What are some really good plans-built 4-seaters to build?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by josephdfco, Mar 21, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 23, 2018 #21

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If the Cozy was too expensive for you that eliminates most airplanes because all things considered a Cozy isn't exactly "expensive" in the world of 4 seaters.

2. Mar 23, 2018 #22

TFF

TFF

TFF

You can build most of the newer BD-4 by plans only and they sell them on the site. A couple of different plan packages. The wing in the 70's was the fiberglass cells. That has been replaced with aluminum ribs and skin. You still have to get spars from them, but the rest is easy money to scratch. I think it would be interesting to update the composite cells wing but not make it wet. For its day it was pretty impressive and kit wise pretty complete. You can find projects pretty easy and cheap.

cheapracer likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2018 #23

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

I would agree with the thought to purchase an older 172 or PA28, my personal preference would be the Cherokee as scrapper has mentioned. It will be hard to allot time to 2 projects at once and you can maintain proficiency with the flying machine during the building of the other project.

Fred

4. Mar 23, 2018 #24

don january

don january

don january

I like the looks and performance of the Siegrit RS1. siegrist.jpg 150 mph cruise and 4 seater taboot.

5. Mar 23, 2018 #25

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

OK...so a relatively unknown design from 1971...looks like a Tailwind derivative. Are plans even available?

Per Aerofiles.com....
    Siegrist
    Rudolf Siegrist, Parma OH.
    RS1 Ilse 1971 = 4pChwM; 180hp Lycoming O-360; span: 28'0" length: 21'6" load: 907# v: 170/150/73; ff: 6/x/71 [N3087].

6. Mar 23, 2018 #26

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

.. and I 'liked' your post, then wrote mine.

But further, you are not a Moderator, don't tell me what to do or how to behave here, if you don't like my post you make a choice of reporting it or ignoring me.

It's incredulous* in this day and age on the Net that someone doesn't spend 60 seconds Google checking their position before posting.

https://www.shop.bedeaero.com/Books-and-Plans_c8.htm

The funniest part of your ignorant comment is that the BD-4 was firstly plans only released in 1968, before they decided to offer it as a kit as well, from 1970.

*"incredulous" means difficult to believe by the way.

...and yeah, sure, I'm the bad guy here, imagine getting annoyed at people constantly telling others who come here for aircraft building information to go buy a used plane rather than building in a forum created specifically for building your own aircraft.

Back on sabbatical for me, I got stuff to build.

Vision_2012 likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2018 #27

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

The RS-1 was a one off homebuilt. Rudy built it just for his own use. It was stolen and then destroyed by a Drunken pilot who was really not a pilot.
    Rudy passed away years after that happened. Don't know if anyone salvaged the airframe pieces....Interesting design feature, It had swept forward wings.

cluttonfred likes this.
  8. Mar 23, 2018 #28

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Wow, you sure are something. Lol.

9. Mar 23, 2018 #29

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Adding fuel to a fire benefits no one.

10. Mar 24, 2018 #30

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

There is the Wood cf-4 four runner
    Plans are pretty basic and leave a lot to the imagination, you would need to get with the tailwind guys as there is at least one guy who sells a mods and finishing book that would very helpful to a new builder. They have an active yahoo group.

I happen to have a set of plans for sale if you are interested.

1110174-large.jpg

dcstrng likes this.
  11. Mar 25, 2018 #31

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Agree on the Four-Runner, one of my fantasies regardless of seating capacity -- (However) this is one of those plans that you'll need to build the old-fashioned way; the dimensions and drawings show materials and the finished product shape/dimensions in most areas, but not how to achieve it -- as it is assumed the builder brings those rag & tube skills to the table or has access to them. The Four-Runner wing will look somewhat familiar to Callbie Wood metal TW wings fans -- Callbie flew west recently, but I believe arrangements have been made to continue selling his plans.

I had thought to build a Four-Runner as sort of a 2+2 variant (lower powered, back seat only for joy-riding or luggage), but doubtless won't build one at this late date although I plan to hang only my plans.

Also the Wag-Aero 2+2; another established, Piper-esque, rag & tube design.

If builder support is a big issue, then it would be hard to argue against the previously suggested Bearhawk, nonetheless -- its reputation precedes it. Similarly, the Cozy is well respected if that style of aircraft appeals.

12. Mar 25, 2018 #32

deftone

deftone

deftone

I actually have plans for all 3. With regards to support, the Cozy is way ahead in terms of number of builders and the community plus Marc Z the composite Guru answers emails daily and tries to keep everyone on track. The bearhawk has a good community also, but they have the advantage of the designer (Bob Barrows) always being available to answer any questions and to give his opinion on modifications. There are also some great builders manuals out there. The Wag 2+2 is waaaay behind the other two. The drawings themselves are older style plans that require some head scratching at times, although well drawn. There is no builder support from Wag Aero and although there is a Wag Builders group on yahoo, the 2+2s are few in number.

Personally I prefer the bearhawk for its all round utility (although it has been mothballed for my Mustang II right now)