• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

washout Fike's Book question/wing testing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maker3m

I've been reading Fike's Practical Lightplane Design and Construction and I've got questions...

He mentions in the section on wings...."conventional two spar wing construction....Even after the wing is covered, the tips can be washed in or out several degrees..."

How is that done? Is it in the book? Did I miss it?

Bonus question...about testing conventional two spar wing construction...I want to use wood other than certified aviation grade spruce for the spars (not just because of cost but curiosity/learning) but naturally I would like some serious test data to back up my book learning. So I'm planning on testing a wing or more, probably to destruction just to make sure things are behaving the way they should. Which brings me to my question. How much of a wing do you have to build in order to accurately test? The non compression braced ribs are just holding the airfoil's shape and transfering the lift forces to the wing, right?

If I was just looking to test the wing spar design I would only need the spars, the compression ribs, the wire bracing and external struts/or external wire bracing? Am I thinking that through correctly? (I'm sick and on cold meds, so this definitely requires sleep and second opinions) I'm trying to avoid all the time spent on making ribs that would just be destroyed in a test.

Back