Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

At Oshkosh I walk past the perfect planes. I think they are beautiful. Of course they put in the same amount of money and time to build three planes. Makes most of them untouchable if not unusable. I don’t want one. I like the regular planes. Some will naturally be smooth like a Falco, but people going for trophies are after something else.
I like the people who struggled and found success. Show plane builders are not struggling to finish. That’s not their issue.

spikews

Ok Walt. A very heavy box of scrap tubing. All shapes and sizes. Should arrive Tuesday she said, I have a tracking number if you’d like.

All of us here want to see you in that Skybolt. All of us here are gonna hold you accountable. I made sure there’s enough tubing in this box to get you enough practice to get a Skybolt on it’s gear.

Start a thread on just your practice if you want? No pressure you don’t have to. But we are all here to motivate you and help you. Good luck! You can do this! Let’s get that Skybolt going!!!!

View attachment 97009 In case no one else asks, what candy/nuts will you have in the glass moneymaker?

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member

I have a love affair with old gumball machines. I put gumballs in it but my kids (and everyone else) suck it dry. It’s probably the jar of pennies next to it that makes it easy to use. :)

spikews

BTW, if any of you were at Oshkosh back in '74-'75 there was a Skybolt that won a Reserve G.C. I think it was. Painted White with Orange & Brown in Stits 'Wet Look' colors Boy did it shine. It was owned by a Doctor (natch), from Fullerton, CA. or near there. I was at his place one time. I know I have a tendency to ramble on. But, what I'm getting at is that I was one of the people that worked on it. I got a flight in it once. Light sliding canopy, 200 Lyc, smoke system and the first digital tach. that I ever did see. Anyway, it was inside a Sport Aviation about Sept. or Oct. issue. Dr. started it at home and brought it to Fla-Bob in Rubidoux, Riverside, CA. Sorry to bend your ear like this.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
At Oshkosh I walk past the perfect planes. I think they are beautiful. Of course they put in the same amount of money and time to build three planes. Makes most of them untouchable if not unusable. I don’t want one. I like the regular planes. Some will naturally be smooth like a Falco, but people going for trophies are after something else.
I like the people who struggled and found success. Show plane builders are not struggling to finish. That’s not their issue.
Yes X100

I feel the same way. I might even do a “scrapper” look about this Baby Ace

Pops

Log Member
I learned that making an airplane as perfect as you can makes it useless to fly and keep it perfect. The reason I sold the 1959 C-172. I built the SSSC to fly and when taxing down the wet grass and dirt runway and water and mud is slinging from the wheels and hitting under the wings, I just smile and enjoy.
Same for the JMR.

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Man Scrapper you are the best. I mean really, taking all the time you have over the years to make these videos for a tiny (relatively) group of homebuilders, that is awesome! It really does a lot for motivation to see it done and hear it explained in a way that makes sense. I spend way too much time watching videos rather than building so I think I can judge them. Most make me feel like it's out of reach like watching Mike Arnold sculpt the AR-5 and 6. When I watch your videos I actually learn how to do something...and often I go try it. Bests of all it works.

So I'm going to start a build thread for the Skybolt and maybe I'll just incorporate the practice welding to go along with it. I can not promise quick progress but I'll stick with it till it looks like an airplane.

Like Pops said your a great teacher so I'll hold up my end and practice. Hope you don't get tired of dumb questions though.

Thanks again,

Walt

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Man Scrapper you are the best. I mean really, taking all the time you have over the years to make these videos for a tiny (relatively) group of homebuilders, that is awesome! It really does a lot for motivation to see it done and hear it explained in a way that makes sense. I spend way too much time watching videos rather than building so I think I can judge them. Most make me feel like it's out of reach like watching Mike Arnold sculpt the AR-5 and 6. When I watch your videos I actually learn how to do something...and often I go try it. Bests of all it works.

So I'm going to start a build thread for the Skybolt and maybe I'll just incorporate the practice welding to go along with it. I can not promise quick progress but I'll stick with it till it looks like an airplane.

Like Pops said your a great teacher so I'll hold up my end and practice. Hope you don't get tired of dumb questions though.

Thanks again,

Walt
There’s people far less qualified than you doing amazing things. We don’t think about it but if you look at history most of the truly great people we look up to were doing these great things in life when they were in their 20’s, you are definitely qualified to do this and more.

Today, May 21 1927 Charles Lindbergh landed in Le Borget Field France. He was only 25. Only 25!!!!! He just didn’t mind failing a little. Imagine what you’ve learned since you were 25? You got this! You’re over qualified if anything.

3639A44F-2030-4701-AD89-C4FDFCDE01EC.jpeg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
And, Walt, whatever you need we are all here. There’s never been a time I’m human history where you have more information at your disposal than today. If you need to come to my shop, fine, we can work through it together. I’ll even visit you, no problem.

But you get those 12 practice projects started and you carefully self critique well enough through that 12 and I guarantee, you will be ready to cut tube, cut the shoulders and saddle cut the ends and tack them and the whole time your doing another 12.

You will see success. Guaranteed.

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well said Scrapper I'm definitely motivated and the skills are coming along. Looking forward to melting some .035. Ha

True the information is available, sometimes hard to find, but this group on HBA is awesome. Some even go way above and beyond to help. I've been on this site since the Orion times, still miss his comments, and I've learned a lot from people willing to share their experience and education. I hope I can give back to some in the future.

I'm going to start my build log however it says I have insufficient privileges on the project log thread? Not much to say yet but I want to start it.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thinking of video documenting my landing gear adventure and how I’m aligning the airplane up. I’m all aligned and it was a exciting process that took all day. I have no interest in doing videos that just repeat the same old things you
find on YouTube. That sort of stuff becomes low resolution chatter.

I’m gonna take the approach of “here’s how I worked through this issue “ instead of a how to video. I’m not a expert, I don’t want to be a expert, I’d rather be the guy who says “let’s figure this out” so it’s a adventure of sorts.

I’m thinking this will be fun.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Billski on here does the OW clinics at Oshkosh Airventure. He’s really the one that should do videos. I certainly can but I’m very out of practice the last few years. TIG is just quick and clean so I seem to gravitate towards it.

The best advice I can give is literally the same advice in my videos. A flame is adjustable, it can be off a little, you’ll be fine. I personally found, and this is just me personally, nobody makes a tip size I like so I drilled my own. This comes with experience. The more you weld the more you’ll want to fine tune your heat management.
The same practice drawing I made for TIG is applicable to gas. Get through the first 12 and you’ll really learn.
Thanks for the kind words Scraper. Have you been listening in while I am coaxing beginners with a torch and a puddle?

Best videos I have ever seen for attitude to take in gas welding is the video done by Tin Man Tech and Earl Luce. 4130 Chromemoly Airframe Construction DVD Earl has helped a bunch of folks finish steel tube airplanes and did the plans for Steve Wittman's Buttercup. Tin Man Tech is mostly in sheet metal forming and the like, but he is also the source for that marvelous Meco Midget torch. Love using mine.

I get all over learning to weld as developing a series of sub-conscious skills and then the concentration so you can really see and understand what you have going. I have had a couple other teachers in the clinic refer to me as the existential welder. I talk skill sets and concentration and seeing the puddle and rod a lot. It is every bit as applicable to gas as it is to TIG, now called GTAW, gotta keep changing the name... But the deal is still the same:
  • Build some comfort with the process, build confidence in yourself, and build those several skills that have to become automatic. Managing the puddle and managing the rod have to become automatic so you can look at the weld and make it do what you have in mind;
  • Learn to recognize when you have too little or too much heat and change to suit;
  • Learn how to control the puddle and make it both the size and position you need it, learn to dip the rod for a purpose and understand that it is cooling the puddle every time;
  • Same deal as Scrapper was showing, good set up, right rod for the stock, get in close with the torch, get the heat right, and know that each time you add metal with the rod, the weld stops for a moment because you cooled it;
  • Your weld progresses as the heat and rod and weld scheme let it, not because you want to go faster or slower. If you want to go faster, you need more heat and skills to keep up with seeing/understanding what is happening and keep up with the rod and torch. If you can not keep up with what is happening, turn down the heat and start again;
  • The whole time you keep improving your sub-conscious skills and your ability to see the puddle and what the torch and rod does to it;
  • When you get into airplane parts, you will find that positions can take work to get useful. It is just way more critical in TIG because the torch blocks your view so easily, so you have to pay way more attention to adjusting position and accepting shorter weld segments...
Hey, it is just a 6000F flame and a puddle of steel at 2500 F... The arc flame off that tungsten is even hotter.

Billski

Last edited:

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Best videos I have ever seen for attitude to take in gas welding is the video done by Tin Man Tech and Earl Luce. 4130 Chromemoly Airframe Construction DVD Earl has helped a bunch of folks finish steel tube airplanes and did the plans for Steve Wittman's Buttercup. Tin Man Tech is mostly in sheet metal forming and the like, but he is also the source for that marvelous Meco Midget torch. Love using mine.
Billski,

I have those videos...on VHS I'm not sure I have a player that can still play them. I also bought the Meco Midget torch, maybe we should say size challenged?
And gas welding doesn't get a cool MTAW or GTAW it's just gas or O/A seems unfair. Learned a lot from those tapes I need to go through them again.

I was practicing the GTAW and noticed that my Meco torch was gathering dust so I tried a little gas welding with it yesterday. No kidding the best gas weld I have ever done. The skills and views are similar enough that my TIG practice has helped my gas welding...or I got lucky.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Billski,

I have those videos...on VHS I'm not sure I have a player that can still play them. I also bought the Meco Midget torch, maybe we should say size challenged?
And gas welding doesn't get a cool MTAW or GTAW it's just gas or O/A seems unfair. Learned a lot from those tapes I need to go through them again.

I was practicing the GTAW and noticed that my Meco torch was gathering dust so I tried a little gas welding with it yesterday. No kidding the best gas weld I have ever done. The skills and views are similar enough that my TIG practice has helped my gas welding...or I got lucky.
Be careful bouncing around with methods. You can do what you want of course but time is valuable and in order to learn a skill you need to repeat the same thing over and over. Focus is critical.

Turd Ferguson

BTW, if any of you were at Oshkosh back in '74-'75 there was a Skybolt that won a Reserve G.C. I think it was. Painted White with Orange & Brown in Stits 'Wet Look' colors Boy did it shine. It was owned by a Doctor (natch), from Fullerton, CA. or near there. I was at his place one time. I know I have a tendency to ramble on. But, what I'm getting at is that I was one of the people that worked on it. I got a flight in it once. Light sliding canopy, 200 Lyc, smoke system and the first digital tach. that I ever did see. Anyway, it was inside a Sport Aviation about Sept. or Oct. issue. Dr. started it at home and brought it to Fla-Bob in Rubidoux, Riverside, CA. Sorry to bend your ear like this.
You must be referring to Dr. Dean Hall's N52DH.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
hey Scrapper, is there a way to buy your content? Playback is brutal where I am.
Thanks.
I’m just not sophisticated enough to know what to do with that question. I’m not interested in money or selling anything but I’d be happy to try and help you if we can figure this out. Make a recording on a disk? I’d need to ask my kids because I’ve never done that before.