• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Weight distribution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis1990

I was wondering, could the horizontal tail on a conventional airplane be made to carry some of the weight if the c.g. was pushed aft a little? I have an r.c. plane called the funster that uses the same airfoil on the H.S. as on the wing, which means it produces lift. Below is a picture of one. You can see the curvature on the H.S.

The reason I ask is that I believe if the weight were distributed between the wing and H.S. say 90%-10% or 80%-20% then the wing area and therefore weight of the wings could be reduced by 10-20%.

From the research I've done the only thing close to what I'm talking about are Delanne wings, tandem wings, and flying fleas all of of which distribute the weight 50/50. And of course canard aircraft which distribute the weight closer to the ratios I had in mind, but aren't conventional.

Attachments

• RCM_Funster.jpg
    RCM_Funster.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 286
Back