What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
... And NO - complaining about the demise of GA on the internet does NOT count!

There are plenty of build threads, so dont need to go there; there are plenty of "revolutionary new design" threads, so dont need to go there. And finally, there are plenty of threads that incorporate the "failure" of GA and all the associated causal factors, so please dont go there.

In short, this is a daily "project log" of those who have put down the poison pens, the form letters to Congress, and the flights of fancy in excange for - dare I say it - actual PARTICIPATION in the so called dying endeavor of GA. This is an opportunity to take personal action to "save" GA. Examples include a Young Eagles flight, a $100 hamburger run, a weekend out of town, a BFR or new rating... In other words, tangible excercise of the GA infrastructure... Causing a "blip" in some FAA metric... Or more succinctly: An opportunity to take public credit for saving GA.

Sadly, my own report is more than a week old. Last weekend saw me buy avgas, load up the wife in the RV, excercise Flight Following to a destination upstate where I "redistributed wealth" at a resort for a nice evening, then returned the following day. Later that evening, I did a .5 in the T-craft with some local flying and pattern work.

How about you people? Ready to accept personal responsibility for reversing the trend? Lets hear about your progress.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
In the last week: pattern work at the local class D and G airports.

Today: got up early to do the flight planning for a cross country this weekend.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I taught a teen how to fly RC. He is working on his Private now. Providing ongoing advice.
He decided against a pilot career, after failing the color blind test and other reasons. Might stay with Sport aviation.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nothing so far today.

But yesterday, I took my daughter and granddaughter flying. Then I rode my grandaughter around the airpark on a golf cart, and told her about some of the lady pilots here. “She flies aerobatics and does airshows, she is a former airline pilot who now flies corporate jets, she is a former bush pilot who now flies, among other things, an AirCam on amphibious floats, she flies ...etc.”

BJC

Hephaestus

Took kiddo and 2 of his classmates for a hop around the patch.

Learned to check with mom even if dad says it's ok ;) I caught hell for it. I'm told I should know better.

Probably should I expect adults to communicate too. More so when the playdate was cleared a day ahead of time...

Helicopter parents - apparently applies differently outside aviation world.

Marc W

I spent time on the phone with building kit suppliers. I am building a hanger in the next few months and thus building GA infrastructure.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
IMC this week has prevented any flying, but on Sunday I took the club Citabria up to an airport an hour away so the most enthusiastic about flying pilot friend I know, who has been training for an airline and hasn't flown anything but a simulator in weeks, could do an hour of real flying before returning to studying. I also have about 4 people on my personal waiting list to give flights to once the weather is better.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I spent time on the phone with building kit suppliers. I am building a hanger in the next few months and thus building GA infrastructure.
Hey wait a minute, if that counts as saving GA I want a do-over.

I tripped over my landing gear today in the shop so I ended up moving it so that means I worked on it which is scratch building which is posted on my Facebook group and forum for other people to see which ignites passion which ultimately paves the way for growth in GA. I totally saved GA today.

Toobuilder

Log Member
I'm keeping an open mind, but since this forum is loaded with threads "laying the groundwork" for GA, I'm thinking the vast majority of responses in this thread should be "the act of" GA.

FBO's survive based upon fuel sales and other services provided; airports live or die based upon the number of operations per year; same with ATC... So if anyone thinks that buying yet another set of plans for "study" or posting an inspiring build session on the web somehow influences the installation of new airport lighting or a better self serve gas pump island, well knock yourself out.

I disagree.

Most metrics discussing the "health" of GA are based upon activity. Isn't it reasonable to assume the quickest way to improve the metrics is to get out there and mix it up?

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Not to change the subject, but I don't understand why more FBOs don't sell ethanol free mogas. I suspect they would do I ok on it for 2 strokes, and the public at large who want it for their boats, utvs, jet skis, and generators.

Marc W

I believe building a hanger at the local airport is investing in GA. I believe investing in GA is promoting GA. I believe it is "actual PARTICIPATION in the so called dying endeavor of GA". It is, in fact, my assertion that GA is not dying! It is providing hanger space for whoever ends up with it when I am done flying which, at my age, is not that far in the future. I don't pretend I am saving GA. But if building a hanger makes hanger space more affordable for some young pilot in the future then it is helping GA.

Part of the process of building a hanger is a lot of phone time and email time. You may have heard "time is money". I don't know what it has in common with tripping over your landing gear. Maybe you can explain that better.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Signed off one student for an IFR check ride (he passed the oral and was weathered out on the flight) and signed another off to solo.

Toobuilder

Log Member
I believe building a hanger at the local airport is investing in GA....
Maybe. Around here, such an endeavor only provides more enclosed space for jetskis and old furniture. Hangar space is expensive, yes, but far cheaper than a similar commercial storage space. Does one more hangar full of jetskis help or hurt aviation?

Not picking on you, but "providing infrastructure" does not mean the infrastructure will be used as intended.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Hangar lease supports GA airports.
Paying a tiedown fee is enough for a grass strip.
I noticed the GAMA report yesterday. Around 2300 airplanes sold and total sales of $20 billion.
Doing the math that is $8.6 million each (average). So what is GA now? Seems to be jets.

Recreational homebuilts and ultralights on grass strips don't need much infrastructure or gas pumps.
A seaplane doesn't even need a grass strip.

Daleandee

Well ... today I went after work and bored a few holes in the sky while turning some 100LL into sweet music from the straight pipes on that 3.0 Corvair conversion. Great flight but because of some nearby controlled burning that was producing a lot of smoke off the end of runway 23 I had to use 05 to land with a very slight quartering tail wind. I made an approach on 23 (the runway I took off from) but on final the sun in my eyes and the smoke from the controlled burn made it impossible to see the runway. No concerns as I had plenty of runway when using 05 and the winds were pretty light.

Last Monday (President's Day) I had the extreme pleasure of taking my nine year old grandson for his first ever airplane ride. It was quite bumpy and I was concerned for him but when I mentioned how much we were getting tossed around he replied, " hey Papa! Look at those little trucks down there! Everybody looks like ants!" He really had a great time but after about 30 minutes I decided I'd had enough rough & tumble for one flight. He was very well behaved and quite taken with the idea of flying a small airplane. I will certainly continue to encourage him along the way.

Last month I produced a flying song and put it on You Tube. The song was written last year. It actually consist of "scratch tracks" but came out OK so I decided to put it on my channel for anyone that would like to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g

...and that's what I've been doing to save General Aviation. There is another program in our state (others many have similar programs) called Passport where pilots fly to all the airports in the state. There are certain awards at certain levels. My hangar mate & I have flown a bunch of sorties to knock out a handful of airports at a time. Lots of fun and a great way to encourage pilots to get in the airplane and go somewhere! We may go again tomorrow ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
171.2 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm keeping an open mind, but since this forum is loaded with threads "laying the groundwork" for GA, I'm thinking the vast majority of responses in this thread should be "the act of" GA.

FBO's survive based upon fuel sales and other services provided; airports live or die based upon the number of operations per year; same with ATC... So if anyone thinks that buying yet another set of plans for "study" or posting an inspiring build session on the web somehow influences the installation of new airport lighting or a better self serve gas pump island, well knock yourself out.

I disagree.

Most metrics discussing the "health" of GA are based upon activity. Isn't it reasonable to assume the quickest way to improve the metrics is to get out there and mix it up?
You do realize you're on a home built airplane forum, not Pilots of America. The forum is not loaded with threads "laying the groundwork for GA" it's loaded with threads about airplanes and the building of them.

Your question, while certainly good, probably won't get the responses you want. I'm guessing of course.

Saving GA is largely a matter of time and finances. Participating in GA is what most of us are doing, saving GA is a massive undertaking just to fully understand the problem.

Toobuilder

Log Member
You do realize you're on a home built airplane forum, not Pilots of America. The forum is not loaded with threads "laying the groundwork for GA" it's loaded with threads about airplanes and the building of them...
At the start, yes. But its also loaded with people wringing hands and gnashing teeth over the "death" of GA... All the while these same people are doing absolutely nothing constructive to change it. Just shining a little light on the hypocracy of it all. "Airplanes" are just "yard art" until they fly.

...Your question, while certainly good, probably won't get the responses you want...
The responses have been great. Unfortunately, many of the resident complainers have not responded, as expected.

Last edited: