What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I took the boss's daughter for a breakfast flight. Actually two flights: the first was a spur of the moment ride in the T-cart while we were waiting for our formation buddy to get his Rocket going; and then the "real" flight was a Rocket 2 ship down to F70. Her dad (my boss) was a A-6 and exchange Tornado driver in the Navy, so she appreciated the formation work.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing I did personally, but... I flew over to Goodspeed Airport (42B, in CT) yesterday. I was based there for a couple of years about 10 years ago, but it's been dead for a long time... no fuel, no FBO, no activity, just some T-hangars and a good percentage of them empty. Ultralights were tolerated, then later kicked out. The owner just wasn't interested any more. It was really a pity, because it's right on the river, some call it short but it has easy approaches, a seaplane ramp, and easy walking distance to several restaurants and the Goodspeed Opera House (musical theater). The only reason it's still an airport is because it's a conservation area, the owner sold the building rights to the state or town years ago so nothing new can ever be built on it.

But a few months ago a couple of local pilots bought it, and it's really picking up... every hangar is full, quite a few interesting airplanes in the hangars (I saw a Fisher FP303, an Aerolite 103, a J-3, a Flitzer biplane, and a Pietenpol, along with the usual types). Several visitors, the owners were sitting in chairs watching the world go by, they have free loaner bicycles for visitors, and they want to open a seaplane operation.

1616956106911.png

Nice location, huh? That's the opera house by the bridge, and one of the restaurants next to it. I'd probably still be based there, but hangars are more expensive and it's 10 minutes farther away from my house and when the drawbridge is open (I live on the other side of the river) it can mean quite a delay getting there... even when it's not broken and stuck open, as has often happened.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Based upon the initial premise of this thread, the fact that you flew (participated in GA) means you did something positive to save it. Good on you Dana.

Way cool airport, BTW!

Alan_VA

I flew in some bumpy air today and cleaned the wind shield with pledge on my Cessna 150. I think it's faster now ! lol
Bob
That seems safer than polishing the outside of your 150. I'm told that the problem with polishing the outside of a plane is that an uneven polish job may cause some parts to try to fly faster than the adjoining ones, which could cause mid-air disassembly under certain unspecified conditions.........

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
On the way to work this morning, I made a three-way deal that resulted in:

One of our chapter members (73 year old Vietnam veteran) getting a rolling safety ladder for his shop (keeping the official Chapter machinist in good health)...

And me getting rid of a giant soda vending machine that had been donated to the EAA chapter, and...

As a result of that horse-trade, when I put the deal together in person...

I met a guy... who sells used machinery... who likes aviation...

And will probably donate a nice little small sheet metal finger brake and a gantry crane dolly to our chapter's Zenith airplane build program....

And is willing to trade something else we got donated (a big antique Whitney-Jensen punch press) for a small mill...

That will go to our EAA chapter.

Might have done a little better, but I had to show up at my day job :)

robertl

That seems safer than polishing the outside of your 150. I'm told that the problem with polishing the outside of a plane is that an uneven polish job may cause some parts to try to fly faster than the adjoining ones, which could cause mid-air disassembly under certain unspecified conditions.........
Well, I only polished the windshield, so that should keep the nose headed forward !
Bob

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Over the last week... myself and others have moved our EAA aircraft build project forward considerably. This is now officially known as:

Project JACKPOT: Joint Aircraft Construction - Kids, Parents, Opportunities & Training.

We've built more of our mezzanine / second story in the chapter hangar. Today we were installing 15 foot x 2 x 10 inch floor joists and 5 x 5 square steel tube support posts. Our mezzanine will be 18 by 50 feet of usable floor space. We can build our Zenair 750 up there, or use upstairs for storage, making room to build the airplane downstairs.

As Minister of Propaganda and Field Marshal of Fertilizer, over the last 72 hours, Yours Truly:

Combined three separate things - the shipping arrival date of our wing kit, the official re-launch of our Young Eagles program with kids flights, and the official launch of the build program - all on the day scheduled for our next Young Eagles rally. Then added an enormous amount of hot air and horse-s***, spun all of this up into an EF5 level whirlwind, and created an "event". Got the airport manager, who is also the CAP Squadron bigwig, to approve the event, and use it as the date for a bunch of his Cadet orientation flights.

Worked with one of our chapter members (Clyde, a youth pastor and comm/multi rated pilot) to create a Facebook "flyer" announcement for the event.

Created sales materials for the program to start getting the people, pilots, and airplane owners at our airport as supporters for the program. Stole... I mean borrowed... a mailing list of e-mail addresses of airport people, and spammed the s*** out of 250 of my fellow airport denizens with a pretty clever (sorry, egomania) fundraising flyer to generate donations.

Wrote a pretty clever (sorry, more egomania) press release based on the fact that all of the hot air and fertilizer was now gaining angular velocity and reaching critical RPM, and sent it to the local newspapers, TV stations, etc.

Called the FAA FSDO to cheerfully invite them to participate in the youth aircraft build, use it as a training exercise for new inspectors, and make it so they could enjoy some good PR by supporting a youth aviation program.

Yesterday one of our chapter guys managed to close a deal (using a proposal I wrote for him) with one of the largest car dealership chains in the LA region, for a very small sponsorship. I would have given them the sponsorship for nothing, because having a well known business like this dealer jump on board allows me to create the momentum and "bandwagon" that I can convince other sponsors to jump on.

Got a call back Saturday morning from one of the FAA inspectors, described what we're doing, and got him very enthusiastic about championing this with his FSDO office. We have a very good chance of their being enthusiastic supporters, helpers, safety and technical presentations, and perhaps even mentoring the kids as they build.

Wrote an e-mail to the County Supervisor, making a really good (sorry, egomania again) case for why she would benefit politically by supporting this project, how it would serve as "a clear and newsworthy example of her commitment to bettering the lives of the residents in the Third District..." and how "we would strongly support that message".

Ol' P.T. Barnum ain't got nothin' on me... :)

JACKPOT Launch Event Poster by Clyde Carpenter 4-10-2021.jpg

Last edited:

rtfm

I took the boss's daughter for a breakfast flight. Actually two flights: the first was a spur of the moment ride in the T-cart while we were waiting for our formation buddy to get his Rocket going; and then the "real" flight was a Rocket 2 ship down to F70. Her dad (my boss) was a A-6 and exchange Tornado driver in the Navy, so she appreciated the formation work.
Took the boss' daughter for a flight. Yeah, right. Had a good time, did you? Ha ha.

Last edited:

rtfm

I've not been following this thread, but it seems to me that the best way to "save" general aviation, is to (1) produce a plane which any wage-earning guy can afford and (2) market the hell out of it. Price-wise - the cost of a 2nd hand family car. Marketing-wise, social media blitz. Spend a few thousand dollars on targeted social media marketing. Fiddling around with stuff on the periphery, with stuff at the chapter etc is great, but it isn't going to turn the tide. We need cheap planes, and good marketing. Maybe we should hire Peter Sripol...

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Please see post #1. This thread is about owning YOUR responsibility to individually increase activity in GA, thereby "saving" it.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Ok, I did my part for today. Flew over to Mojave and traded some irrelevant 1's and zero's for much more usefull 100LL via the magic of a credit card. This somewhat valuable 100LL was then converted to far more interesting flight time.

I think I've found a hole in the law of thermodynamics and conservation of energy - I was able to make two energy conversions (Ones and zeros to fuel, and fuel to flight) and see gains out of each conversion!

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This thread is about getting off our collective a$$ and reversing the "negative trends" of GA through positive, deliberate acts.

Last edited:

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Last week I posted to the wrong thread about getting another 1.5hrs in a C172 and buying 21 gallons of 100LL. I accidently posted it in the "what I did on my project" thread. Well,in some ways it was the right thread if I consider myself to be the project and working on becoming recurrent. This weekend was a 2-hour ground school and all I had to do was buy the CFI breakfast.......hopefully it's back to flying again next weekend......and I'll be doing that conversion that you speak of. Still need to clean up my hangar to park a two-place, flying something, and have something to keep current in while working on the projects again.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
With the help of a chapter member, we finalized our display banner for the youth aircraft build project. The sample below is not the final version, but it's the only low-res version I have to upload to HBA. The final photos of kids building are a little different. This banner will be printed out this week, and used at our Young Eagles events, build project launch event, and can be used at any other fundraising, promotion, or participant outreach event, mall display, service club presentations, etc. So this little $40 2 x 5 foot banner will be a long-term asset to our aviation outreach projects.

Banner V3 Arrow Bill 4-13-2021.jpg

Latest posts