Quantcast

What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
That is a very good explanation :)
"....from people that do not know much about aviation"
They probably see profits in automotive industry (before COVID).
But automotive industry produce typically very high amount of pces so costs are shared between many units.

I wonder how many units of VTOLS they expect to sell? And when?
Because seems that there is a long way till certification of some personal drone / VTOL will be finished. Especially for public use...
With reference to the Post # 599 video:

But he got up and walked away! You know what the pilots say in aviation - "Any landing you can walk away from ....."

But there are two sides to every story. The mechanics are asked "Is the aircraft still flyable?".

Last edited:

John.Roo

Exactly - we say the same:

Good landing - when you can walk away.
Perfect landing - when you can use the airplane again.

I was just wondering how is world of investors working. My main interest are still self launch gliders and motorgliders - idealy with electric propulsion :)

John.Roo

Actually we changed the prop on electra to the same one we are using on Rotax Phoenix - Woodcomp Varia 1,6 in flight adjustable / feathering.
We achieved the same static thrust as on 100 hp Rotax version on Phoenix.
That is good for new electric aerotow tests - this time with "normal" gliders.
We will start with one seaters like very light K-6, than ASW15 or Discus CS and if all will be OK we go up to L-13 with one or two pilots.
Aerotowing with Phoenix with 100 hp Rotax is very nice so I hope that electric aerotowing will be similar :)

John.Roo

Hello!
In Light Stuff Area I found this very interesting thread:
In that thrad has been mentionned relativelly young deregulated category in UK. Basic rules are:
- one seaters only
- MTOM 300 kg
- stall speed below 35 kts (65 kmph)
- no certification, no noise test etc.
And few more recommendations....
(thanks to member "hole in the ground") :)

That reminded me the idea of "Phoebe" project - simple cheap electric one seat glider.

This SSDR category opens in UK interesting area of homebuild airplanes. And MTOM 300 kg gives room also for simple electric self lanch gliders or motorgliders. SSDR cat. definition is clear - no gliders or gliders with sustainer. It must be self launch glider or motorglider.
So... because seems to be also about electric soaring, I will time to time post some news in this e-soaring thread :)
I hope it will be also interesting.

Best regards!
Martin

John.Roo

Sunseeker Duo - still beautifull prototype....

22 m wing span was necessary to get 5 kW of power from solar cells.
But seems that also development of solar panesl is going forward. I had opportunity to see Sunseeker Duo personally on AERO some years ago.
1593664903414.png

On the other side is project of Sunexelec
1593664919643.png
One seater, light... with much less solar panels. Designed for fun flying and not aiming for crosscountry flights. Maybe suitable for SSDR :)

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Lots of good projects here and good work being done.

I would like to see some instant results. Does anyone have access to a Tesla that could be used for an auto tow demonstration? Good power and acceleration, cheep fuel, can recharge between tows as necessary. Could tow anything from a paraglider to a high performance two place.

Runng gear from crashed body could be recycled for good use.