startup is happy because they raised over 375M USD from investors.

Bloomberg
(Bloomberg - Are you a robot?)

1591766983343.png

...and (according to article in Bloomberg) they say that this VTOL is not only toy for rich boys, but transportation system for everyone.

Hmmm...
Investment is not a gift... or it is? Because I am not sure if I would be happy to get that big amount of money. Investor expects to get money back with some profit. So do I understand well that Lilium should theoretically add to each of first 800-1 000 machines 500 000 dolars only to payback to investors? Plus some share of costs for certification and full production costs?
So what is expect price of final product?

I definitelly feel like a real "noob" in this finnancial world....

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
Start up, issue stock attract venture capital, preferably from people that do not know much about aviation.

Edit: just checked and some Tesla investment company invested 35Million....

Last edited:

John.Roo

That is a very good explanation :)
"....from people that do not know much about aviation"
They probably see profits in automotive industry (before COVID).
But automotive industry produce typically very high amount of pces so costs are shared between many units.

I wonder how many units of VTOLS they expect to sell? And when?
Because seems that there is a long way till certification of some personal drone / VTOL will be finished. Especially for public use...

ypsilon

There are so many VTOL projects meant for personal transportation out there, it's scary.
I don't think we will see this kind of transportation revolution anytime soon, though. The point is the weather. The success of large scale air transportation has a lot to do with the fact, that modern airliners fly above (most of) the weather.

All these tiny machines are fair-weather aircraft. I guess in this forum there are many who know how it is to fly in turbulent conditions with little inertia.
The sailplane folks for sure. We also know how fast you reach the limits of the aircraft especially when landing in high (cross) wind and turbulent conditions.
VTOL doesn't help under these circumstances. Especially when you're off-airfield in an environment with many obstacles that cause severe turbulence close to the ground.