Volksplane 21 Highwing, Wood, CNC

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
..remember when these were all the rage?

Actually, no. Never saw one, but then I let the newspaper subscription laps a few years ago. The only contact I have today is via this new idea called HTTP. I think it stands for How To Type Plenty? :ponder:

FritzW

Log Member
...I think it stands for How To Type Plenty? :ponder:
Lol. If it wasn't for HTTP (and Roku) I wouldn't have any contact with the outside world :gig:

When the Ardiuno was the latest, greatest thing the polargraph was going to solve all of our printing problems. I made one to print all of my SolidWorks drawings. Like the maslow, it was "much ado about naught". ...a cool theory that's not practical in real life (at least not yet).

lr27

What about using thick threaded rod instead of chains? Have a stepper motor on a pivot at the top left and top right, corresponding nuts on the router base? Threaded rod is CHEAP.

Victor Bravo

First time in history a fat city boy had to protect a Marine from harm, but here goes... everyone leave the poor guy alone, let him get his current project done, then let him build the Ranger, then we can all pester him half to f*****g death with everything else

FritzW

Log Member
Lol. It's hard to keep from spinning out on a tangent with 4 Volksplanes sitting in the hangar. (...well, at least parts of 4 Volksplanes).

Blane.c,
If you've got Solidworks your welcome to files I've got.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Lol. It's hard to keep from spinning out on a tangent with 4 Volksplanes sitting in the hangar. (...well, at least parts of 4 Volksplanes).

Blane.c,
If you've got Solidworks your welcome to files I've got.
I have the EAA student version of Solidworks and its accompanying cad. I have virtually no success figuring it out, maybe to old or rock stupid.

There is a facility in Troy NY about 6 miles from me, https://www.tvcog.net/ that I would like to try and get some help from and cut some stuff on computer aided equipment.

Anything related to VP's that you wouldn't mind ending up there I would appreciate.

I am more than happy to get you an appropriate amount of Jameson.

Thank you.

FritzW

Log Member
A/B Doug Fir is probably fine for the ribs but you might want better stuff for the bulkheads.
On the A/B Okoume there's no way to tell for sure without knowing the details. If it's a cost issue, certified aircraft ply is only going to add about $250 to the cost of the airplane.

FritzW

Log Member
Not all Doug Fir ply is the same, not by a long shot. The glory days of reliably good, cheap DF are just about over. The tables you posted don't say anything about the quality of the plywood. It might be junk but, for overbuilt VP-1 ribs, it's probably fine. Hence the term: "probably fine" <lol>