Volksplane 21 Highwing, Wood, CNC

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
...not very far :ermm:

I don't think I've touched it since the Waiex kit showed up. ...but the Waiex is (just about) finished so I can get back to work (soon) on my own projects :)

FritzW

Log Member
Please refresh my memory, what is the CE?...
I've mentioned the CE in a few threads but the HBA search function isn't cooperating today so I can't find a link.

The CE, ("Columbus Explorer", ...named for a small town in New Mexico, not Christopher) is an part 103 ultralight designed around the CNC, tab and slot idea. ...kind of like an Afford-A-Plane but much better designed and kind of like a TEAM AreoMax but much simpler.

It'll be ideal for guys like me and Erkki who are too tall (and in my case, also too wide ;) ) for most homebuilt ultralights.

FritzW

Log Member
Anything that could be built off shore like here on an island in the middle of Europe called Switzerland?
There's a popular saying over here 'in the colonies', when someone is being too picky about something, you tell them "you ain't building a Swiss watch". :gig:

I have to build one first (to find all the "Penrose steps") so I don't look like an idiot when parts don't go together. ...it's one thing to draw something on a computer, it's another thing to build it. I also have to fly one first to make sure I don't kill a Schweizare. ...since I'm Norse and your Swiss, we've technically been at war for 1,300+ years (If you died because I made a design mistake) the treaty of Kiel would be out the window and I'd (me) be at war with Switzerland. ...I don't think I'd win

Airplane s#it takes time... :gig:

erkki67

VolksScout and VolksCamper, this really a neat idea, herewith we would have a viable successor of the Pietenpol series.

This bird could be powered by a VW of any make, or everything else that could power an airplane as long as it stays within the weight and powerband of a VW.

Lightweight to build and conceived even for tall pilots from the beginning.

Heureka.

lr27

Seems like the original Piet ought to be ok with a VW and a redrive swinging a large prop.

lr27

Quite a bit lighter. I''ve seen a figure of 350 lbs. For a model A without the bell housing etc. Not sure if that includes flywheel. Piets are often flown with Corvair engines. Those are over 200 lbs. With a VW it might need a longer motor mount.

BJC

HBA Supporter
With a VW it might need a longer motor mount.
Yup, that is why I asked. The VW would be well forward and might redically change the looks. Even moving the wing to help could alter the looks significantly.

BJC

lr27

Moving the wing up would mean the c.g. would have to go a little further forward too. If it went far enough, you might have to enlarge the tail slightly, particularly with a large prop.

I think the Corvair Piets already have somewhat longer noses.