What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gtae07

I sat through two days of glider ground school--the weather was so poor we couldn't do any flying. Even caught some hail on the way to the airport today. But it's clearing out now and I should be able to start flying my butt off tomorrow morning!

gtae07

Six more flights today (five solo). A little windy--10G15 and everywhere from NNW to ENE. Fought pretty good on the tow but my landings felt a lot more comfortable. And I caught my first thermals! Was doing the practice as instructed, noticed I hit one, did some "minimum sink turn practice" and held altitude for a couple minutes on one flight and gained 300ft on the next. One student (going for his CFI tomorrow) apparently caught some video so I'll see if I can get it posted at some point.

Tomorrow is a practice checkride, actual checkride is Saturday morning 🤯

Some things I've learned/discovered:
  • Flying the glider it seems you almost have to start the turn with rudder and just let the stick float over. I have been spoiled by the RV, which seems to take little rudder after initial climb or before rolling onto final. Thus I was surprised at how much the "pick up wing with rudder close to/during stall" came back.
  • I'm completely, totally dependent on a visual reference (ball or yaw string) for coordination. I don't feel a blessed thing left to right. Really I already knew this but it's more confirmation.
  • Doing a foward slip is really easy until you try to remember which one is "left" and which one is "right" 🤪
  • Formation experience is actually not that helpful in getting used to the tow, which seemed to surprise even the tow pilot and other student (who don't have any). The way you move out to the side or do a crossunder (e.g. for boxing the wake) has very little in common with the way you do it in a powered aircraft in formation. I find myself fighting that and having to "unlearn" a bit.
  • Being trained in "pitch for airspeed, throttle for altitude" has helped me in landings.
  • Gliders are noisy--with no headset, it's comparable to Dad's RV with ANR. But the noise is a good airspeed cue.
  • It's nice flying something with good natural stall warning and buffet...
  • Losing the tow at ~200ft AGL sounds terrifying. If you react right and get the nose down and turn back like you're supposed to, it's almost a non-event--but it's amazing how much altitude you need to bleed off not to fly off the far end of the runway.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I made my EAA chapter into a TV news celebrity, and got some very valuable publicity for our build program sponsor (Zenith Aircraft Co.).

I stacked the official launch of the build program on top of a scheduled Young Eagles rally. The arrival of the wing kit from Zenair was also going to be stacked on this, but the kit never got here, because of a snowstorm in Denver.

One of our chapter members is working on the wing upgrades for a Zenith 601 XLB, and he allowed us to trailer the project to the event, lay open a half-skinned wing, and have the Young Eagles kids Cleco'ing the skins on and off to demonstrate something related to sheet metal.

I did manage to hit the "clever button" a couple of times and submitted a pretty strong press release to the local TV stations. They showed up late, but enough people were still there flying Young Eagles to make it look like a busy event, and the news guy shot five or ten minutes' worth of video to send back to the station. Nothing else more newsworthy happened today (none of the Kardashians were spotted in Beverly Hills), so we got over a full minute of airtime, with an overwhelmingly positive story, on the 6PM news, on one of the "big five" TV stations in the greater Los Angeles area.

The only downside to the TV coverage is that it proved beyond any doubt that one particular EAA chapter member and build program propagandist is not near as young and handsome as he thought he still was. Rest assured he'll be on his way to the plastic surgeon come sunup !

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Bill was that you? I always thought that you were young and handsome. :)

Great work.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I just hired another FTE for my crew and since he's also a private pilot I took him for a ride in the Rocket to try dissuade him from his misguided ambition of buying a Bellanca Viking. I think he's seen the light.

Also, through the time honored technique of shame, riducule and questioning his manhood, I got him to admit that he needed his tailwheel endorsement. I took him up in the Taylorcraft to show him how "easy" it was - and was rewarded with his only attempt at a landing resulting in half the bungies blown out and the airplane now sitting one wing low with the gear splayed at an angle not usually seen. Oh well, its just a few rubber bands.

Time to turn him over to Barnes at WJF and let him beat up their Citabria.

pwood66889

Found more things to do on the `coupe:
* Removed most of the pull start cable. Now have to get the sheath off!
* Looked for the muffler. Can't find that. "A move is worth 3/4ths of a fire when it comes to destroying your stuff."
* Engineered (?) on the place to put the starter push button and the voltage regulator trouble light.
- 90% done, 90% yet to go... sigh...

challenger_II

My contribution? Built and installed the motor supports for my Poor Boy. Mounted the 503. Currently working on the fuel pump mount.

Sound's like "ultralight" stuff, but she has an "N" number...

My quest for flight continues! :)

Bill-Higdon

I did bungees on a T-craft once and the tool I used sure made it clear how much energy can be stored in one of those big rubber bands.
I just about launched a J-3 bungee strut through the hanger roff. The bolt hold it to the modified bumper jack broke , when I heard this I put the little up-down lever in the down position popped the jack handle & hopped the jack got down before things went flying. It did, my supervisor came over when he heard the jack going down. I showed him the bolt which was in 2 pieces & showing stress like it was ready to brake again, he said to put eveything on hold until he got a stronger bolt.