Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I had a phone call from a forum member this morning about welding and trying to solve some welding issues for a beginner. For a number of years now I’ve thought about doing some simple videos. I haven’t because YouTube is full of welding videos so I figured what’s the point. He told me there’s a silent majority that don’t post much on the forum but still struggle and don’t know what to do. And not everyone wants to attend a welding clinic or is close enough to attend one.

The guy who called me explained that there’s no videos that go deep in to thin wall tubing like we do in airplane construction and none of them discuss the problems they have. Jody from Welding Tips and Tricks is a great resource but really doesn’t go in to depth. He kinda skims over it I’m told. I don’t know, I don’t watch videos like often.

I’m gonna do about 6 videos breaking down everything I learned in school decades ago. I was also extremely fortunate in my youth to be surrounded by old guys who chopped tops on Mercury’s, channeled, pinched and narrowed frames etc. I hung out with that group and they taught me most of what I know when they weren’t riding and teasing the schit out of me. :) A car fender is thin metal so most of my experience as a youth was thin wall metal.

I don’t know who it will help but my hope is it helps the guy who is nervous and is still practicing and just can’t get the hang of it. There’s very specific reasons for this and are easily addressed. That’s my viewer I think. Lots of people that get ahold of me seem to fit that description. They try but they feel lost. I want to help that particular person. That’s my target audience.
Later today I’ll do video 1. Nothing formal here just gonna clip my iPhone in a holder and shoot from the hip and I’ll be intentionally talking about topics you won’t see online or in videos you buy.

I’m gonna go kinda deep on the little topics nobody talks about but should be talked about. I’m also gonna talk about things that people always talk about but are irrelevant to a great weld on thin wall tubing. It’s very common to focus on the wrong things.

Hopefully this can be a fun thread and a fun video series that gets those new to welding to start and produce welds that work.

In the meantime if you are a frustrated newbie feel free to post issues you are having and I can address them in a video as I go.

Scrapper

BJC

HBA Supporter
For a number of years now I’ve thought about doing some simple videos.
Good. Glad that you decided to do that, Mike.
He told me there’s a silent majority that don’t post much on the forum but still struggle and don’t know what to do.
It looks like there are many more people just reading than posting. (I lurked for a couple of years until a thread on one of my pet peeves - claimed stall speeds - lured me in. Now it is difficult to keep me quiet.) That is why it is important to validate claims made and information provided, and to distinguish between opinion and fact.

Thanks in advance.

BJC

F3A-1

Little Scrapper,

I have watched your videos on the construction of the Legal Eagle and learned. I have followed your posts and videos here, and learned. I will watch your TIG video and LEARN!
I am 65 and been involved in aviation and homebuilts since about 1970, so I have years of experience. However none of use know everything.

You have a talent and share it. Please continue.

Thanks,
Lex

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Little Scrapper,

I have watched your videos on the construction of the Legal Eagle and learned. I have followed your posts and videos here, and learned. I will watch your TIG video and LEARN!
I am 65 and been involved in aviation and homebuilts since about 1970, so I have years of experience. However none of use know everything.

You have a talent and share it. Please continue.

Thanks,
Lex
I appreciate this much more than I can explain. One of the great joys in life is having a conversation with someone with no personal agenda, just a similar mission to learn and have the same goal. I look forward to finding out what I can learn from you as well. Thank you Lex

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper, this is terrific! Needless to say this is exactly what I was searching for. I'm that guy, I have multiple torches and a TIG machince and MIG of course, but I just haven't been able to get anywhere near what I need to do with thin wall 4130. If a person could spend money and buy the perfect TIG and be able to do this then I'd write the check (slide the card). Obviously it takes more than good equipment. I feel like I can give the time to practice now and I just need some direction so this is perfect.
Anyhow thanks so much for this and looking forward to the videos.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Guys, thank you. I hope this next one helps with the Amp settings.......

Video # 2

Before watching this it's important to remember that nobody can tell you what Amps to use. Welding is a art form and like any art form each individual has his/her own style and that really does effect Amp which is the same as heat. It's a heat source. In this video I share my experience with my style with my art form. Feel free to try and copy my settings but just remember that this is just your start.

Each machine brand is different in how it delivers the Amps and the foot pedal is a primary reason. Some professional welders not only want to customize a pedal but the job they are doing requires it. Again, this is part of the art form. But don't be nervous about that stuff, the goal is to have fun. So start with my settings and work up or down from that point. Over time you will feel yourself understanding the Amp situation with practice.

Enjoy

azevedoflyer

247 Blue Mountain Lane - Trion - GA - 30753
I had a phone call from a forum member this morning about welding and trying to solve some welding issues for a beginner. For a number of years now I’ve thought about doing some simple videos. I haven’t because YouTube is full of welding videos so I figured what’s the point. He told me there’s a silent majority that don’t post much on the forum but still struggle and don’t know what to do. And not everyone wants to attend a welding clinic or is close enough to attend one.

The guy who called me explained that there’s no videos that go deep in to thin wall tubing like we do in airplane construction and none of them discuss the problems they have. Jody from Welding Tips and Tricks is a great resource but really doesn’t go in to depth. He kinda skims over it I’m told. I don’t know, I don’t watch videos like often.

I’m gonna do about 6 videos breaking down everything I learned in school decades ago. I was also extremely fortunate in my youth to be surrounded by old guys who chopped tops on Mercury’s, channeled, pinched and narrowed frames etc. I hung out with that group and they taught me most of what I know when they weren’t riding and teasing the schit out of me. :) A car fender is thin metal so most of my experience as a youth was thin wall metal.

I don’t know who it will help but my hope is it helps the guy who is nervous and is still practicing and just can’t get the hang of it. There’s very specific reasons for this and are easily addressed. That’s my viewer I think. Lots of people that get ahold of me seem to fit that description. They try but they feel lost. I want to help that particular person. That’s my target audience.
Later today I’ll do video 1. Nothing formal here just gonna clip my iPhone in a holder and shoot from the hip and I’ll be intentionally talking about topics you won’t see online or in videos you buy.

I’m gonna go kinda deep on the little topics nobody talks about but should be talked about. I’m also gonna talk about things that people always talk about but are irrelevant to a great weld on thin wall tubing. It’s very common to focus on the wrong things.

Hopefully this can be a fun thread and a fun video series that gets those new to welding to start and produce welds that work.

In the meantime if you are a frustrated newbie feel free to post issues you are having and I can address them in a video as I go.

Scrapper
Scrapper,
I fit dead square into your stereotype newbie welder. Seen a lot of videos but they simply reinforced my gut feeling that welding seems to be beyond my grasp!To make matters more frustrating, I always wanted to master welding, specially TIG. And now I have this collection of thin wall tubing to put together and hopefully make it into a Double Eagle! Working on the wings right now but the day is fast approaching in which I have to face the beast...
Will follow your postings with interest.
Thanks,
Azevedoflyer

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper,
I fit dead square into your stereotype newbie welder. Seen a lot of videos but they simply reinforced my gut feeling that welding seems to be beyond my grasp!To make matters more frustrating, I always wanted to master welding, specially TIG. And now I have this collection of thin wall tubing to put together and hopefully make it into a Double Eagle! Working on the wings right now but the day is fast approaching in which I have to face the beast...
Will follow your postings with interest.
Thanks,
Azevedoflyer
Excellent. I will do the best I can. I’m in my shop working on the Baby Ace landing gear right now but maybe I’ll shoot another video before I head home.

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks Scrapper another great video. I did try .035 MIG wire today as you suggested. Much better for heat management the puddle didn't immediately freeze. I was having two small issues with it. One is it tended to just melt away before I could get to my, obviously too hot, puddle. And the other was my less talented hand had trouble feeding it with gloves on. Yes I did just a little with a bare hand to try it, but maybe I need an even thinner glove for the feeder hand?
Minor issues and I can see this being a game changer overall.
Thanks again

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks Scrapper another great video. I did try .035 MIG wire today as you suggested. Much better for heat management the puddle didn't immediately freeze. I was having two small issues with it. One is it tended to just melt away before I could get to my, obviously too hot, puddle. And the other was my less talented hand had trouble feeding it with gloves on. Yes I did just a little with a bare hand to try it, but maybe I need an even thinner glove for the feeder hand?
Minor issues and I can see this being a game changer overall.
Thanks again
I’ll address those two items in a video eventually. Just keep at it.