Volksplane VP-2 Mk2 wing project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

It was me who fixed the game, with a little help from Fat Louie and Johnny Ice Pick. I knew that if the Series was over you'd get to work on airplanes faster. I'm sending Rocco and Nunzio over to Las Cruces to talk to you about the Piojo...

FritzW

Log Member
Some big guy knocked on my door today and said he didn't want to see anything bad happen to me. He said it would be better for my health if I stayed home and worked on the Piojo. ...what a nice man.

Victor Bravo

Funny thing is I actually knew a few of those guys when I was a young kid.

Sorry that I don't know a couple of them nowadays, as an adult I have a short but distinguished list of people for them to visit.

But alas, those no-neck guys are all gone. The citizens of Las Cruces are safe for now... :)

FritzW

Log Member
Oh happy day! :ban:

I finally got the infernal CNC contraption running again without loosing all my settings. As soon as I can remember where I left off when the PC crashed I'll be able to finish up the Mk2 wing.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Too late, I already sent my buddy Bobo from back home in Providence to pay you a little visit in Las Cruces. If the wings are done by the time he gets there, he'll go easy on you.

FritzW

Log Member
...man, ...airplane folks are a rough crowd. :gig:

Front spar #2 is cutting as we speak, hopefully it'll finish tonight. Milling spars isn't very exciting. I'm looking forward to the ribs though, those go fast and you feel like your making blazing progress.

FritzW

Log Member
I finally got back to work on the VP-2 Mk2 wing "kit" tonight. Bill (the guy building the wing) lives out of state and can only stop by when he visit's his kids in Texas. He's coming out Monday to help me finish the spars, it's a two man job. I'm trying to knock out the ribs before he gets here so he doesn't have to stand there for a couple of hours watching the machine go back and forth.

20190413_202949_resized.png ...6 down, 18 to go

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
OOPS! forgot to include a few more detail mods to my rendition of the above project. Span will be 31 feet (14 foot spars) and chord, back to 50 inches and using a NACA 5314 airfoil instead. Ailerons will be 13 inch chord and will be attached same as original. Ribs will be 3/16 thick birch ply and spaced 12 inches apart. Struts will be mounted one bay further out and will be slightly larger cross section. My fuselage will be 37 inches wide (exactly 94cm :); the extra 3 inches does make a difference. My control stick is a square section tube mounted in a rectangular section gimble (using shoulder pivots) attached to 2 L-brackets mounted to the aft face of the front bulk head. Assembly is four machined parts and seven bolts (no welding). Will be using 3/32 control cable ( 1/2 the weight of 1/8).

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Bravo, I am really looking forward to the assembled pics and the weight comparison with the stock wings when it's all put together.

FritzW

Log Member
There's nothing radical about the wing. In fact it's more "conventional" than the PtP VP-2 wing.

FritzW

Log Member
Your going to have to clue me in on the "J/C maneuver". I went through my repertoire of airplane lingo and couldn't come up with anything :confused:

I think with the full 'D' tube and the (sort of) box on the aileron well it won't need any sort of torque box. The VP-2's deeper spars and beefier cockpit between the strut bulkheads helps a bunch also.

Group Builder